Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

PAC 12 Network Added (was For fans of the PAC12, plz request PAC12 Network)

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:23 AM

Oh, o.k. I see what you mean now. Too bad the Pac-12 didn't use your foresight. I understand what it was attempting to do, but I think it created more problems for itself.

Exactly... The Big Ten has one 24/7 channel, and at least on Dish there are 4 alternate channels. I can't say I remember all channels with an active game but there must have been a time 5 games were simultaneous or there wouldn't be so many alternate channels :)

The PAC-12 appeared to be trying to have 7 24/7 channels that they wanted DirecTV to take (and I assume Dish as well)... and frankly that's a lot to ask basically a whole transponder be dedicated full time to just the PAC-12. That would put them in the same class as ESPN that covers all the conferences + pro games... and that doesn't seem likely to me.

I bet if PAC-12 had launched with one 24/7 main channel and even 5+ alternates, they probably would be on DirecTV already and be nearing a deal with Dish... instead of in limbo.

I could be wrong... but I think the local cable markets don't carry all 7 of their 24/7 channels.. but rather just the one for that market OR maybe that 1 + the main channel perhaps.

They wanted national coverage for all their teams... so wanted DirecTV and Dish to have all the full-time channels... and that appears to have been the deal-breaker.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:28 AM

lets get this Pac12 thing worked out.. I'm getting impatient

#123 OFFLINE   bschulte

bschulte

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

Basketball season will be here before we know it. It would be hard to get the games from all 12 teams on one channel.

Just so you guys know, the BTN does NOT carry basketball games on alternate channels, only football games. As an alum of the University of Illinois and a rabid college hoops fan I've learned this the hard way. For the early season games where everyone is playing "Directional U", the less attractive games are internet pay per view only. I've had to subscribe to the Big Ten Digital Media service (forget the exact name) the last few years to get some early season Illini games against patsies.

PS As a current DISH subscriber, DISH could not care one iota less about sports programming. They don't carry the two main New York RSNs, why would they have a problem not carrying the Pac 12 Network? Just saying. Once my two young sons get old enough to watch sports, I'll be moving over to DirecTV. Like I said, as a rabid college basketball fan, I would LOVE to have all 7 of these channels, and I can almost guarantee you DirecTV will have them before DISH ever does.

#124 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Just so you guys know, the BTN does NOT carry basketball games on alternate channels, only football games. As an alum of the University of Illinois and a rabid college hoops fan I've learned this the hard way. For the early season games where everyone is playing "Directional U", the less attractive games are internet pay per view only. I've had to subscribe to the Big Ten Digital Media service (forget the exact name) the last few years to get some early season Illini games against patsies.

PS As a current DISH subscriber, DISH could not care one iota less about sports programming. They don't carry the two main New York RSNs, why would they have a problem not carrying the Pac 12 Network? Just saying. Once my two young sons get old enough to watch sports, I'll be moving over to DirecTV. Like I said, as a rabid college basketball fan, I would LOVE to have all 7 of these channels, and I can almost guarantee you DirecTV will have them before DISH ever does.

With the incentives "D" is offering, why wait?

#125 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,900 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

A channel called "PAC12" is testing on channel 413.

In SD, not available to subscribers. Channels tested do no always become active.

#126 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

That's progress of a sort... they have to start somewhere. It at least indicates they are talking and have some kind of link to test delivery of a feed.

IF that works and they make a contract... then I would hope to see an HD feed followed quickly by some alternates.

#127 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

I posted this over at the Dish support foum, but may as well post it here, too ~

I'm curious if the SD testing actually has any meaning w/respect to the final product. Would not make a lot of sense to go through all the trouble of negotiation and adding just to carry in standard definition, IMO. I don't even bother with ESPNU (may as well not have it), given it is non-HD. I'm hoping an HD feed (even if it is just the national one) is the plan.

Of course, we would want regional channels, too (like what they do with Root/Fox regionals), but I guess one step at a time.

#128 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,900 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:12 PM

Currently all RSNs DISH carries are in SD. BTN is also carried in HD 24/7, but it is the only one. Every other RSN channel is only carried in HD when there is a game (and only selected games).

It would be nice to see a placemarker for a HD channel but they are easy to put up if a deal is reached.

#129 OFFLINE   superdeluxe

superdeluxe

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

Sa this earlier at wilner hotline page. Apparently it is no longer up:

https://mobile.twitt...1547397?photo=1

#130 OFFLINE   WazzuCougs

WazzuCougs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

Letter from Pac-12 to Dish customers:

http://pac-12.com/po...rfan/index.html
--------
I called Dish and requested the Pac-12 Network. The CSR put me on hold, then returned to say that Dish has a contract with Pac-12 Network, but that the games wouldn't be on this weekend. Next week we would have more details.

This is great news! But how accurate is the CSR's info?

Edited by WazzuCougs, 06 September 2012 - 09:02 PM.

#131 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:58 PM

Letter from Pac-12 to Dish customers:

http://pac-12.com/po...rfan/index.html

wholly crap, this is getting ridiculous. All these providers come to the table and then walk.

#132 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,900 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

I get tired of multi-million (billion) dollar companies making emotional pleas using their potential subscribers as leverage.

