Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV First Look: C31-700 Home Media Center RVU Client

• Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

#326 OFFLINE   steelerfanmike

steelerfanmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNj/pa border

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

Called back got someone else...lol now there coming Friday Free install . Total for three is 157.29
HR34-700 with a AM 21 OTA Tuner Hooked to a Sony HD3D 60" TV ( KDL-60EX720)
With 3 C31 Clients an using a Cisco E4200 V2 wireless router for APPS and Youtube
Hooked to a OTA Channel Master Roof mount 100 mile range antenna with a rotor.
To watch (Philly @ WilkesBarre PA. Locals)
Directv locals are NYC

#327 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,159 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

My plan is to just "buy" a C31 from Solid Signal when they are available. Seems less stressful than trying to get one through DirecTV.

http://www.solidsign...R34-HD-DVR-(C31)

Are the things from Solid Signal OWNED or LEASED?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#328 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

I don't think anybody knows yet. That's why I put buy in quotes.

#329 OFFLINE   steelerfanmike

steelerfanmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNj/pa border

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

I'm waiting for the installer to call and cancel. (thinking they don't have them yet.)
With 3 C31 Clients an using a Cisco E4200 V2 wireless router for APPS and Youtube
Directv locals are NYC

#330 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,706 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

Utility poles are local.

I'm not sure this is true. Easements for underground are usually local but pole contacts may well be regulated at a higher level. Arkansas appears to regulate pole contacts at the state level.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#331 OFFLINE   steelerfanmike

steelerfanmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts
  • LocationNj/pa border

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

I'm hoping these things work like they say. It will be very nice not to hear the old
HR20's running in the middle of the night. And to save quit a bit of money on electricity not having 3 hd dvr running. These things use a lot of watts.
Directv locals are NYC

#332 OFFLINE   jford951

jford951

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

So is the c31 not capable of RF?
[URL="http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=3113347&posted=1#post311334""]My Setup[/URL]

#333 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,181 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

I'm hoping these things work like they say.

They do. I have three of them.

So is the c31 not capable of RF?

Yes they are RF capable.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#334 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,874 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

I took a quick look for the answer to that, didn't see it. But i.a.e., here's a link to the first page of the First Look.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#335 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

I really wish they would have included an IR input and IR receiver you could tape to the side of your TV or something. I mean even the cable companies include that with their little free DTA boxes.

Sure having RF built in helps for a lot of people that want to hide the box, but RF doesn't help those of us with programmable remotes. I use Harmony remotes in most rooms, so that means I'll have to keep the C31 boxes exposed somehow instead of being able to hide them behind the TVs, in another room, etc. If DirecTV would have included aan IR input I could have hidden the boxes and just had the little IR sensor taped to the TV.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#336 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,228 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

I really wish they would have included an IR input and IR receiver you could tape to the side of your TV or something. I mean even the cable companies include that with their little free DTA boxes.

Sure having RF built in helps for a lot of people that want to hide the box, but RF doesn't help those of us with programmable remotes. I use Harmony remotes in most rooms, so that means I'll have to keep the C31 boxes exposed somehow instead of being able to hide them behind the TVs, in another room, etc. If DirecTV would have included aan IR input I could have hidden the boxes and just had the little IR sensor taped to the TV.

Probably comes down to what make all decisions, $'s, yea it's only a few cents but every penny counts. Plus probably only a small minority of their customers would need that capability.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#337 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

Probably comes down to what make all decisions, $'s, yea it's only a few cents but every penny counts. Plus probably only a small minority of their customers would need that capability.

I disagree, I think many would use it, probably more than the number who end up using the RF feature (because a lot of the time they aren't given RF remotes).

If Comcast and the other cable companies can include them with their DTAs that customers get for free, I can't see how it would have added that much expense for DirecTV where they get paid $6/month for the boxes on top of whatever they are going to charge for the up front lease fee. Yes I realize that many will be given away for free, but they will still get at least $6/month for each opposed to Comcast and other cable companies getting nothing.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#338 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

RF isn't built in. You need a dongle. I believe the one for the H25 receiver works:

http://www.solidsign...e-H25-(H25RFANT)

#339 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,228 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

RF isn't built in. You need a dongle. I believe the one for the H25 receiver works:

http://www.solidsign...e-H25-(H25RFANT)

RF for the remote IS built in, no dongle needed for the C31.

#340 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 37,028 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

RAD is right. RF works like a charm.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#341 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

RF for the remote IS built in, no dongle needed for the C31.

Sorry, my mistake then. I guess I misinterpreted something earlier in the thread.

#342 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

I understand your preference for the Harmony remote and consequent desire to use IR with the C31. I also think you will be pleasantly surprised by how really small and light the C31 is when you see it in person. It could easily be attached to the edge or top of any thin profile TV using Velcro tape and be relatively unnoticeable. If that is still too visible for you, an IR receiver/emitter device can be obtained relatively cheaply to allow hiding the C31 completely.
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#343 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

I'm waiting for the installer to call and cancel. (thinking they don't have them yet.)

The installer is probably going to show up thinking that you have 3 RVU TV's that need to be setup.

#344 OFFLINE   dmark1867

dmark1867

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

I had an installation with 1 hr34 and 2 c31 clients for tomorrow (sept 15th), just checked with directv and they say the installation was changed to Sept 26th. Wonder if the system rescheduled it due to the fact that the c31's are not available? The reps seem completely clueless, it is so aggravating.

#345 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

I had an installation with 1 hr34 and 2 c31 clients for tomorrow (sept 15th), just checked with directv and they say the installation was changed to Sept 26th. Wonder if the system rescheduled it due to the fact that the c31's are not available? The reps seem completely clueless, it is so aggravating.

Are you in Huntington WV? If so I would expect it to get pushed out farther again as you're not in the initial test martkets if so. I'd be curious to see the order details.

#346 OFFLINE   dmark1867

dmark1867

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

I am in Huntington, WV and I have heard that as well. Everytime I call I am told something else. I think i might re-schedule the installation to the following Saturday to aviod potentially taking a day off of work for nothing. If I did that I think i would be so annoyed I would just competely cancel.

#347 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,228 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

Are you in Huntington WV? If so I would expect it to get pushed out farther again as you're not in the initial test martkets if so. I'd be curious to see the order details.

What are the initial test markets?

#348 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

DaBears

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

I am in Huntington, WV and I have heard that as well. Everytime I call I am told something else. I think i might re-schedule the installation to the following Saturday to aviod potentially taking a day off of work for nothing. If I did that I think i would be so annoyed I would just competely cancel.

At this point you need to get the order modified to just have HD receivers for the other TV's and then you'll be fine.

What are the initial test markets?

They're not publicly available and "soon" it won't matter anyways.

#349 OFFLINE   dmark1867

dmark1867

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

I thought maybe my installation was kicked back to the 26th of sept from tomorrow the 15th was due to equipment availability. One of my friends knows a directv installer in my area and I just texted him and he told me that the C31 RVU client and SD Dongle is available in my area now. I guess we will see what happens on the 26th!

#350 OFFLINE   y2k02c5

y2k02c5

Legend

• Registered
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

Sorry if this was covered, but will the C31 work with any TV, or just with the Samsung RVU enabled units?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...