Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole Home DVR Performance?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bluesfan

bluesfan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:59 AM

Okay...I currently have 2 HR-20's and 2 HR-22's networked for my whole home DVR. These are all connected via cat5 through my own personal home network. So basically I have all the receivers setup how DTV did years ago with two coex cable ran to each dvr to a main splitter. The only way the DVR's communicate with each device is via my personal home network.

My question is would I get better performance if I had DTV setup the whole home dvr the way thy install them now using DECA, SWIM etc. If I'm watching a recording from the DVR that it was recorded on performance is fine. But if I try to watch a recorded program that is being pulled from a different DVR there is a noticeable delay when starting the program,rewinding, fast forward and skip is very choppy is this normal?

Any help would be appreciated, hope I made sense.

Thanks
Dennis

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,472 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

I cannot compare the two directly, but my Whole Home has been very solid for the two years I've had it. And yet, sometimes there is choppiness and delays, though perhaps induced by testing new software in the CE program.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   bluesfan

bluesfan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:02 AM

Laxguy,

How do you have your WHDVR setup? Is it with DECA, SWIM or networked via a router?

Thanks
Dennis

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

The general status is:
DECA works as well as ethernet, "IF" the ethernet network is working well.

What you're describing isn't how my DECA performs.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   bluesfan

bluesfan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

The general status is:
DECA works as well as ethernet, "IF" the ethernet network is working well.

What you're describing isn't how my DECA performs.

Which I guess that is my question would I have better performance if I have my system setup via DECA, SWIM by DTV? My system is currently setup via a Router with cat5 wires running from each receiver to my personal home router.

Thanks
Dennis

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,615 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

Which I guess that is my question would I have better performance if I have my system setup via DECA, SWIM by DTV? My system is currently setup via a Router with cat5 wires running from each receiver to my personal home router.

Thanks
Dennis

"I would say" yes, "but" since you have: 2 HR-20's and 2 HR-22, you won't have all of the networking test functions for DECA.
The H/HR24 and up receivers have the DECA internal.
This adds a DECA network test to know the status of the network.
This is a big plus [to me] as it allows for the system test to check everything that you can't do now with your ethernet network.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   bluesfan

bluesfan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

"I would say" yes, "but" since you have: 2 HR-20's and 2 HR-22, you won't have all of the networking test functions for DECA.
The H/HR24 and up receivers have the DECA internal.
This adds a DECA network test to know the status of the network.
This is a big plus [to me] as it allows for the system test to check everything that you can't do now with your ethernet network.

I talked to DTV and they are willing to upgrade my HR20's to something "newer" and replace one of my HD receivers that is not compatible with WHDVR. Plus re-setup my system for free.

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,472 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

I talked to DTV and they are willing to upgrade my HR20's to something "newer" and replace one of my HD receivers that is not compatible with WHDVR. Plus re-setup my system for free.

Sounds like you're on the way! Especially if one of the newer ones is an HR24.

I've a SWiM, one external DECA connector for my H@20, and the rest have internal DECAs.

#9 OFFLINE   bluesfan

bluesfan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

Okay....I just got off the phone with Dirctv and I think I did okay on getting them to upgrade my equipment? I currently have 4 HD DVR and 2 HD receivers some of them will be upgraded. Two HR-20's will be upgraded to two HR-24's THe H20 receiver will be upgraded to a H22 (so it will be compatible with whole home dvr) and one of my HR22,s will be upgraded to the new HR34. My current whole home DVR will be reinstalled using DECA, SWIM. Plus I'll be getting $30 off per month for a year then $10 off the 2nd year.

So when it's all said and done I'll have:

2 H22
1 HR34
1 HR22
2 HR24

Should I call back and ask for more or did I do okay?

Thanks
Dennis

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,472 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

I think you hit the jackpot, and I'd quit while I was ahead....
just one man's opinion, though.

spam firewall