Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

PAC 12 Network Added (was For fans of the PAC12, plz request PAC12 Network)

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

DirecTV deal in the works for next week.

DISH now the only one who has not signed up for the PAC12 Network. College football is right around the corner and for us fans in the western USA, this is a must-have.

I am indifferent to the whole AMC fight, but DISH not getting this network would be hard to ignore, IMHO. I realize sports is not a big part of the DISH business model, but for a Colorado-based company, I would think this is something they would want to pursue. . . .

Please chat up a CSR or call DISH to request! They won't make changes without us speaking up.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Willh

Willh

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

depends on how much the Pac-12 is trying to charge Dish to carry it and whether or not Pac-12 is co-owning this channel with Disney and the ESPN networks.
Dish Network Customer since Jan 2007, upgraded to HD on September 2, 2010.

DVRs/Box Sets: Dish VIP DVR 722K (2 of them).

long time Pro-Wrestling and NASCAR fan.

#3 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

This just in from Twitter:

@espn700bill
Update per @wilnerhotline who just joins us on @espn700 Deal with @pac12 Network & DirecTV could come as soon as next week, DISH not likely

--
Doesn't seem that Dish is going to get PAC12 Network.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#4 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

Another over priced network.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,694 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

Dish should have seen this coming, though, when they signed on for the Big10 Network. It is really going to stand out if they have Big Ten, and don't pick up Pac12...

IF Dish never picked up Big Ten, they would at least be consistent... but having one and not another seems like a recipe for losing a lot of customers who are on the West Coast.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

Dish should have seen this coming, though, when they signed on for the Big10 Network. It is really going to stand out if they have Big Ten, and don't pick up Pac12...

IF Dish never picked up Big Ten, they would at least be consistent... but having one and not another seems like a recipe for losing a lot of customers who are on the West Coast.

I know for me, it could be a deal breaker when my commitment ends. Depends on pricing with that other satellite provider. And heck, I'll even consider (dare I say it) cable

Consistency isn't a factor to me-I just happen to have attended a PAC school (I don't want to date myself, but back then it was PAC-8 LOL) Go Cougs!

Edited by CeeWoo, 20 August 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

DISH now the only one who has not signed up for the PAC12 Network. College football is right around the corner and for us fans in the western USA, this is a must-have.

I am indifferent to the whole AMC fight, but DISH not getting this network would be hard to ignore, IMHO. I realize sports is not a big part of the DISH business model, but for a Colorado-based company, I would think this is something they would want to pursue. . . .

Please chat up a CSR or call DISH to request! They won't make changes without us speaking up.

Are you sure about the Directv thing being done and available next week?

#8 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

I know for me, it could be a deal breaker when my commitment ends. Depends on pricing with that other satellite provider. And heck, I'll even consider (dare I say it) cable

Consistency isn't a factor to me-I just happen to have attended a PAC school (I don't want to date myself, but back then it was PAC-8 LOL) Go Cougs!

Whoa Pac 8........ Hey, once a Coug, Always a Coug! :icon_bb::icon_bb::icon_bb:

#9 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

Whoa Pac 8........ Hey, once a Coug, Always a Coug! :icon_bb::icon_bb::icon_bb:

LOL-we are a loyal breed. BTW-huck the fuskies

#10 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

Are you sure about the Directv thing being done and available next week?

Wilner out of NorCal, generally pretty reliable, tweeting next week for DTV.

http://blogs.mercury.../collegesports/

Nothing on his web site yet, but the tweets have been up today.

#11 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:18 PM

Wilner out of NorCal, generally pretty reliable, tweeting next week for DTV.

http://blogs.mercury.../collegesports/

Nothing on his web site yet, but the tweets have been up today.

He has the inside info in regards to the Pac12. With the offices in Walnut Creek and the TV studios in SF the Bay Area Newsgroup (SJ Merc, CoCo Times, and Oakland Tribune) is in their backyard.

#12 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

http://blogs.mercury...ectivity-issue/

Looks like DirecTV *may* be close to a deal.
Also looks like Dish is not.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#13 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,132 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

This just in from Twitter:

@espn700bill
Update per @wilnerhotline who just joins us on @espn700 Deal with @pac12 Network & DirecTV could come as soon as next week, DISH not likely

--
Doesn't seem that Dish is going to get PAC12 Network.

Sorry but I don't care about football.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#14 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,477 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

I was a fan of the Pac-8 from 1964 to 1978 (and before, but that's another story), which included colleges from states that had a Pacific coastline. The competition between Washington, Oregon, and California schools was fun. The geographic area covered was the size of the entire East Coast and seemed to feel right.

When in 1978 they added Arizona and Arizona State, to create the Pac-10, my enthusiasm started to wane a bit. When they added the University of Colorado and the University of Utah in 2010 I felt they should rename it the Big Money Conference.

But I do like to watch some of the games.

According to Wikipedia the networks are the first owned fully by a conference without support from outside groups like Fox, CBS, or Comcast. However, their offices share the same building as Comcast SportsNet Bay Area.

I'd rather it be available as a separate package so everyone in the region doesn't have to pay for it.

Edited by phrelin, 21 August 2012 - 12:09 PM.
typo

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#15 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for replying.

:confused:

#16 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

The SEC network was formed by the SEC signing agreements with individual stations in most of the markets and did not rely on Dish or DTV to carry the "SEC Network"...

Each market that's under contract with the SEC can carry any game being televised..

This is a different marketing strategy and does not require Dish to set aside a group of channels to specifically carry SEC games..

Market demand for SEC games or Pac12 games?? Regional sports channels, local stations and the ESPN game plan satisfies most folks..

The BTN chose to market their games differently...which model is the most successful in the long run remains to be seen..
Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#17 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

"The SEC Network" of right now is not the SEC Network that is coming. The current SEC Network is really nothing more than a syndication package to mostly OTA stations in the South. I think it is on some RSNs up north.

The SEC will have a cable/DBS/teleco channel in the future, probably the near future.

#18 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 12:18 AM

Me neither. I actually want to watch Field Hockey, Soccer, and Track and Field.

Football is overrated. Besides, it should be called Handegg.

I am the Stig.

#19 OFFLINE   aaronbud

aaronbud

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

I tweeted them last week. I was told they would "put a request in" for me. Dish needs to get this and add it to the sports pack!
Aaron Lewis
Sacramento, Ca
Dish Network Since '97

#20 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

Me neither. I actually want to watch Field Hockey, Soccer, and Track and Field.

Football is overrated. Besides, it should be called Handegg.

It may be overrated (not for me) but it brings in $$$$$ and ratings like no other sport. Plus College football is huge. I don't see many sports getting 105,000 people at every game like they do at Ohio State and in the south.

For people that don't like it there is a simple method. Turn the channel. ;)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...