Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

PAC 12 Network Added (was For fans of the PAC12, plz request PAC12 Network)

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

No I don't think they will be HD. And only one Fresno State game? Big Fail, don't expect this to last.

No FTA, we'll be paying for it though.

Fresno State isn't in the Pac12. Bigger fail.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,532 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

No I don't think they will be HD. And only one Fresno State game? Big Fail, don't expect this to last.

If you've been researching... you would also see that the PAC-12 stated on their site (can't remember if it was Facebook or their main Web site) that Dish wanted to get the SD feeds up in time for Saturday's games because that's all they could get up in the ~12 hours they had once the deal was signed.

HD feeds are coming.. perhaps in time for next weekend.

As they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Given that Dish is the only national provider to sign for PAC-12 (all the other contracts are with cable companies for various local regional distribution) they had to work all the infrastructure and the PAC-12 may not have even been able to provide an HD feed directly to Dish on that short of notice.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#183 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

Per Larry Scott,

"My understanding is that the games will be in HD but they couldn't get it done today."

http://www.cbssports...orkdish-tv-deal

Hopefully, by next weeked, this will be resolved.

I'm not sure what Fresno State has to do with the PAC12.

#184 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,585 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:12 PM

Given that Dish is the only national provider to sign for PAC-12 (all the other contracts are with cable companies for various local regional distribution) they had to work all the infrastructure and the PAC-12 may not have even been able to provide an HD feed directly to Dish on that short of notice.

The SD Pac-12 feed was only put up by DISH for testing on Wednesday. This has been one of the quicker channel adds, from an uplink point of view.

#185 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,532 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:59 PM

The SD Pac-12 feed was only put up by DISH for testing on Wednesday. This has been one of the quicker channel adds, from an uplink point of view.

That's what I was thinking... usually we see channels in testing for a week or more before they launch them.

The only real exception I can remember was Voom... but that was a cheat since Dish bought the satellite that Voom had been using, so technically it was just a little re-routing and pushing authorization for the channels out to Dish receivers... they already knew the channels were uplinking properly from the Voom side.

Also, to be fair... we don't know how long they tested and tweaked that prior to when the channels launched. From a customer perspective we all kind of found out about it the weekend and they launched late Saturday night I believe... so it seemed like a 24 hour turnaround, but they might have been playing with things prior to that to see what they needed to do.

I still think it's funny, and not taking a jab at DirecTV because I 100% get why they didn't want the original PAC-12 deal offered to them. Dish probably benefited from DirecTV backing out and PAC-12 being desperate to go national...

But... I remember seeing the article that read "Dish is the only major provider without PAC-12"... how that worm turned!

#186 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,585 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:41 AM

The only real exception I can remember was Voom... but that was a cheat since Dish bought the satellite that Voom had been using, so technically it was just a little re-routing and pushing authorization for the channels out to Dish receivers... they already knew the channels were uplinking properly from the Voom side.

Also, to be fair... we don't know how long they tested and tweaked that prior to when the channels launched. From a customer perspective we all kind of found out about it the weekend and they launched late Saturday night I believe... so it seemed like a 24 hour turnaround, but they might have been playing with things prior to that to see what they needed to do.

JohnH first saw the uplink on 4-29-05 ... the same day the press release came out. The channels became active on 5-1-05. The Voom satellite service went dark the same day (5-1-05) at 3am ET.

DISH can uplink to a transponder without putting the channels in the master table that we look at for Uplink Activity - and they can place channels in Uplink Activity that do not exist. So there is no easy way of telling when the channels were testing. I don't have "Uplink Activity" reports for the Voom system to know if they were the same transponders or if Voom's uplink went dark and DISH's uplink lit up or what went on. But there was some advance notice (behind the scenes) knowing that the deal was pending ... and DISH did not have to figure out where to put the channels.

I would not say that there has never been an immediate uplink (added and available the same day or the same moment). I see that often in the Uplink Activity ... but it usually relates to new mirrors of old channels (such as taking a national HD channel and adding it to the Puerto Rico HD service).

Rushing a channel to air isn't a good thing. Get 'r done right!

#187 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,532 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

Exactly... for as much as I wanted HD... If that meant screwed-up HD, they would have fielded a lot of complaints.

To be honest, I think the only ball-dropped here was what you have already mentioned... all the Hopper folks not being told what channel those alternates were on their receivers. Otherwise, I thought it was a pretty smooth launch for the SD feeds and they have at least a week here to get things right for HD by Saturday.

The only game I actually wanted to see was Duke vs Stanford, but it was a blowout so I was ok not having it in HD since I tuned out.

#188 OFFLINE   Bobmu

Bobmu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

Kudo's to DISH for providing the PAC-12 network! Got to watch the Az Wildcats big win over #18 Oklahoma St. When will the games be available in HD?

