Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Would you still have Hopped?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

If you are only 1 month into your Dish contract, termination will cost over $400. "Yes, we will help you come back by taking care of half your contract. Ah, Gee. Thanks."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bluesfan

bluesfan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

Thanks to all for the feedback, I am so close to hopping to Dish Network. I have one last question. I'd be going with 2H and 4J for a total of 6 rooms. There is 4 people in our household so I'm a little concerned on how all the devices communicate with each.

Are you able to watch any of the 6 tuners from all devices?

Thanks
Dennis

#23 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

Thanks to all for the feedback, I am so close to hopping to Dish Network. I have one last question. I'd be going with 2H and 4J for a total of 6 rooms. There is 4 people in our household so I'm a little concerned on how all the devices communicate with each.

Are you able to watch any of the 6 tuners from all devices?

Thanks
Dennis

The joeys can watch from all 6 tuners (though you do have to switch which hopper they are looking at to access the other three). The hoppers can only see their own tuners. However, all 6 units can see all recordings.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#24 OFFLINE   bluesfan

bluesfan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

The joeys can watch from all 6 tuners (though you do have to switch which hopper they are looking at to access the other three). The hoppers can only see their own tuners. However, all 6 units can see all recordings.

Okay...I'm trying to talk this out so say the wife is watching TV from a Joey and the Hopper that it is tied to doesn't have any available tuners would she be able to switch to the other hopper (from that Joey) and watch from that tuner and if so how difficult will it be?

Thanks
Dennis

#25 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

Okay...I'm trying to talk this out so say the wife is watching TV from a Joey and the Hopper that it is tied to doesn't have any available tuners would she be able to switch to the other hopper (from that Joey) and watch from that tuner and if so how difficult will it be?

Thanks
Dennis

yes, she would be.

Menu - settings - network setup - whole home - select the other hopper from the list
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#26 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,690 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

Viewing DVR recordings is relatively easy... a dropdown on the My Recordings screen... so whether you are on a Joey or a Hopper viewing recordings on any Hopper is relatively easy.

IF you attach an external hard drive to a Hopper, any Joey can link to that Hopper and see them BUT only the Hopper attached to the drive can see the external drive.

Tuners... Hoppers only see their own tuners, but a Joey can link to either Hopper. That is a little more complicated than a simple button push since it requires going into the Networking menu to link to the other Hopper.

It isn't rocket science, but it isn't a simple button push.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#27 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

Another thing that will make me NOT go back. After 5 weeks I still have not recieved a refund on my last month with Direct. I did get a new bill saying I have a credit with them. Guess I'll have to call them again (maybe that's part of the plan). Leaving a pretty bad memory of Direct.

Should only take 30 days. Something else is wrong

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#28 OFFLINE   mweathers

mweathers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:15 AM

I'll be giving them a call tomorrow. If memory serves me correctly, I sent their box back to them on July 21....I'll call to see if there's an issue with crediting my CC, since I was on auto pay.

#29 OFFLINE   Snichols1026

Snichols1026

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:01 PM

One difference between Dish and Directv is I miss the feature where I press the Play button and a bar shows up displaying the program time and where I am in the program.

Does the Hopper have such a feature?

#30 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,892 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:06 PM

If you pause the program the bar will show ... otherwise, press the select button and the number of minutes remaining will be on the top of the screen.

#31 OFFLINE   mweathers

mweathers

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

Got my refund from Direct. Now I'm a happy camper again!:D

#32 OFFLINE   arvetus

arvetus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

I recently hopped to Dish and got a Hopper and 2 Joeys. I had 3 months on my DTV contract left, so the ETF was only $60. I'm saving $50/mo with the 12mo new customer promo, so my ROI is a little more than a month. Not bad.
After the 12mo pricing, I'm still saving almost $20/mo with Dish.

The only thing that is taking some getting used to is if I am mid-way into a program and want to DVR it, I have to rewind it to the beginning before hitting record. DTV would just automatically go back to the beginning of the program, so long as the beginning of the program was still in the buffer.

The UI on the Hopper/Joeys is taking me a bit to figure out, but only because I've had DTV since we bought the house 5 years ago. The Hopper/Joey system IS faster and I have full DVR functionality on ALL sets, not just the living room. Yes, I could access DVR programs on the LR receiver from any room with my DTV setup, but I did not have full DVR functionality in every room.

The Hopper is NICE.

Dish has more of the channels that I watch in HD. My kiddos can deal with Disney in SD... :)

#33 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

Glad to have you as a DISH customer. If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know. Thanks.

I recently hopped to Dish and got a Hopper and 2 Joeys. I had 3 months on my DTV contract left, so the ETF was only $60. I'm saving $50/mo with the 12mo new customer promo, so my ROI is a little more than a month. Not bad.
After the 12mo pricing, I'm still saving almost $20/mo with Dish.

The only thing that is taking some getting used to is if I am mid-way into a program and want to DVR it, I have to rewind it to the beginning before hitting record. DTV would just automatically go back to the beginning of the program, so long as the beginning of the program was still in the buffer.

The UI on the Hopper/Joeys is taking me a bit to figure out, but only because I've had DTV since we bought the house 5 years ago. The Hopper/Joey system IS faster and I have full DVR functionality on ALL sets, not just the living room. Yes, I could access DVR programs on the LR receiver from any room with my DTV setup, but I did not have full DVR functionality in every room.

The Hopper is NICE.

Dish has more of the channels that I watch in HD. My kiddos can deal with Disney in SD... :)

#34 OFFLINE   arvetus

arvetus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

Glad to have you as a DISH customer. If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know. Thanks.

I will send you a direct PM - I had an issue that I posted a thread on here in this forum. This is the first that I have seen the issue - it may have just been a fluke.
Look for a PM shortly.

#35 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

It's a different philosophy, and frankly I prefer the Dish way. Why? Because say I start watching something and realize I can't stick around for the end. I hit record and it starts recording right away. When I come back and do playback, it starts right where I pressed the record button. With the DirecTV way, I'd come back and then have to "find my place" in the program to resume watching. Icky.

If I start watching something and think, "Gee, so-and-so would love to see this" then I can make the conscious choice to go back to the beginning, hit record there, and get the whole thing.

#36 OFFLINE   randob

randob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

But I was disappointed to find when switching from 722 to Hopper/Joey that you STILL can't watch something while it's recording, stop watching while it's still recording, and be able to resume where you left off later. At least on the 722 you could do that if the recording was taking place on the other "TV." My other disappointment is the loss of PIP on my main TV due to having to hook it to a Joey since I needed Hopper to connect to the component video of my older TV.

#37 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:27 AM

Having now been with the 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys for over a month now, I can say the following things.

- I absolutely WOULD do it again. Unquestionably.

- I would have the installation done a little differently, putting a Joey in another room upstairs instead of right next to the Hopper in the main TV room.

- I *might* return the 2nd Hopper. Of course, I won't know until after dealing with a "new fall season", but PTAT has made it so that 3 tuners seem to be enough.

- I would love it if the "Transfer recordings" option was active for the Joey.

All in all, very happy here.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...