Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No HDMI cables for premium channels.

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,911 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

Here's a question:

Why is it OK to watch HBO, MAX, and STARZ in real time (HDCP OK) but if I record the exact same show on my DirecTV HR24, I cannot watch it over HDMI (HDCP not OK)? Said another way, if the display is compliant in real time, why is it suddenly non-compliant when the program material is recorded on the DVRs provided by DirecTV?

It seems to me that this is an issue with the DirecTV DVR and how HDCP is implemented on it, not a problem with our cables, HDTVs, receivers, or HDMI switches.

Welcome, and Happy Holidays! Your question is more than fair. Do you have an AVR in the mix? What message are you getting?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   brucefan42

brucefan42

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

Welcome, and Happy Holidays! Your question is more than fair. Do you have an AVR in the mix? What message are you getting?

I'm now getting this message when trying to access DirecTV's premium channels (only when recorded on HR24/500 DVR, no problem watching in real time):
YOU'RE TV DOES NOT SUPPORT THIS PROGRAM'S CONTENT PROTECTION. REPLACING THE TV'S HDMI CABLES WITH COMPONENT CABLES WILL ALLOW YOU TO VIEW THIS PROGRAM.

There is an AVR but no HDMI on the AVR (I use a Monoprice HX-501 to switch the HDMI).

#63 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

While component cabling seems to be what DIRECTV is recommending as a workaround to their serious problem, they aren't a valid long-term solution. IIRC, if the content is protected, DIRECTV (in accordance with their license to use HDMI) is supposed to be blocking the analog outputs (one of two choices). The other choice is down-converting the audio and video and I don't think the hardware is set up to do that.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#64 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

The movies studios are forcing it upon the Premium channel owners, who are then pushing it onto the channel providers. If Showtime isn't using it yet, I bet they will be within the next few months.

As far as the other channels like USA, FX, ESPN, Bravo, E!, NatGeo, etc, I don't think they will try enforcing it for a few years yet.

C31's are HDCP on ALL channels already.

#65 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,355 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

I'm now getting this message when trying to access DirecTV's premium channels (only when recorded on HR24/500 DVR, no problem watching in real time):
YOU'RE TV DOES NOT SUPPORT THIS PROGRAM'S CONTENT PROTECTION. REPLACING THE TV'S HDMI CABLES WITH COMPONENT CABLES WILL ALLOW YOU TO VIEW THIS PROGRAM.

There is an AVR but no HDMI on the AVR (I use a Monoprice HX-501 to switch the HDMI).

What is this ? I did not find that number on their site.

If you have a set of Component cables and an HDMI cable hooked up to the TV from the DTV receiver, you will get that message. You can unplug either one of them and it will probably play.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#66 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

If that were the case, the HD2510PIN component adapter cable would output a 480i signal.

DIRECTV can't continue to ignore the conditions of using HDMI and/or HDCP.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#67 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

If that were the case, the HD2510PIN component adapter cable would output a 480i signal.

DIRECTV can't continue to ignore the conditions of using HDMI and/or HDCP.

Get a box for every TV...not that complicated
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#68 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

Get a box for every TV...not that complicated

It is most certainly complicated if component is the only thing that works with that TV.

It wouldn't be so bad but DIRECTV seems to love recommending component at the drop of a hat.

#69 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,355 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

It is most certainly complicated if component is the only thing that works with that TV.

It wouldn't be so bad but DIRECTV seems to love recommending component at the drop of a hat.

I love Component. I hate HDMI and all the problems it causes. I don't want my TV to talk to my receiver and vice versa, just send the signal and show me the picture.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#70 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,522 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:59 AM

I love Component. I hate HDMI and all the problems it causes. I don't want my TV to talk to my receiver and vice versa, just send the signal and show me the picture.

Be that as it may, it is likely that the promise of HDCP is one of the factors keeping the ARPU under $100. If the content providers believed that there were no protections for their content, I'm convinced that they would be wanting to take bigger bites of the pie.

spam firewall