Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV First Look: C31-700 Home Media Center RVU Client

• Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:15 AM

It's better than the H25 as you can pause live tv.

The H25 is faster though.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:58 AM

I think he was referring to what happens when you turn on a c31 and there are already three streams going out of your HR34, so the c31 has no ability to even try and grab a tuner because there are no "access points" available. Well I can tell you this is the screen you get when that happens...

I had two streams going out of my hr34 for Whole Home Service to regular hr2xs and one stream going out for a c31. When I turned on my second c31 I got this screen.

Gotcha! That makes sense.
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#183 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,882 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

It's better than the H25 as you can pause live tv.

The H25 is faster though.

The C31 can pause live TV and swap tuners for DP.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#184 OFFLINE   dexware

dexware

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

No thanks. I don't want a kangaroo system. I like my 5 tuners for recording.

Maybe if this box was just a one time fee, not worth it for the same price as H25. This is a step backwards.

#185 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

Maybe if this box was just a one time fee, not worth it for the same price as H25. This is a step backwards.

Unless your H25 does something more than mine, it isn't a step backwards when I can pause live TV.
A.K.A VOS

#186 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,083 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

No thanks. I don't want a kangaroo system. I like my 5 tuners for recording.

Not for the target audience (e.g., the average consumer who just wants a multi-room system). RVU is a means of accomplishing the same thing as MRV but without the cost of multiple receivers/DVRs scattered in several locations around the house.

We here at DBSTalk are power users and very far from the average household demographic for Directv customers.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#187 OFFLINE   LoweBoy

LoweBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

Not for the target audience (e.g., the average consumer who just wants a multi-room system). RVU is a means of accomplishing the same thing as MRV but without the cost of multiple receivers/DVRs scattered in several locations around the house.

We here at DBSTalk are power users and very far from the average household demographic for Directv customers.

Amen Brother! People come to my house and walk away trying to figure out how to do it at their houses.

I believe the C31 system is going to kick ***. I am ready to get it incorporated into my system. I have been waiting for this since I first saw it a few years back. I am already on a waiting list once it is released.

Directv has done a great job of setting the pace. Keep it up!
LoweBoy
1 HR34-700 -- Pioneer VSX-1021 -- Samsung 55" B8k
1 HR24-500 -- Samsung 46" C8k
1 HR20-100 -- Vizio 32"
1 H25-700-- Vizio 32"
1 H25-500-- Samsung 40"

nomad & MRV all self installed
iPads & iPhones & AppleTV

#188 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

Much better than the Samsung RVU TV. I have both... trickplay on the C31 is really similar to the way it is on the HR34.

Have you noticed any PQ differences between the Samsung RVU client and direct connect? I don't watch with a critical eye and I thought I was imagining it until the SWMBO asked me what I did to make the picture look better. I cancelled RVU so I can't do a direct comparison. That was a few software revisions ago though, so I don't know if they've improved things since then. I just downloaded the latest Samsung firmware two nights ago.

Trickplay latency in my experience is on par with a pre-HR24 receiver (HR20-23), in my opinion. I have not timed things with a stopwatch to be certain, but it subjectively feels TO ME like watching with a typical DVR. Not as quick as an HR24 but certainly acceptable.

It was really bad with my Samsung TV. I couldn't hit the skip button multiple times - it would sometimes skip to the end, sometimes to the beginning and
sometimes I'd lose sound. It was very frustrating.

Unless your H25 does something more than mine, it isn't a step backwards when I can pause live TV.

Not a step backwards from an H-series, but when it's priced per month the same as an HR, it really isn't worth the potential $3/mo savings from turning off WH. I wish they would either reduce the monthly charge or include up to 3 RVU clients with the HR-34 fee. I also wish they'd let me choose which DVR to record to when I'm using a HR receiver, but I digress...

#189 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

Not a step backwards from an H-series, but when it's priced per month the same as an HR, it really isn't worth the potential $3/mo savings from turning off WH. I wish they would either reduce the monthly charge or include up to 3 RVU clients with the HR-34 fee. I also wish they'd let me choose which DVR to record to when I'm using a HR receiver, but I digress...

I'm sure a lot of us would like to see DirecTV's pricing change, but that isn't for this thread.
I've had twin 24s + a 25 and now have a 34 & 31.
"Overall" the 34/31 combo gives me more, than I had before.
A.K.A VOS

#190 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,720 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

I'm disappointed in the lack of an Ethernet port. That limits its usefulness.

How?

Given that RVU is supposed to be a standard that will be adopted across many carriers and that the C31 will only work with DECA (that cannot be supported by anyone other than DIRECTV), it is a decided limitation.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#191 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,720 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

You "simply" add an RVU client.
Their system doesn't know/ask/care what this client is. Could be an RVU TV, or a C31, @ $6/month.

I asked about how the billing process will happen, not how you add or remove a client.

I seem to recall that removing clients (or moving them between HMCs) isn't all that ironed out yet.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#192 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

Given that RVU is supposed to be a standard that will be adopted across many carriers and that the C31 will only work with DECA (that cannot be supported by anyone other than DIRECTV), it is a decided limitation.

Uh..

DUH!
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#193 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,720 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

How does the monthly $6 RVU client fee (for clients you may not be able to use simultaneously) improve the cost structure versus MRV boxes?

#194 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,720 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

Uh..

DUH!

Seems like that should have been directed at mhayes70.

#195 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

How does the monthly $6 RVU client fee (for clients you may not be able to use simultaneously) improve the cost structure versus MRV boxes?

If you don't have ideal credit, you pay the full lease charge for the gear necessary to use MRV.

#196 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

Seems like that should have been directed at mhayes70.

Oh, okay.

"Hey everyone! Just FYI, Directv equipment doesn't work on other providers platforms. I want to make sure that everyone is clear about that. That should not be perceived as a limitation."

That is all.

#197 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

I never saw anything from DIRECTV saying that RVU would reduce costs to the consumer, have you? It does improve the cost structure to DIRECTV. Since you're a Dish customer how has Hopper/Joey improved the cost structure to their customers?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#198 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,083 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

RAD explained it well. We really shouldn't have to explain simple concepts like this to you.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#199 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

I never saw anything from DIRECTV saying that RVU would reduce costs to the consumer, have you? It does improve the cost structure to DIRECTV. Since you're a Dish customer how has Hopper/Joey improved the cost structure to their customers?

Technically it did for some because DISH decided to jack up the rates of their lease fees before this came out to make it more appealing to get people to switch.

Perhaps if DIRECTV decided to gouge their customers with a $17 fee per month per extra HD DVR then Harsh could see how this was a great cost saving benefit to the consumer.

However if customers needs to have more tuners they can have that ability they don't have to get a C31. They are still able to use other DIRECTV receivers as needed to create a custom scenario which will best meet their needs.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#200 OFFLINE   vapor21

vapor21

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

Long time lurker and finally decided to subscribe... I'm a Dtv employee and I work for one of the sites that is beta testing the C31...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...