Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

PAC 12 Network Added (was For fans of the PAC12, plz request PAC12 Network)

• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

Awesome awesome news.

Hey, we won! I'm the original thread starter. Do I get some sort of fruit basket?

no fruit.... just get to hang out with us nuts here...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:56 AM

A couple of phrases in the Pac-12 announcement are noteworthy. Apparently the Pac-12 sweetened the deal for Dish by granting some exclusive rights.

and....

Does anyone else read that last quote to mean that for multiple years... Dish will be the only satellite provider? Did Larry Scott totally sell out to the highest bidder between Dish and Directv?

I read this to be a multi-year agreement if Multichannel's news reporting is correct.

I also read this now means that Dish is now the exclusive satellite sponsor of the Pac 12. I don't read it that the content cannot be shown elsewhere. But I do think it's not what Directv wants its customers to see - advertising for Dish and their lower rates all over Directv should they come to a deal.

http://www.multichan...tion_Lineup.php

"Dish's multiyear agreement will place the Pac-12 Networks on the distributor's America's Top 120+ and packages above that level of service for customers within the conference's six-state footprint"

"The new agreement also provides Dish with exclusive category sponsorship for Pac-12 athletic programs. The sponsorship includes stadium signage and logo rights with each of the member schools, a roster that includes No. 2 USC and crosstown rival UCLA."

#163 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:56 AM

With about 30+ sports channels now, did we really need another 12? Just like drugs... Some cannot get enough.

Dish has way more than 30 sports channels if you count the part-time feeds...

But they didn't just add 12 more channels.

For the moment it looks like they really only added 1 new channel... and the 2 overflow feeds are going to use existing part-time channel blocks...

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#164 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:57 AM

I still hate exclusive deals even if my provider has the channels. Me I am hoping the Iphone app gets launched soon cause my laptop has to stream with the sucky Adobe flash video. I wanna stream thru my Apple HDMI av adapter in 720p.

Launching the channel only in SD as well? That's terrible! WTF--ing F?

#165 OFFLINE   monoparadox

monoparadox

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

I'm sitting here watching BTN and hear there is an announcement coming at 10 am CDT. Suppose Charlie closed the deal with PAC-12 and then used it as leverage with the BTN?

The fox?

#166 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

Congrads to Dish subscribers. Now I am wanting to know is it exclusively the only provider you can get games on, as the press release stated it is the only satellite provider to have them, or is this just temporary as its the only provider so far to have them.

#167 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,765 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

Now just waiting to see what lights up, when, and when the EPG gets an update for the games!

413 lit at 8:11am ET ... the alt channels EPG is showing games (at 3pm ET and 10:30pm ET).

As far as the press release ... at 3am DISH was the only satellite carrier with a deal for Pac-12. The item in the press release noted as exclusive is the stadium advertising and other promotion of DISH by the member schools. I don't see it as precluding DirecTV from ever getting the channel(s) --- but viewers will be seeing DISH ads.

#168 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

413 lit at 8:11am ET ... the alt channels EPG is showing games (at 3pm ET and 10:30pm ET).

Those ALT channels (445 and 446) are showing "No Info" for me at 3pm... which is a change... but no game-specific info for me yet.

#169 OFFLINE   cjrleimer

cjrleimer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:38 AM

Per Jon Wilner: The exclusiveity is for advertising and sponsorship only.

#170 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,765 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

Those ALT channels (445 and 446) are showing "No Info" for me at 3pm... which is a change... but no game-specific info for me yet.

Your EPG may be out of date - Check again after noon ET when the games are the "next" event on each channel.

At 3pm I see:
413 College Football - Souther Utah at California
445 (412-33) CFB: Scramento St vs Colorado
446 (412-34) CFB: Washington at Washington St (Programming subject to blackouts)

BTW: The Hopper channel numbering is annoying me. :(

#171 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

Yeah... it is way easier to find 445 and 446 than it would be to find 412-33 and -34 in a collapsed list...

I may have to reset my receiver anyway, I think all these uplinks are confusing it because it just became very sluggish... so maybe that will help the EPG update too.

#172 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:08 PM

Per Jon Wilner: The exclusiveity is for advertising and sponsorship only.

Wilner is the same guy who weeks ago claimed the DirecTV deal was imminent. He also said those with Dish should "seek other options". And just two days ago said the possibility of Dish picking up the games for this weekend was "highly unllikely."

I don't know what kind of reporter he is for NorCal sports, but for the Network carriage deals, he has been completely useless.

#173 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

Good god can the main channel 413 look any worse? The alt channel games look fine. Main channel is washed out and blurry!!!

#174 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:43 PM

I'm guessing that they didn't want to risk trying to uplink the HD channels on a weekend without testing them, as the alternate feed games seem to only be SD as well.

Fingers crossed that HD shows up next weekend.

#175 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:15 PM

For SD it really does not look all that bad.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#176 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,418 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:55 PM

Awesome awesome news.

Hey, we won! I'm the original thread starter. Do I get some sort of fruit basket?

Sure. Here you go: :grin:

Posted Image

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#177 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:14 AM

That's a pretty good looking fruit basket... now I'm hungry!

#178 OFFLINE   insimbi

insimbi

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

Sorry if it's been posted already, but will 413 and the other channels be in HD soon?

#179 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:16 PM

This article (if accurate) might answer some questions, while raising others...

http://www.pacificta...3-online-stream

"Only the Pac-12 National Network will be carried, with the remainder of the content available on overflow channels."

"The regional channels will be available online via Pac-12 Now at a later date after the Pac-12 and Dish get everything installed in an orderly fashion."

"There could be one piece of bad news: If the original uplink was true, channel 413 was meant for standard definition ... However, it seems like the hope in the Pac-12 offices is that high-definition will be available soon, if not today."

So... it would seem like the national channel full-time, plus some part-time feeds for overflow games (presumably for football and maybe even basketball unlike the Big Ten deal).

Big never used the overflow for basketball and never planed for it (at network launch cable systems did not have the bandwidth for the alt basketball feeds so they never planed to have them)
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#180 OFFLINE   Art7220

Art7220

Godfather

• Registered
  • 337 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

No I don't think they will be HD. And only one Fresno State game? Big Fail, don't expect this to last.

No FTA, we'll be paying for it though.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...