Work the deal ... add the channel or don't add the channel ... agree to be carried or don't agree to be carried. But STOP using viewers as pawns.

We shouldn't be hearing "leaks" out of the negotiations. :(

#133 OFFLINE   WazzuCougs

WazzuCougs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:27 PM

I edited my post above because I called Dish and requested the network, then added what I was told by the CSR. What do you make of what I was told as far as it being accurate?

#134 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,900 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:34 PM

If a deal were 100% done Pac-12 wouldn't be posting that it wasn't, would they (unless the facts changed after their web guy went home).

I really doubt a CSR has that information at this point. We've seen channels test and be added before our resident "DIRT" members admit that there is a deal. And DIRT knows more than most.

#135 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:08 PM

Heck, when I called the CSR was absolutely positive that the Pac-12 Network would be shown on ESPNU.

#136 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:30 PM

If a deal were 100% done Pac-12 wouldn't be posting that it wasn't, would they (unless the facts changed after their web guy went home).

I really doubt a CSR has that information at this point. We've seen channels test and be added before our resident "DIRT" members admit that there is a deal. And DIRT knows more than most.

I doubt a DIRT member would touch this thread with a 10-meter cattle prod. Too hot, too in flux, too hush hush.

Bet we find out something in the PM on Friday.

#137 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:53 PM

I get tired of multi-million (billion) dollar companies making emotional pleas using their potential subscribers as leverage.

Work the deal ... add the channel or don't add the channel ... agree to be carried or don't agree to be carried. But STOP using viewers as pawns.

We shouldn't be hearing "leaks" out of the negotiations. :(

100% agreement here. BOTH sides use the subscribers/viewers as leverage and it has gotten old. I too blame both sides for talking about negotiations in public while they are ongoing.

It's bad enough after negotiations fall through when the mudslinging starts... but while negotiating they really should both be quiet.

In this particular case, I could be wrong, but I think the only noise is coming from PAC-12... I haven't see Dish saying anything... but DirecTV and PAC-12 have been going at each other over it. That stuff just makes both sides look bad.

#138 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,699 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:17 AM

I forgot to post this link yesterday...

http://www.pacificta...12-network-dish

It contains a nice shout-out link to DBSTalk's Uplink thread for spying the uplink of the SD PAC-12 channel the other day.

#139 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

SD? Not for this guy. I spend a couple grand for a HD TV, lease a HD DVR, and now I'm going to watch a football game in SD? I won't watch anything in SD. Haven't for years and won't start now. Let's see. We have 7" and 10" tablets in HD from $199. We have Smart phones that can download just about anything and watch TV shows and movies. We can stream just about anything from the internet direct to our TV's. And we're going to be fed a SD signal for college football games? Is this 1992 or 2012? HD technology has been around for years now (to the point that Dish advertises HD "Free for Life"). Giving me SD only for anything is like offering me a new car with a carb instead of fuel injection, or a new release DVD in full screen only, or dial up internet. Hey, I'm 65 years old and well remember the good old days, and I'm not anxious to go back to those days. SD in 2012? Thanks but no thanks.

Edited by inazsully, 07 September 2012 - 11:16 AM.

#140 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 671 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

100% agreement here. BOTH sides use the subscribers/viewers as leverage and it has gotten old. I too blame both sides for talking about negotiations in public while they are ongoing.

It's bad enough after negotiations fall through when the mudslinging starts... but while negotiating they really should both be quiet.

Stewart, we have gone after each other in posts on here, but we are on the same page here.

When the guy who owned a lot of networks affiliates in our area threatened to pull our CBS and Fox channels (in NFL season) he ran the standard banners on the channels. "Dish is threatening to black out your channels" blah blah blah. To be fair, Dish then started running their own banners and ads with a website link for their side of things, so it was both sides doing the mudslinging. I did a LOT of homework and was a little torn on who was "right" and who was "wrong" - BUT the affiliate owner made it easy for me. He posted phone #s to call, and I discovered at least one of these was the cell phone of a Dish rep. I had talked to her about this, and found out she had to disconnect her phone because of this.

At this point, I took a pad of paper and spent time watching the local Fox and CBS channels and made note of every local advertiser. I then wrote both paper mails and emails to the affiliate owner and copied the advertisers (and did the homework to figure out who to copy at the advertisers, e.g. the owner of the car dealership advertising, the owner of the vet clinic, etc.) and expressed my disgust at the affiliate owner holding me, as a viewer, hostage in his attempt to get more money from Dish and his way of doing that including posting cell phone numbers that were not "official" Dish company phone numbers. I stated that our family, as a result, had already changed our viewing of the local news shows from the CBS affiliate that we watched at 6 and 10 to the ABC affiliate, etc. etc.

I actually got emails back from about 2/3rds of the advertisers telling me they were not aware of his tactics and that they shared my feelings. When I saw that, I put together a small campaign in our area to mail the owner and the advertisers. Several of the advertisers told me they were pulling some of their ads, and even more dropped their advertising on the affiliates news programs (I assume it is an easier decision to drop your advertising on those than it is to pull your ads from Glee or the weekly NFL game.)

FWIW.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...