Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 wiring

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

Since I have 2 DRs, I have 4 wires running from the lnb. If I were to switch one to an HR34, would I need more wires (an indoor splitter?)

Since I'm already hooked up for SWiM, do I just need the 1 sat feed? If I need new equipment, I'll try to arrange a professional install.

Edited by ejjames, 20 August 2012 - 04:32 PM.

Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 576 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:31 PM

The HR34 requires a SWM connection to the satellite. See this site:
http://www.solidsignal.com/p/?p=3758
If you order an HR34 from DirecTV, they should set you up with a SWM dish and whatever else you need.

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x08c2
DirecTV since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   zuf

zuf

Icon

• Registered
  • 605 posts
  • LocationSouthern Utah

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

From your post I'm assuming that two of the four wires go directly to each of the two DVRs; that is, your current setup has no switches involved. The HR34 requires a SWM (either switch or LNB). One option would to take the four wires from the dish into a SWM switch, and then a single cable from there to the HR34.

For the one existing DVR that you keep, you can pull a single cable from the SWM to it if it is SWM-capable. If is not SWM capable, you can use the legacy ports on the SWM switch to connect it (you'll need two cables to keep both tuners active).

#4 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

From your post I'm assuming that two of the four wires go directly to each of the two DVRs; that is, your current setup has no switches involved. The HR34 requires a SWM (either switch or LNB). One option would to take the four wires from the dish into a SWM switch, and then a single cable from there to the HR34.

For the one existing DVR that you keep, you can pull a single cable from the SWM to it if it is SWM-capable. If is not SWM capable, you can use the legacy ports on the SWM switch to connect it (you'll need two cables to keep both tuners active).

Correct, I have a SWiM lnb, no indoor switches, and both receivers are swim capable. So is it as simple as swapping one receiver for the HR34?

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,767 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

Ok, hang on. Do you just have the two DVRs or is there any other boxes? Who installed your SWM system? Based on two DVRs, you should have only one line coming from the LNB, not 4. That's the standard install that DirecTV does.

#6 OFFLINE   zuf

zuf

Icon

• Registered
  • 605 posts
  • LocationSouthern Utah

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

I'm a little confused here, too. With a SWM-LNB you should only have a single cable coming from the LNB. That would go to a switch *somewhere* (could be outside, I suppose). From there you should have a single cable to each DVR. The two cables to each DVR setup I described initially would be seen without SWM.

#7 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

I guess I'm not really sure. I'm disabled, and haven't checked it out for myself. I'm almost positive I have a swm lnb. Either way, I suppose I should get it professional installation.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,767 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

I guess I'm not really sure. I'm disabled, and haven't checked it out for myself. I'm almost positive I have a swm lnb. Either way, I suppose I should get it professional installation.

Easiest check, press dash on your remote when the receiver is on live TV or playing a recording. If it says SWIM connected, you have it. I'm thinking you don't.

#9 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:06 PM

I have 1 sat cable going to each receiver and have swim readings on the signal strength screen.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,767 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

Simple install then. Though, thinking about it now, I think DirecTV requires professional install when ordering from them. But in reality, it's a simple swap out.

#11 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

Since it should be a straight forward install, I'm thinking of ordering myself for a self-install. (We live in central ND and the earliest a truck roll can be scheduled is September 20!)
Directv will credit my account once I activate the HR34.

Does anyone see a problem with this? How about a good site sponsor from which to buy?

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#12 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

Since it should be a straight forward install, I'm thinking of ordering myself for a self-install. (We live in central ND and the earliest a truck roll can be scheduled is September 20!)
Directv will credit my account once I activate the HR34.

Does anyone see a problem with this? How about a good site sponsor from which to buy?

http://www.solidsign...-HD-DVR-(HR34)-

Don't forget this is a leased unit, you won't own this.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#13 OFFLINE   w6fxj

w6fxj

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:54 PM

Guys - I just had an HR34 added to an existing swm dish feeding four HR21s. The LNB I was using had a single RG6 cable feeding an 8-way splitter. It had a power inserter one of the HR21 DVR cables. However, the installation tech said that would not work with the new HR34 DVR. He replaced my SWM LNB with what looked like old 4-port LNB and fed the cables to what looked like the old SWM switch that I several years ago when I first added the DECA boxes to all four DVRs. He removed the old 19 volt power supply and installed a new 29 volt supply that feeds the new SWM switch via its own RG6 cable. The installer replaced my old SWM splitter with two 8-way splitters.

All the HR21 DVRs work like before. The new HR34 works as advertised. I am trying to figure out why the installer changed out what should have been a compatible SWM system. - Bill

#14 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,975 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:20 AM

Guys - I just had an HR34 added to an existing swm dish feeding four HR21s. The LNB I was using had a single RG6 cable feeding an 8-way splitter. It had a power inserter one of the HR21 DVR cables. However, the installation tech said that would not work with the new HR34 DVR. He replaced my SWM LNB with what looked like old 4-port LNB and fed the cables to what looked like the old SWM switch that I several years ago when I first added the DECA boxes to all four DVRs. He removed the old 19 volt power supply and installed a new 29 volt supply that feeds the new SWM switch via its own RG6 cable. The installer replaced my old SWM splitter with two 8-way splitters.

All the HR21 DVRs work like before. The new HR34 works as advertised. I am trying to figure out why the installer changed out what should have been a compatible SWM system. - Bill

Because your previous SWiM system was not compatible when adding the HR34. The SWiM LNB can only accommodate up to 8 satellite tuners.

The 4 HR21s + the HR34 = 13 tuners total. Therefore you need a SWiM-16 outboard module which can supply up to 16 tuners, 8 on each output leg.

Though the tech. should have used smaller splitters.

#15 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

Well, I ordered from solid signal, and since it will be a straight swap for now, I won't need any additional equipment. Just 2 tvs/DVRs and the ability to record 7 shows at once. I have a 1.5Tb external drive on the HR24 to compliment the 1Tb stock drive on the HR34, so recording space should not be a problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've done lots of searching, but am having trouble locating screen shots. I'm especially interested in pics of areas where the 34's epg differs from the HR2x family.

Thank you for all the help.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#16 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,975 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:13 AM

Well, I ordered from solid signal, and since it will be a straight swap for now, I won't need any additional equipment. Just 2 tvs/DVRs and the ability to record 7 shows at once. I have a 1.5Tb external drive on the HR24 to compliment the 1Tb stock drive on the HR34, so recording space should not be a problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've done lots of searching, but am having trouble locating screen shots. I'm especially interested in pics of areas where the 34's epg differs from the HR2x family.

Thank you for all the help.

Besides the 5 tuners, RVU capability, and real OTA channel scanning with the AM21, there's really no further differences to that of other HR2Xs;

Physically the HR34 looks like an HR24 on steroids,

Electronic menus are the same as with other models, except for additional ones in the settings for adding RVU clients.

You should enjoy it overall, but I've got to concede its still got its fair share of bugs beyond that of the HR2X models right now which may result in some weird behavior of the unit at times.

#17 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,287 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:47 AM

Here is the First Look of the 34, including a picture of a 24 sitting on top of a 34. http://hr20.dbstalk.com/docs/HR34-700%20First%20Look.pdf

spam firewall