Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network tops an interesting list

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:51 AM

As far as the employer/employee relationship and the platitudes there; unless you're willing to put in some time at DISH, stick to the facts. Opinions are not served here unless you've done some time.

So DISH is the only bad job on the planet? There are no other places where people could "do some time" in a job where they are overworked, underappreciated, overstressed and underpaid? Really?

There are a lot of people making the best of the job they have. And yes, putting a year or two at a job you hate (if the hiring manager lets you in the door) is better than joining the 99 week unemployed and getting no benefits population (which with unemployment cutbacks is less than 99 weeks in many states).

The facts are that there are people to take those unwanted jobs. Perhaps they would be happier somewhere else but we're not in a position as a nation to have everyone in their dream job getting paid for what they love to do. We're in a position as a nation where many are simply looking to get paid for something they can tolerate - for a while.

Unfortunately there is also a lot of unfilled jobs that people don't want to do ... not enough to completely wipe out unemployment but enough to notice when one is looking at the problem as a whole.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:20 AM

And yes, putting a year or two at a job you hate (if the hiring manager lets you in the door) is better than joining the 99 week unemployed and getting no benefits population (which with unemployment cutbacks is less than 99 weeks in many states).

Now we're talking ...
So, what would the person in SW Dept create ? Perhaps just do bug's squashing and making new as we see in almost each new version of same software. Not telling about missed old good features for new development like set a timer by time for XiP813.

#23 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

In my 10+ years as a Dish customer, I can't say I have come across any disgruntled employees on the phone or with the service guys that have come to my house. I have always treated them fairly and usually give the service guys something in appreciation for their service as I do with most service people. I have talked to former Comcast people and depending on the job they are in some of them have been unhappy with Comcast and as a result no longer work there.
Zero327: Having been gainfully employed for over 40 years, I still find a lot of satisfaction in my work. I have worked the 16 hour days, the all nighters, the interrupted holidays and the long days away from home. Hopefully you have been able to move on to a position that is also more satisfying to you.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#24 OFFLINE   JosephF

JosephF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

As a former employee of 20+ plus years I can tell you that this is 100% accurate. In fact as a hiring manager my primary goal in an interview was always to try and scare the hell out of the prospect, as I did not want them coming in without knowing what they were getting themselves into (I was definitely in the minority here!)

Echo isn't a whole lot different, although it at least has fun challenging work that you can use for satisfaction instead.

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

And yes, putting a year or two at a job you hate (if the hiring manager lets you in the door) is better than joining the 99 week unemployed and getting no benefits population (which with unemployment cutbacks is less than 99 weeks in many states).

Now we're talking ...
So, what would the person in SW Dept create ? Perhaps just do bug's squashing and making new as we see in almost each new version of same software. Not telling about missed old good features for new development like set a timer by time for XiP813.

Actually since my reply was to Zero327 it related to the CSR jobs. Those fine folks who show up at all hours to listen to crabby customers ask for the world and a 50% discount off of the sale price.

The people in software development would not have that lifestyle. Nor the turnover ratio.

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

But they do ...

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

But they do ...

Software designers are expected to be at their desks at midnight on Black Friday or Boxing Day? Really? :rolleyes:

#28 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

Some of them like these who do work for nagrastar.

#29 OFFLINE   Tribbs

Tribbs

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

#17 DIRECTV
#12 Cox Communications
#4 Time Warner Cable
#3 Comcast
#1 Charter Communications

http://www.businessi...ca-2010-11?op=1

DISH didn't make this list!

#30 OFFLINE   Zero327

Zero327

Godfather

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

Actually since my reply was to Zero327 it related to the CSR jobs. Those fine folks who show up at all hours to listen to crabby customers ask for the world and a 50% discount off of the sale price.

The people in software development would not have that lifestyle. Nor the turnover ratio.

DISH isn't just "another job", good, bad or otherwise. DISH isn't average at much of anything. When they get it right, they REALLY get it right, and when they f*ck it up...

You cannot have any concept of what working for DISH is like unless you've actually signed on. Comparing a "rough day" at DISH to a regular job is like comparing a Geek Squad employee from Best Buy with an Engineering Director at Intel. Sure, the base concept of their jobs are roughly the same (troubleshooting), but the intensity, the expectations, the accountability, the weight of that statement does not accurately convey reality.

In Colorado there's a saying: You don't work for DISH, you survive it.

Did you know that most employers around DISH consider 1 year of working for them to 7 elsewhere? DISH employment is literally counted in dog years. If you actually do survive there for a few years, some employers won't hire you for fear that if you made it in DISH long-term, you "fit" into their culture; it's not considered a good thing.

Yes, there are worse places to work I'm sure; actually I can quote DISH's CEO now as he's apparently worked for them. But I'm saying few of them have so well-earned a reputation.

