Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV First Look: C31-700 Home Media Center RVU Client

• Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

Or the DIRECTV residential experience.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#242 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

Or the DIRECTV residential experience.

I don't think that will happen soon, but will be a very gradual transition over several years.

RVU gives you less functionality overall for the same amount of money as the current "SWM" setup. I'm not sure why most current subscribers would switch to it. I think that's why D* priced it so high -- they have limited inventory on the RVU hardware and plenty of old hardware still kicking around.

But I think D* will make the RVU setup the advertised free setup for new customers going forward. The hardware involved costs less for D*, which should save money and increase their profit. Since only new customers will generally demand an RVU setup, that will allow the gradual transition that D* wants.

#243 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,095 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

RVU gives you less functionality overall for the same amount of money as the current "SWM" setup.

Not sure about your same amount of money comment. Since we don't know the actual production cost difference between the HR24 and the HR34 DIRECTV might be saving money by going with the C31 vs HXX in the rest of the home. What we do know is that it doesn't save the customer any money based on current promo's and the RVU client monthly charge still being $6/month.

I'm not sure why most current subscribers would switch to it. I think that's why D* priced it so high -- they have limited inventory on the RVU hardware and plenty of old hardware still kicking around.

Based on how long I've been in the HR34 test group, and the manufacture date on the C31's I have IMHO they've had plenty of time to build up a hardware inventory. As to why would a current sub switch, the two reasons I'm moving that direction is the centralized recording management and less power draw. So far I've removed two HR24's from my setup and home and will probably do another one in the near future, using C31's in their place.

But I think D* will make the RVU setup the advertised free setup for new customers going forward. The hardware involved costs less for D*, which should save money and increase their profit. Since only new customers will generally demand an RVU setup, that will allow the gradual transition that D* wants.

That's how I see things going. Hopefully they'll be able to come up with a scalable HMC solution, either allow multiple HR34's or a new STB that has more tuners/storage then the HR34 for those larger installations.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#244 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

Any word yet on what markets have the C31 currently available, or when they will be available elsewhere? I'm specifically hoping for availability in the Davenport, IA-Rock Island, IL DMA.

Also any confirmation yet on pricing and if it is an owned or leased piece of equipment?
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#245 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

I think it'll be an accessory like an AM21, about $50.
From my bill: Home Media Center Monthly for 1 Client 6.00
No idea about availability, expect probably *soon*.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#246 OFFLINE   viclovr

viclovr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

Let me know if I missed something

Advantages the c31 has over the h25
- has full dvr function ( access to the to-do list, double play, trick play on live tv, etc)
- half the size of the h25 so easier to hide
- has built in rf antenna
- can watch am21 channels live from the hr34
- pull caller id from the hr34
- access to the vod library
- is half the price of the h25 ( based off the rumored 50$)
edit - doesnt take any more swm ports as it uses one of the hr34s tuners.

Advantages the h25 has over the c31
- has its own tuner
edit - can view and schedule recordings on any dvr on the mrv setup ( supposedly c31 can do this later on?)

Edited by viclovr, 04 September 2012 - 02:48 PM.

I may not know as much as the experts but neither did the experts when they themselves were novices.

#247 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

You've got it right. Although, I have a feeling by the time the C31 is in general availability you'll be able to play recordings from any DVR.

#248 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

H25 can schedule recordings on other DVDs if you have more than one.
Not a big deal if you've got an HR34, but a difference.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#249 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

As to why would a current sub switch, the two reasons I'm moving that direction is the centralized recording management and less power draw.

It is interesting to note that one of the problems with the C30 was that they couldn't get it to pass Energy Star:

http://www.energysta...upplemental.pdf

[An interesting history lesson on DIRECTV's RVU plans if you're not concerned about power consumption.]

Remember that the C31 uses the same power adapter as the H25. I would imagine that a significant portion of the power consumed is in the DECA transceiver section.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#250 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

Would have been real slick if they could have gotten the C31 to run on less than 2.5W, so they could be powered off a TVs USB port (since most newer TVs have one). That would have meant no more power brick.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#251 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,095 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

It is interesting to note that one of the problems with the C30 was that they couldn't get it to pass Energy Star:

[An interesting history lesson on DIRECTV's RVU plans if you're not concerned about power consumption.]

Remember that the C31 uses the same power adapter as the H25. I would imagine that a significant portion of the power consumed is in the DECA transceiver section.

Why bring up a box that never made it to customer release, or you just like to spout BS?

If you did a search before providing your insight you might find http://calplug.uci.e...bruary 2012.pdf , which goes over DIRECTV Energy Star participation. It says the power on usage of the H25 is 11.2 watts, the prototype of the C31 is 5.7 watts. Also the training documentation for the C31 says it Energy Star compliant.

As a Dish customer do you have documentation on the Hopper/Joey hardware and is it energy star compliant

#252 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

I don't think it's fair to speculate on unreleased hardware and why it remained unreleased, unless it's possible to be completely clear on the facts. Doing so only serves to bait those who could answer but contractually are bound not to.

#253 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

Would have been real slick if they could have gotten the C31 to run on less than 2.5W, so they could be powered off a TVs USB port (since most newer TVs have one). That would have meant no more power brick.

Yeah, I was hoping for that too. Of course, I also think the thing is still larger than I was expecting... Yes, I was expecting it to be the size of a roku or apple tv, or even smaller than that if possible. Maybe the next generation will be.

#254 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:58 PM

Who cares? What's important is what the c31 can do and is rated at and how much power it takes, which is very little, half a h25 and at least six times less than a DVR.

#255 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

I can see me replacing my HR23/HR24 system with the HR34/C31 when one of the HRs dies. And if I read this thread correctly, my cost to DirecTV may actually drop by $3. This is the Whole Home fee I currently pay, or does this fee still exist? Sorry if I missed this when scanning this thread.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#256 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,095 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:14 AM

I can see me replacing my HR23/HR24 system with the HR34/C31 when one of the HRs dies. And if I read this thread correctly, my cost to DirecTV may actually drop by $3. This is the Whole Home fee I currently pay, or does this fee still exist? Sorry if I missed this when scanning this thread.

If you don't want WHDVR service anymore for any of your STB's then yes you could drop it, AFAIK the HR34/C31 don't need it. But if you still have a HR2X in the mix and want to share recordings then yes you'd still need the $3 fee.

#257 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:32 AM

As DECA alone consumes upwards of 3 watts, USB supplied power was never a reasonable expectation.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#258 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

If you don't want WHDVR service anymore for any of your STB's then yes you could drop it, AFAIK the HR34/C31 don't need it. But if you still have a HR2X in the mix and want to share recordings then yes you'd still need the $3 fee.

Thanks. That's what I assumed. I may have to have the HRs on the account for awhile in order to watch the recordings. But, this won't be happening any time soon as both HRs are working quite well.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#259 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

The power consumption of an external DECA is irrelevant to the power consumption of an internal MoCA switch chip, which is what the C31 has.

#260 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,260 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:59 PM

The power consumption of an external DECA is irrelevant to the power consumption of an internal MoCA switch chip, which is what the C31 has.

Good point. It does actually make me wonder why they don't make it so can power it via USB. Could be that tvs may not send power to USB when off, so you'd have to wait for it to boot up every time?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...