Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV First Look: C31-700 Home Media Center RVU Client

• Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

#341 OFFLINE   MrLatte

MrLatte

Legend

• Registered
  • 210 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

RF for the remote IS built in, no dongle needed for the C31.

Sorry, my mistake then. I guess I misinterpreted something earlier in the thread.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#342 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

I really wish they would have included an IR input and IR receiver you could tape to the side of your TV or something. I mean even the cable companies include that with their little free DTA boxes.

Sure having RF built in helps for a lot of people that want to hide the box, but RF doesn't help those of us with programmable remotes. I use Harmony remotes in most rooms, so that means I'll have to keep the C31 boxes exposed somehow instead of being able to hide them behind the TVs, in another room, etc. If DirecTV would have included aan IR input I could have hidden the boxes and just had the little IR sensor taped to the TV.

I understand your preference for the Harmony remote and consequent desire to use IR with the C31. I also think you will be pleasantly surprised by how really small and light the C31 is when you see it in person. It could easily be attached to the edge or top of any thin profile TV using Velcro tape and be relatively unnoticeable. If that is still too visible for you, an IR receiver/emitter device can be obtained relatively cheaply to allow hiding the C31 completely.
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#343 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

I'm waiting for the installer to call and cancel. (thinking they don't have them yet.)

The installer is probably going to show up thinking that you have 3 RVU TV's that need to be setup.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#344 OFFLINE   dmark1867

dmark1867

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

I had an installation with 1 hr34 and 2 c31 clients for tomorrow (sept 15th), just checked with directv and they say the installation was changed to Sept 26th. Wonder if the system rescheduled it due to the fact that the c31's are not available? The reps seem completely clueless, it is so aggravating.

#345 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

I had an installation with 1 hr34 and 2 c31 clients for tomorrow (sept 15th), just checked with directv and they say the installation was changed to Sept 26th. Wonder if the system rescheduled it due to the fact that the c31's are not available? The reps seem completely clueless, it is so aggravating.

Are you in Huntington WV? If so I would expect it to get pushed out farther again as you're not in the initial test martkets if so. I'd be curious to see the order details.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#346 OFFLINE   dmark1867

dmark1867

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

I am in Huntington, WV and I have heard that as well. Everytime I call I am told something else. I think i might re-schedule the installation to the following Saturday to aviod potentially taking a day off of work for nothing. If I did that I think i would be so annoyed I would just competely cancel.

#347 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

Are you in Huntington WV? If so I would expect it to get pushed out farther again as you're not in the initial test martkets if so. I'd be curious to see the order details.

What are the initial test markets?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#348 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

I am in Huntington, WV and I have heard that as well. Everytime I call I am told something else. I think i might re-schedule the installation to the following Saturday to aviod potentially taking a day off of work for nothing. If I did that I think i would be so annoyed I would just competely cancel.

At this point you need to get the order modified to just have HD receivers for the other TV's and then you'll be fine.

What are the initial test markets?

They're not publicly available and "soon" it won't matter anyways.

#349 OFFLINE   dmark1867

dmark1867

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:20 PM

I thought maybe my installation was kicked back to the 26th of sept from tomorrow the 15th was due to equipment availability. One of my friends knows a directv installer in my area and I just texted him and he told me that the C31 RVU client and SD Dongle is available in my area now. I guess we will see what happens on the 26th!

#350 OFFLINE   y2k02c5

y2k02c5

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:10 AM

Sorry if this was covered, but will the C31 work with any TV, or just with the Samsung RVU enabled units?

#351 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

Sorry if this was covered, but will the C31 work with any TV, or just with the Samsung RVU enabled units?

It works with any TV. SD TVs will need the 10 pin SD dongle.
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#352 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

You wouldn't need a C31 if you have a Samsung RVU enabled TV.
A.K.A VOS

#353 OFFLINE   y2k02c5

y2k02c5

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

It works with any TV. SD TVs will need the 10 pin SD dongle.

Great. Thanks

You wouldn't need a C31 if you have a Samsung RVU enabled TV.

I'm eligible for an H34 Upgrade, which I was planning to install for my basement projector, and then get an additional H25 receiver for my 2nd TV in my basement bar. So now I'm thinking, if available in my area, to request a C31 for the bar TV. Only drawback, is that I wouldn't be able to view the programming on my HR24's in my family room, just the HR34. But I assume that this will probably get changed with a future software update??

#354 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

I'm eligible for an H34 Upgrade, which I was planning to install for my basement projector, and then get an additional H25 receiver for my 2nd TV in my basement bar. So now I'm thinking, if available in my area, to request a C31 for the bar TV. Only drawback, is that I wouldn't be able to view the programming on my HR24's in my family room, just the HR34. But I assume that this will probably get changed with a future software update??

Updates will be coming and MRV works.
I've had both the H25 & C31 and the only real difference is whether you want a live buffer "while watching" a show.
If you hit record from the H25 and then start watching it, there isn't much of a difference between the two.
A.K.A VOS

#355 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,178 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

Other then performance. The H25 is a speed demon.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#356 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

I really wish they would have included an IR input and IR receiver you could tape to the side of your TV or something. I mean even the cable companies include that with their little free DTA boxes.

Sure having RF built in helps for a lot of people that want to hide the box, but RF doesn't help those of us with programmable remotes. I use Harmony remotes in most rooms, so that means I'll have to keep the C31 boxes exposed somehow instead of being able to hide them behind the TVs, in another room, etc. If DirecTV would have included aan IR input I could have hidden the boxes and just had the little IR sensor taped to the TV.

As a person who does universal remotes and home automation for a living, your post makes no sense. If I had enough devices to warrant a universal remote, I can't stick it all behind a TV. The D* remote does a TV, AVR, bluray, and D* box. I can't even put all those devices behind a TV.

LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, HR24, Xbox One.

Bonus: 70" Vizio, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun

#357 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

One question I dont see covered. Media Share, does it handle it or will this be going away?

#358 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

I think Media Share works, but I haven't tested it.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#359 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

As a person who does universal remotes and home automation for a living, your post makes no sense. If I had enough devices to warrant a universal remote, I can't stick it all behind a TV. The D* remote does a TV, AVR, bluray, and D* box. I can't even put all those devices behind a TV.

For a home I agree. There are commercial installs where ir is preferable but rear mounting is as well.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#360 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

For a home I agree. There are commercial installs where ir is preferable but rear mounting is as well.

And are these C31s even available for commercial? I would think the HR34 is not the best fit for a commercial install.

LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, HR24, Xbox One.

Bonus: 70" Vizio, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun

Protected By... spam firewall...And...