#189 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

Kudo's to DISH for providing the PAC-12 network! Got to watch the Az Wildcats big win over #18 Oklahoma St. When will the games be available in HD?

http://www.dbstalk.c...484#post3092484

#190 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

I thought it was kinda ironic when I was watching some game on saturday and the "ESPN" bus/RV was in the parking lot of the stadium (at least I think it was the ESPN RV), and it had a big sign on it for Directv, "The only place to watch All of college football"...........heh except pac-12 of course :) Now if we could only get Dish to launch a part-time Fox College Sports channel (FCS), like D* has.

One epic fail from saturday WERE the alternate games on the ALT channels, the 3pm games all started w/ the Cal Bears game instead of the games they were soppose to be. At some point, the correct feeds were uplinked but I'm sure for some subs, that was annoying.

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#191 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

Is the streaming option running? That's what I am waiting for before changing providers. HD turned on now?

#192 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

Is the streaming option running? That's what I am waiting for before changing providers. HD turned on now?

Streaming not turned on yet, but soon . . . Here is a response RE: HD -

PAC-12 Network will be in HD as early as this week. We are working as fast as possible to make HD available.In the interest of getting content to customers as quickly as possible this past weekend after an agreement was reached on Friday, we launched in SD because the technology was not in place to deliver HD that quickly.

John Hall*| Corporate Communications | DISH

Edited by James Long, 11 September 2012 - 11:16 PM.
Personal contact information redacted

#193 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,532 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

If I'm guessing... My gut says we will see the HD feeds before we see the streaming. PAC-12 might even have to update their mobile app before allowing that... whereas the HD feed uplink is more of a business as-usual thing that they can probably do quicker.

#194 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

If I'm guessing... My gut says we will see the HD feeds before we see the streaming. PAC-12 might even have to update their mobile app before allowing that... whereas the HD feed uplink is more of a business as-usual thing that they can probably do quicker.

Dish testing their HD feeds today. Hopfully, 'on' by this weekend.

http://uplink.jameslong.name/updates/

#195 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,585 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

They were activated as you made that post ... although the HD content is not there at this time.

#196 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,532 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

I would hope that the main channel (413) gets "promoted" to full-time status rather than being part-time... otherwise the PAC-12 didn't get the same deal that the Big Ten did with a full-time HD feed.

I'm fine with the ALT channels... and 4 of them, so that seems the same as the Big Ten...

Wondering if those ALT channels will ultimately get grouped with 413 for Hopper customers like they did for the Big Ten grouping.

#197 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,585 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

I would hope that the main channel (413) gets "promoted" to full-time status rather than being part-time... otherwise the PAC-12 didn't get the same deal that the Big Ten did with a full-time HD feed.

BIG10 HD is also encoded as "part time" ... what that does is place the HD channel next to the SD channel in the guide instead of replacing the SD with HD. The setup is the same for BIG10 and PAC12.

The full EPG is a positive sign ... but the negative sign is that the PAC12 HD channel is currently on transponders that only have part time HD channels. I would feel better about it being 24x7 HD if it were on a regular transponder.

Time will tell. Either the EPG will be fixed or the channel will light up 24x7.

Wondering if those ALT channels will ultimately get grouped with 413 for Hopper customers like they did for the Big Ten grouping.

Unfortunately DISH cannot do that. A channel number can only be used for a real channel (such as 439 BIG10) or an expandable EPG (such as 438 BIG10). 412 could become the grouped channel if all the other RSNs are taken off 412-xx (please) or moved to a different grouped channel location.

#198 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

So is the blurry washed out SD channel on 413 a PAC-12 issue or a Dish issue? The alt games looked fine.

#199 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:34 PM

I sure wish Dish carried AMC (Walking Dead). I would have switched over to Dish before cable. I had dish for years until moving 4-5 years ago to Directv.

#200 OFFLINE   rasheed

rasheed

Godfather

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

Wow, I really did not expect Dish to be a satellite sports leader in any market (maybe parity with DirecTV). Clearly, the Dish advertising deal at the schools justified the Pac-12 fee they requested. From the Pac-12 perspective, they had to get a national satellite carrier (and no one expected Dish to pull ahead of DirecTV on sports which is what the false rumors had to be around). We know both DirecTV and Dish play hardball with negotations (as they should).

In So Cal, the timing is vastly interesting because we still have the Lakers networks in negotiations. I cannot think Dish will go for only Pac-12 and not make a deal for Lakers. However, I am concerned that this Pac-12 deal will cause DirecTV to go for the Lakers network to avoid the sports shift over to Dish. There is definitely no mutual deal for Dish because Time Warner is not going to give that anything except of course from local Dish ad time (which they already get from most cable networks anyway).

Oh and the cost next year for the 120+, I would be very afraid personally. However, any customer who must have their Pac-12 is likely willing to pay for it anyway, so this is likely the type of customer Dish wanted. Oh, and if they like any international programming, even more fabulous, that average revenue per customer will do very well.

Rasheed

spam firewall