Edited by Zero327, 13 September 2012 - 08:00 PM.

Four universal truthes:
1. All is fair in love and war.
2. Nothing is absolute but death and taxes.
3. "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

4. If you think the above three things shouldn't apply to you, e-mail CEO@dishnetwork.com.

#31 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:35 AM

DISH isn't just "another job", good, bad or otherwise. DISH isn't average at much of anything. When they get it right, they REALLY get it right, and when they f*ck it up...

You cannot have any concept of what working for DISH is like unless you've actually signed on. Comparing a "rough day" at DISH to a regular job is like comparing a Geek Squad employee from Best Buy with an Engineering Director at Intel. Sure, the base concept of their jobs are roughly the same (troubleshooting), but the intensity, the expectations, the accountability, the weight of that statement does not accurately convey reality.

In Colorado there's a saying: You don't work for DISH, you survive it.

Did you know that most employers around DISH consider 1 year of working for them to 7 elsewhere? DISH employment is literally counted in dog years. If you actually do survive there for a few years, some employers won't hire you for fear that if you made it in DISH long-term, you "fit" into their culture; it's not considered a good thing.

Yes, there are worse places to work I'm sure; actually I can quote DISH's CEO now as he's apparently worked for them. But I'm saying few of them have so well-earned a reputation.

Your attributing some universal things in the call center business as Dish only problems lol.

#32 OFFLINE   Zero327

Zero327

Godfather

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:49 AM

Really? Do tell...because there's not a single reference in any post I've made whatsoever that are directly attributed to a call center job.

In fact, my statements apply from the lonely CSR all the way up. Assumptions are great, tell Umption I said hi.
Four universal truthes:
1. All is fair in love and war.
2. Nothing is absolute but death and taxes.
3. "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein

4. If you think the above three things shouldn't apply to you, e-mail CEO@dishnetwork.com.

#33 OFFLINE   JosephF

JosephF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

Your attributing some universal things in the call center business as Dish only problems lol.

Well in my 20+ years there, absolutely ZERO were spent working in a call center. Rather I was in what would most definitely be called a white collar professional position.

With that said, I can with full experience say that Zero327 is right on the mark.

Anyone else can try and spin it however they like, but I am absolutely speaking with experience. Dish/Echo have a horrible reputation in the Denver employment market. Of course in the current market this reputation has very minimal impact. But I can assure you there will be a mass exodus when the economy finally heats back up. I've seen it happen there before and it most certainly will again.

#34 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

In fact, my statements apply from the lonely CSR all the way up. Assumptions are great, tell Umption I said hi.

Wow. You worked every job at DISH from CSR all the way up? Or are you assuming that every part of DISH was as bad as you claim your part of DISH was?

#35 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

James, you did question me on the topic related aspects ... I would point you (if you missed ) to a post#33 as supporting my point of view.

#36 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:07 AM

James, you did question me on the topic related aspects ... I would point you (if you missed ) to a post#33 as supporting my point of view.

JosephF says they have a horrible reputation in the Denver employment market. What services are provided out of Denver and what services are provided out of other markets?

Is there an uplink center in Denver that we somehow missed? There were 10 uplink centers the last time I counted ... and none were in Denver. There are hardware and software development centers outside of Denver as well.

I'm sure that if you could eliminate the call center employees and installers from the complainers DISH's reputation in Denver (and elsewhere) would be fine. If you could eliminate people who also complain about their previous or next job they would likely be even better. Some people live to complain.

#37 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

You missed or intentionally try to ... That's THE company 'culture' regardless of attempts to reduce the circle to Denver only. Perhaps you understand it's not local (like Denver) management atmosphere and it's propagating from one point - from a top.

#38 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

You missed or intentionally try to ... That's THE company 'culture' regardless of attempts to reduce the circle to Denver only. Perhaps you understand it's not local (like Denver) management atmosphere and it's propagating from one point - from a top.

I recognize that it is the OPINION of those people complaining that it was a culture problem starting at the top - but I reject their assertion that they are correct.

Perhaps their part of DISH was screwed up ... perhaps not and the complainers are just blaming their problems on someone else. DISH has plenty of dedicated long term employees both in the Denver area and outside the Denver area who are not complaining. To say that those complaining speak for all 34k employees is a huge assumption.

Edited by James Long, 15 September 2012 - 11:42 AM.
Corrected number of employees

#39 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

Then you could start recollecting well known facts - law suits ...

#40 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

Then you could start recollecting well known facts - law suits ...

Sure ... but limit yourself to lawsuits related to being employed by DISH.

Some people take every opportunity to pile on a company that does one thing that they do not agree with. We would not want this to become one of those threads.

spam firewall