Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is canceling service and waiting for a call back the best way to get a deal?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gowings23

gowings23

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

I've got 2 old HR20 DVR's that need to be upgraded and I've called DirecTV about a deal to get them and so far they haven't really offered me a great deal. I'd like to get one of the new HR34's and start the whole home DVR. I've been a DirecTV subscriber for 10+years and have been out of contract for 3 years.

The latest offer from them was one HR24 for free with free installation. I don't need a new antenna so the install would take about 5 minutes top.

I've been asking nicely for a good deal in order to sign a new contract and the best they've offered is the free HR24 and $10 a month for 24 months. It's not a bad offer, just not a great one. I usually pay for Sunday Ticket, but at 50% off the price.

Is my best bet to actually cancel my service and hope they call me? I talked with the wife and we are willing to go without service for a while if we have to in order to get a really good deal.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

There's no guarantee they'll call at all.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   gowings23

gowings23

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:44 PM

Very true!

#4 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:29 AM

Leaping off the stage hoping your fans will catch you can result in a slam to to the floor. Not tempt fate. Ask for what you want.

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,646 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:30 AM

First, Welcome to DBSTalk!

Second, if you are prepared to do without, ask to speak to retention.

Third- my HR20 is very serviceable, so perhaps you don't "need" to replace both of them.

Fourth. Whole home with one HR20 and an HR24 is a substantial upgrade right there.

Good luck!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   gowings23

gowings23

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

You are correct that the HR24 is a substantial upgrade. I'm going to call them back today and see what they'll do because I don't want to sign a new 2 year agreement for just a DVR upgrade.

#7 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

You are correct that the HR24 is a substantial upgrade. I'm going to call them back today and see what they'll do because I don't want to sign a new 2 year agreement for just a DVR upgrade.

You're going to agree to a new 2 year contract. No way around it! It's the ONLY way to activate a new receiver.

#8 OFFLINE   gowings23

gowings23

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:15 AM

I don't mind signing a new agreement because I've been with them for a long time, just want to make sure I get a decent deal for signing one.

#9 OFFLINE   mrpickem

mrpickem

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

I called and asked for deal(s). After not getting what I wanted, I scheduled disconnect for about a week out...to set up another provider.

I'm a $160/month customer with premier, 5 boxes, all HD, service plan, playboy, etc...

So after 3 days they called me back and gave me an excellent deal.

This was in March, I got an HR24 free, $120(6x$20) off MLB Extra Innings and $15/month off for 2 years. I then called back during the Viacom ordeal and got another $20/mo off for a year and free Red Zone. I'm happy.

I been with Direct since the 90's and they've always offered decent deals. BTW I was not out of contract when I scheduled the disconnect(5 or 6 months left).

#10 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,140 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

I don't mind signing a new agreement because I've been with them for a long time, just want to make sure I get a decent deal for signing one.

How long is a long time?

JACK,

#11 OFFLINE   bixler

bixler

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:02 PM

I called and asked for deal(s). After not getting what I wanted, I scheduled disconnect for about a week out...to set up another provider.

I'm a $160/month customer with premier, 5 boxes, all HD, service plan, playboy, etc...

So after 3 days they called me back and gave me an excellent deal.

This was in March, I got an HR24 free, $120(6x$20) off MLB Extra Innings and $15/month off for 2 years. I then called back during the Viacom ordeal and got another $20/mo off for a year and free Red Zone. I'm happy.

I been with Direct since the 90's and they've always offered decent deals. BTW I was not out of contract when I scheduled the disconnect(5 or 6 months left).

Is this normally how this works, the call back can happen prior to the actual disconnect?
Slimline5.....SWM 8.....SWS-8 8 way splitter
PI feeds SWS-8 splitter and HR 21-100 in Media Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Family Room 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12 wireless ethernet connection via Linksys WET610N
SWS-8 splitter feeds HR 22-100 in Master Bedroom 0x62c 3:59am 12/18/12
SWS-8 splitter feeds H 21-100 in Guest Bedroom 0x45d2 3:27am 6/27/12

#12 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

They can't order specific model numbers so it doesn't matter if you call in and ask or if they called you. You'll get what the tech brings.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   captaink5217

captaink5217

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:39 AM

When it gets to the point where your termination fee is the same as your monthly fee then see what kind if deal you can get , what's the difference if you pay your monthly bill or the ETF at that point.
Genie HR34-700
H24-200
C31-700

#14 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,221 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

I've got 2 old HR20 DVR's that need to be upgraded and I've called DirecTV about a deal to get them and so far they haven't really offered me a great deal. I'd like to get one of the new HR34's and start the whole home DVR. I've been a DirecTV subscriber for 10+years and have been out of contract for 3 years.

The latest offer from them was one HR24 for free with free installation. I don't need a new antenna so the install would take about 5 minutes top.

I've been asking nicely for a good deal in order to sign a new contract and the best they've offered is the free HR24 and $10 a month for 24 months. It's not a bad offer, just not a great one. I usually pay for Sunday Ticket, but at 50% off the price.

Is my best bet to actually cancel my service and hope they call me? I talked with the wife and we are willing to go without service for a while if we have to in order to get a really good deal.

If you get a new DVR and the Whole Home Service they will probably change your dish to a dish that has a SWM system. When I changed my R15 to an HR24 they changed my dish to a Slimline 3 SWM that only uses one coax to operate both tuners in the receiver of each of the 3 receivers I have.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#15 OFFLINE   RollsRoyce

RollsRoyce

Cool Member

• Banned User
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:56 AM

things like offers, whether its on equipment or programming, depends upon your history with DirecTV. You really cant compare what offers you get to what offers someone else gets. If your offered something that satisfies you, accept it. Everyone wants to get the most for their money, but that dosnt mean you cant be content with what your given. Hope this dosnt offend anyone. Just my opinion on things like special offers and such.
I'm that person you talk to on the phone when you call DirecTV
I Do Billing For DirecTV ;)
My posts reflect my OWN opinions, not those of DirecTV

spam firewall