Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

PAC 12 Network Added (was For fans of the PAC12, plz request PAC12 Network)

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

Part of that "D" average is because of the NFL package. Without it the two companies are much closer in cost per sub. Taking that adjusted rate per month I'd rather pay more for the "D" content but from Dish instead.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

James,

I am talking about Dish dropping channels "to keep the customers cost low". I just don't believe it.

Dish and DirecTV's regular packages look close in price to me. What am I missing?

#63 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,103 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

I am talking about Dish dropping channels "to keep the customers cost low". I just don't believe it.

Dish and DirecTV's regular packages look close in price to me. What am I missing?

First of all, you're missing your own point when you use phrases like "DISH puts more in THEIR pocket". As shown, their profits are relatively low - and when providers ask for "a few pennies per day" that adds up. They have managed to keep their prices lower. Sometimes that means not having the higher priced channels as part of their packages.

What you may be missing are built in price increases ... contracts that specify a higher price be paid for the channel each year for the length of a long contract. DISH must adjust their prices to cover those automatic increases. Dropping a channel doesn't mean DISH's cost for other other channels doesn't keep going up.

And you may be missing replacement content ... in some cases DISH has replaced a dropped channel with another channel and has to pay the second channel. Any savings would be diminished (except for customers who subscribe to "everything" ... but those customers also get all the new channels and rate increases are often not as sharp).

It is a complicated situation.

#64 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 789 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:05 PM

I see FX had a running banner tonight about Dish dropping the big ten, so, what's FX's interest?

Ok, nevermind, I see Fox has 51% interest in btn.

Edited by satcrazy, 26 August 2012 - 08:11 PM.

#65 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

I just switched to Dish back in July. I really kind of wish I hadn't. I like the Hopper and Sirius/XM, but I don't care for their games of chicken they seem to be playing. I knew they did it, and I guess I should have thought it through more.

I may be wrong, but I really get the feeling that Dish gets a pass for a lot of the crap they do under the "they are looking at for the consumer banner". I really don't they get ripped in this forum like they should, but it is your house, I am just visiting.

#66 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

I had DirectTV for about 15 years. Just switched to Dish a couple of years ago. I compared pricing on similar packages every year, and for the same general packages pricing was very similar. I only switched, very reluctantly because I was very happy with DirectTV, when we moved to an area where DirectTV did not have the locals in HD and Dish did. (DirectTV has since picked them up.) The average price per sub and profit is almost entirely due to some of DirectTVs high end sports packages.

The trend I seem to be seeing with Dish is dropping channels and putting the savings in their pockets. First AMC and now potentially the big 10 network. Ugh.

#67 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

Jim, the bottom line is, it doesn't matter if Fudpucker is correct or not. His position is the perception that many subs have. And perception is everything.

#68 OFFLINE   ggust

ggust

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

No Pac 12 = No Dish

#69 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

I compared pricing on similar packages every year, and for the same general packages pricing was very similar.

Must not have checked this year.....

Edited by tampa8, 27 August 2012 - 06:40 PM.

#70 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

I didn't but I will. The tricky part is making sure its apples to apples.

#71 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

I will say this about Dish and sports: they are more generous than most providers in our area when it comes to regional coverage. We are in the middle of nowhere, and we get Foxmw, which gives us KC and St. Louis coverage, Fox North, which gives us Minn coverage, and CSNCH, which give us Chicago coverage. Since we have fans of teams from all of those areas it's great. I'm a huge White Sox fan, so to live 8 hours away and still get them here is pretty awesome. By contrast, the local cable only gives you Fox North, and I'd have to check DirectTV but I doubt they are so generous.

I can pretty much assure you they ARE - you can check it here yourself:

http://www.directv.c...assetId=3450006

#72 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

I didn't but I will. The tricky part is making sure its apples to apples.

Yes, agreed.....

#73 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,103 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

I can pretty much assure you they ARE - you can check it here yourself:

http://www.directv.c...assetId=3450006

That site gives me one channel (CSN Chicago) in Choice ($63.99 regular) unless I subscribe specifically to the Sports Pack or Premier. DISH also includes FSN Midwest in AT120+ ($49.99 regular). :)

BTW: The closest "apples to apples" is DISH AT200 for $59.99 vs DirecTV Choice for $63.99.
AT250 for $69.99 vs Choice Xtra for $68.99 or Choice Ultimate for $74.99 would also be good for "channels for $$$" comparisons.

The low end AT120 $44.99 vs Entertainment $54.99 and high end AEP $104.99 vs Premier $114.99 have a larger price difference.

Edited by James Long, 27 August 2012 - 07:03 PM.

#74 OFFLINE   dstout

dstout

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

So the package prices, DirecTV is between $4 per month to $10 per on the high end package.

Do you view that as a huge difference or more or less the same?

Do we consider DBS a luxury item?

#75 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:14 PM

With BTN being dropped at the end of the week, I seriously doubt the Pac 12 Network will popup on E* anytime soon. Course I could be wrong and pigs might start flying soon.

When I 1st heard about Pac12 network, I knew I wouldnt be seeing it on E*. But there's always hope.........The ole Fox Sports net slogan/promo, "You gotta have hope.."

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#76 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:35 AM

I would say that IF Big Ten gets dropped (i.e. not renewed) at the end of the week, don't hold your breath for Pac-12.

But, if Big Ten and Dish come to an agreement, I would take that as a potential positive sign for Pac-12 at some point, though perhaps not in time for the start of the season.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#77 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:51 AM

Most people don't give a rats rear end about college football. What few who do can go elsewhere and Dish will be fine. You overestimate your influence.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#78 OFFLINE   ggust

ggust

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

Next to the NFL, there is no bigger sports business than college football or for that matter NCAA basketball. There are 8 major market cites in the Pac 12 and tens of thousands of dish subscribers who have ties to their alma mater, add the Big 10 cities to that and you have critical mass. I've been a happy DN subscriber for 14 years, but....no Pac 12 = no dish for me. Eventually if this issue does not get resolved, this will make the AMC snafu look insignificant with yet even more subscriber loss for Charlie. I have no problem paying extra for the entire Pac 12 lineup ala-carte or just throw the main channel on the sports pack. Bandwidth doesn't seem to be an issue lately as i have not seen a "JIP" game on Root in over 3 months. Once a DN fan cannot see -1- of their home team's road games, It will immediately become personal way beyond losing a simple series like Mad Men (which I enjoy).

#79 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

That site gives me one channel (CSN Chicago) in Choice ($63.99 regular) unless I subscribe specifically to the Sports Pack or Premier. DISH also includes FSN Midwest in AT120+ ($49.99 regular). :)

Well w/out you (or fudpucker) giving me the specific zip code(s) you're using, I can't tell what you're talking about. :confused: :confused:

I CAN tell you about MY zip code of 62704...BOTH DISH & DirecTV give us CSN Chicago AND FS Midwest St.Louis - with NO blackouts - & without needing to purchase the extra cost (RSN) "sportpaks". And except for a couple (very small) cable co around us, all the cable co. provide the same, duplicate RSN coverage in our area.

#80 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

Most people don't give a rats rear end about college football. What few who do can go elsewhere and Dish will be fine. You overestimate your influence.

This could not be more wrong. CFB is a big deal, especially for fans out west who have (essentially) one league and thus one network to ensure complete coverage. SLC, Denver, LA, SF, Portland, Seattle. These are big markets.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...