Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

PAC 12 Network Added (was For fans of the PAC12, plz request PAC12 Network)

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

Dish should have seen this coming, though, when they signed on for the Big10 Network. It is really going to stand out if they have Big Ten, and don't pick up Pac12...

IF Dish never picked up Big Ten, they would at least be consistent... but having one and not another seems like a recipe for losing a lot of customers who are on the West Coast.

I've put up with part time RSN,s and the AMC fiasco and the Disney dispute and no 3D broadcast. It's always the same excuse from Dish. It's always somebody else's fault and it's ALWAYS about the money. Everybody wants to rip off poor Dish Network. Well this is the last excuse I'm going to swallow. No Pac 12 and I'll jump ship like I probably should have a couple of years ago. Shame on me for thinking Dish would finally see the light. Apparently light can't get through blinders. I'm sure we will have the resident geniuses chiming in to tell me to not let the door hit me on my way out but you know what, that's exactly the kind of attitude Dish has towards it's customers that have stuck with them for years and has brought on board many new subs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:09 PM

I just got off the phone with Dish and was told that the PAC 12 Network will be carried on ESPN U. Hmmm. We'll see.

#23 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

inazsully,

You got a CSR that doesn't know what they are talking about. ESPNU may have PAC 12 games, but they aren't carrying the network on that channel.

#24 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

inazsully,

You got a CSR that doesn't know what they are talking about. ESPNU may have PAC 12 games, but they aren't carrying the network on that channel.

Exactly.. Haha.. A week or two ago, was told at a DIRECTV booth to get the "F.." out of the booth because I challenged him on the launch of the Pac 12 networks. Of course he said he's been watching Pac 12 networks for "2" years". Funny stuff. Oh, and he threw a wadded piece of paper at my 6 year old daughter because I provided proof that Pac 12 Networks hadn't launched yet.. A nice email to the CEO Mike White yielded a response.. Crazy times, just want my PAC 12 Networks!!!

#25 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

kick4fun,

You showed great restraint not hitting that guy.

#26 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

kick4fun,

You showed great restraint not hitting that guy.

Unbelievable restraint.. I had this Angel of a person that grabbed me and said, "Sir, you have your daughter". OMG, it was one of the hardest lessons learned considering how I felt. Anyway, Long story short and a great cup of coffee the next morning with my wife, I reasoned that A letter to the CEO was good satisfaction. No reason for a night in jail. :) One last note... I'm not named "kick4fun" without reason.. haha

#27 OFFLINE   WazzuCougs

WazzuCougs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

Great to see so many Wazzu fans here!

Dish really does need to get with the program. Hopefully when DirecTV gets on board, Dish will follow. DirecTV has always seemed to take sports more seriously.

Fortunately I will be able to go to all of the football and basketball games in Pullman--and a few of the games will be on the ESPN networks--but I really want the Pac-12 Network. I've sent in a couple of the requests through the Pac-12 site.

Go Cougs! :)

#28 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

Great to see so many Wazzu fans here!

Dish really does need to get with the program. Hopefully when DirecTV gets on board, Dish will follow. DirecTV has always seemed to take sports more seriously.

Fortunately I will be able to go to all of the football and basketball games in Pullman--and a few of the games will be on the ESPN networks--but I really want the Pac-12 Network. I've sent in a couple of the requests through the Pac-12 site.

Go Cougs! :)

Go Cougs!!! Both Bill Moos and Mike Leach are so good for Wazzu.. So pumped... Not so sure about Dish, but if you still live at WSU, and Directv picks it up, you can watch at a number of places like the Coug, Valhalla (I worked there when it first opened), Sports Page or even My Office.. Good Luck and Go COUGS!

#29 OFFLINE   WazzuCougs

WazzuCougs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:29 PM

Go Cougs!!! Both Bill Moos and Mike Leach are so good for Wazzu.. So pumped... Not so sure about Dish, but if you still live at WSU, and Directv picks it up, you can watch at a number of places like the Coug, Valhalla (I worked there when it first opened), Sports Page or even My Office.. Good Luck and Go COUGS!

There's definitely a renewed excitement for football. Just eight more days!

I don't live in Pullman, having graduated some time ago, but we live not far away. I guess I'd better be finding out which of my friends have DirecTV, assuming it signs on and Dish doesn't. Or maybe get the most basic DirecTV package possible that would include the Pac-12 Network?

#30 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

Nice reunion but is anybody else calling "E" and complaining? I'm surprised at the lack of pissed-off-edness here. New word but I like it.

