Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV First Look: C31-700 Home Media Center RVU Client

• Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

Good point. It does actually make me wonder why they don't make it so can power it via USB. Could be that tvs may not send power to USB when off, so you'd have to wait for it to boot up every time?

Might also be because it needs 12 volts. ;) [haven't checked to know]
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:15 PM

I am surprised they can't make it use less. Maybe "someday"?

#263 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

Removed

#264 OFFLINE   jonny4

jonny4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:06 AM

Anyone in Houston have this yet, I would love to get rid of this hr22 I am using as a whole home viewer with my hr34, I don't record anything on it.

#265 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

Anyone in Houston have this yet, I would love to get rid of this hr22 I am using as a whole home viewer with my hr34, I don't record anything on it.

IIRC I didn't see Houston mentioned as an early test market, but the rumor is that things will open up in October so just hand in there.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#266 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,365 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

The power consumption of an external DECA is irrelevant to the power consumption of an internal MoCA switch chip, which is what the C31 has.

It isn't irrelevant as it is indicative of how much power is required to convert MoCA (RF) to digital which is uniquely the DECA adapter does. The DECA adapter takes the relatively small extra step of converting to current loop that requires considerably less than 1 watt.

If we use an AppleTV as a benchmark (with similar functionality and Bluetooth remote control), it consumes 2.47 watts (2.05 with 83% power supply efficiency while streaming an HD movie) and the C31 consumes 5.7 watts, we deduce that the MoCA part of the equation must be over 3 watts. This is consistent with the power consumption of the DECA adapter and probably why DIRECTV doesn't foresee being able to get below 5 watts on the RVU client.

It is notable that the AppleTV provides either Wi-fi or 100baseTX within its 2.47 watt total.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#267 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,365 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

The input power is specified the same as the output of the EPS10: 12VDC@1.5 amps.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#268 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,365 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

I am surprised they can't make it use less. Maybe "someday"?

DIRECTV's future power consumption projections remain at 5 watts so the minimum current required at 5VDC will remain >=1 amp.

Because the typical maximum USB current (if any) is 500ma (and you'll never justify to someone that the USB port on their Xbox/PS3/AVR/USB hub is any different than the one on their TV), USB should not be used to provide power for a DIRECTV RVU client box.

That the C31 includes a USB port makes it obvious that it can't draw from USB.

Edited by harsh, 07 September 2012 - 12:34 PM.

#269 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

The input power is specified the same as the output of the EPS10: 12VDC@1.5 amps.

Max ratings mean little.
The C31 max wattage is listed as 10.5
A.K.A VOS

#270 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,365 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

If you don't want WHDVR service anymore for any of your STB's then yes you could drop it, AFAIK the HR34/C31 don't need it.

It would appear that the current ELA doesn't discriminate on whether or not you have the capability of utilizing WHDS.

If you selected an HD DVR, you agree to pay a monthly Advanced Receiver fee ($20/mo.).

The assumption is that if you have only a lone HR2x or HR3x, you must pay the $20 fee.

Based on the most sophisticated box in your setup:
Advanced Receiver fee (one or more HD DVRs)  $20
Advanced Receiver - HD fee (H2x)             $10
Advanced Receiver - DVR fee (SD DVR)          $8
Advanced Receiver - TiVo fee (THR-22)         $5 (in addition to the $20 fee)
The DIRECTV sign-up application confirms this fee schedule. If you select only an HR34, it will show the $20 fee (less a $10 discount for 24 months).

#271 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,365 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

Max ratings mean little.

They mean a whole lot if they get down below 2.5 watts (which may be possible without DECA).

The C31 max wattage is listed as 10.5

As long as the DIRECTV RVU client box max current rating is greater than 2.5 watts, it will be too much for USB to power.

#272 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

The assumption is that if you have only a lone HR2x or HR3x, you must pay the $20 fee.

If you select only an HR34, it will show the $20 fee (less a $10 discount for 24 months).

The ARS fee includes the HD fee [$10], the DVR fee [$8], & the MRV fee [$3].
$20 is a one dollar savings over having them separate line items.
A.K.A VOS

#273 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

It would appear that the current ELA doesn't discriminate on whether or not you have the capability of utilizing WHDS.The assumption is that if you have only a lone HR2x or HR3x, you must pay the $20 fee.

The DIRECTV sign-up application confirms this fee schedule. If you select only an HR34, it will show the $20 fee (less a $10 discount for 24 months).

Oh? Is that how it's broken down on your statement?

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#274 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,365 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

The ARS fee includes the HD fee [$10], the DVR fee [$8], & the MRV fee [$3].
$20 is a one dollar savings over having them separate line items.

The point is that using an HR34 with RVU clients (whether the C31 or otherwise) doesn't save on monthly fees versus a WHDS system as was suggested might be the case.

#275 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

The point is that using an HR34 with RVU clients (whether the C31 or otherwise) doesn't save on monthly fees versus a WHDS system as was suggested might be the case.

No one who actually KNOWS suggested that was the case at all.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#276 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,365 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

Oh? Is that how it's broken down on your statement?

The table was meant to summarize the information contained in the ELA. Quite obviously, a customer will only be billed for one of the fees per account (unless you're a TiVotee and are blessed with paying two separate fees).

#277 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

That isn't really known yet.
What you posted are for new customers, and existing customers "may" be able to drop the MRV if they don't have any HR2x "along with" a HR34.
A.K.A VOS

#278 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,365 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:01 PM

Not a step backwards from an H-series, but when it's priced per month the same as an HR, it really isn't worth the potential $3/mo savings from turning off WH.

And if I read this thread correctly, my cost to DirecTV may actually drop by $3. This is the Whole Home fee I currently pay, or does this fee still exist?

If you don't want WHDVR service anymore for any of your STB's then yes you could drop it, AFAIK the HR34/C31 don't need it.

That isn't really known yet.
What you posted are for new customers, and existing customers "may" be able to drop the MRV if they don't have any HR2x "along with" a HR34.

No one who actually KNOWS suggested that was the case at all.

Apparently some posters got the impression that:

1. There may be a reduction of $3 in fees from dropping WHDS.
2. No one actually KNOWS yet.

#279 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

Apparently some posters got the impression that:

1. There may be a reduction of $3 in fees from dropping WHDS.
2. No one actually KNOWS yet.

As they should have gotten.
I'll "know for sure", when I get to the point of dropping my last HR2x.
A.K.A VOS

#280 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

?......

That the C31 includes a USB port makes it obvious that it can't draw from USB.

The design decisions of a c31 having a USB port has Absolutly no factor on a device designed to run off of USB power. Actually that's true about everything in your argument.

The statement I made was in regards to why they didn't design it to run off USB power in the first place. Your assuming they can't design it in a way that could allow it to run on USB based soley on the current design of the c31 and an external deca, that again as Stuart says, has no bearing here, because there is no internal deca in a c31, nor does there need to be. I am not that narrow in my thinking...

spam firewall