#31 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

So, look for a price hike of at least 80 cents in Pac-10 footprint, and, my guess, 35 cents everywhere else.

http://www.latimes.c...0,1511937.story

Sports Business Journal has reported that the Pac-12 is seeking more than 80 cents per subscriber to carry its channels. That's more than CNN, USA and FX and about the same as Disney Channel, according to SNL Kagan, an industry consulting firm.
In the fall, Time Warner Cable launches its two sports channels -- one in English and one in Spanish. Time Warner Cable secured the rights to the Lakers and the Galaxy and is hoping to snag the Dodgers as well. The price tag is just under $4 per subscriber and Time Warner Cable wants the channels distributed to everyone as opposed to putting them in a package for sports fans.

And it's all because of ESPN.

That said, Beat Cal!!!!!!!
The only game I religiously watch is Big Game.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#32 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

So why not make the sports pack $ 10/month (as opposed to $9) and include PAC12 in the package? Thay way, you get Big 10/Pac 12 in the same bundle and only those who want it have to pay for it. It gets a little more complicated with the regional tiers, but no more complex than Dish has already done with the regional Fox Sports channels.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to work out. HD bandwidth maybe?

So, look for a price hike of at least 80 cents in Pac-10 footprint, and, my guess, 35 cents everywhere else.

http://www.latimes.c...0,1511937.story

#33 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Great news though. Even though we won't get the PAC-12 Channel, at least the Little League World Series on right now is in 3D. Oh, wait. Never mind.

#34 OFFLINE   WazzuCougs

WazzuCougs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:49 PM

Nice reunion but is anybody else calling "E" and complaining? I'm surprised at the lack of pissed-off-edness here. New word but I like it.

Right now I'm trying to be a little patient as I hope the sat providers try to work a deal.

I've contacted Dish several times now, and there are people commenting on Dish's latest post on Facebook: http://www.facebook....elevant_count=1

Shouldn't we be contacting the Pac-12 as well? Seems like they are more than happy to have us do their dirty work for them. I think they deserve a little pressure too.

#35 OFFLINE   rcadss

rcadss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:43 PM

Right now I'm trying to be a little patient as I hope the sat providers try to work a deal.

I've contacted Dish several times now, and there are people commenting on Dish's latest post on Facebook: http://www.facebook....elevant_count=1

Shouldn't we be contacting the Pac-12 as well? Seems like they are more than happy to have us do their dirty work for them. I think they deserve a little pressure too.

Don't worry. You will be able to watch your cougars first loss on ESPN in full HD one week from today at the hands of the real COUGARS of BYU!! :hurah:

I do hope Dish picks up the Pac but it doesn't look good. Hell I would love it if they even picked up the ESPNU HD feed, oh and AMC, oh and ahhhh nevermind.

#36 OFFLINE   WazzuCougs

WazzuCougs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:12 PM

Don't worry. You will be able to watch your cougars first loss on ESPN in full HD one week from today at the hands of the real COUGARS of BYU!! :hurah:

I do hope Dish picks up the Pac but it doesn't look good. Hell I would love it if they even picked up the ESPNU HD feed, oh and AMC, oh and ahhhh nevermind.

Ha! :nono2:

No, it doesn't look good. Especially when I hear DirecTV is in discussions and that there will be an announcement soon. So far, nothing from Dish. I can only hope that Dish is waiting for DirecTV to get signed up and try for a similar deal. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

#37 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,782 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:57 AM

I would have to hop back in time to see how the Big Ten came to be on Dish... I'm pretty sure I remember Dish having it at its launch... but I don't remember that there was a lot of talk before the date it went live...

Sometimes Dish does things quietly and something just shows up.

The PAC-12 should easily have as many fans that want it as does the Big Ten... so unless there is a bandwidth issue, or the price is through the roof, I would like to think Dish would get it.

Should be a similar deal too... part of your RSN package for PAC-12 DMAs as long as you are in AT120+ or higher... and in multi-sport for everyone else.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#38 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

Could be---ya see, this is a building year. Of course, we've had a whole lot of building years in the last decade or so. ;)

But the Wazzu spirit is undaunted

#39 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

A sports commentator and radio host from Utah that apparently has been talking to PAC12 tweeted the following two things:

@espn700bill
Based on conversations I've had today, I'm expecting the #Pac12 Network and #DirecTV deal to roll out Monday barring a snag.

@espn700bill
@mikey_t19 I've been told that Dish and #Pac12 Network aren't talking.

So it looks like Dish customers are going to be screwed re: PAC12 and will need to make a call to DirecTV really, really fast in hopes for an install date before football starts on Thursday.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#40 OFFLINE   rcadss

rcadss

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

Could be---ya see, this is a building year. Of course, we've had a whole lot of building years in the last decade or so. ;)

But the Wazzu spirit is undaunted

Good hire in Leech(BYU alum and all) :D. I can see why WSU fans are getting excited. If they pull out a win in Provo that would be HUGE. It's not going to happen but it would be a good win.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...