Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV First Look: C31-700 Home Media Center RVU Client

• Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,583 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:14 AM

There's a video review of the C31 over at SolidSignal.com. Take a look (post 7 of the linked thread).

http://forums.solids...a-Center-Client

Good video with good information but dbstalk and Stuart's first looks have them beat when it comes to details. Just look at the pics in the video and you'll see finger prints on the top of the C31. With Stuart's first look the C31 looks nice and clean. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   LoweBoy

LoweBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:30 AM

Very NICE First Look as usual. Looking forward to getting my grubby paws on one of these!
LoweBoy
1 HR34-700 -- Pioneer VSX-1021 -- Samsung 55" B8k
1 HR24-500 -- Samsung 46" C8k
1 HR20-100 -- Vizio 32"
1 H25-700-- Vizio 32"
1 H25-500-- Samsung 40"

nomad & MRV all self installed
iPads & iPhones & AppleTV

#23 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,168 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:34 AM

Finally!

I was so tired of Dish having the edge on us with their Joey.

Now no more ... :)

Great first look (as always).

Awaiting news on availability, as well as confirmation of the rumor that DIRECTV will only charge monthly for the first three active RVU clients.

#24 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,723 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:33 AM

Like the saying goes good things come in small packages. Nice work guys.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#25 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,103 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:19 AM

Looks great, though I'm still wondering if its owned/leased.

#26 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:35 AM

Great first look guys!

I see it can get poster art, unlike a regular H2x since it is really using the HR34 to do all the heavy lifting.

Does this mean that you can also go through VOD channels and initiate downloads from a C31?

Sounds like you can go through the To Do list and History from a C31?

So what is "individual" between the C31's and HR34? The remote control setup and Favorites list?

This is really the way to go if you get FULL functionality in every room (access to the series manager, double play, VOD, etc).

Does the iPad app detect a C31 as a separate receiver for remote control?

Are each C31's able to be named ie) "Bedroom", "Office", "Kitchen", etc...

Any word on the pricing?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#27 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,307 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:37 AM

Looks great, though I'm still wondering if its owned/leased.

I'm not certain. There is a Home Media Center charge of $6.00/month for each C31. I have three, so that is $18.00/month. I suspect that they are leased once they are ready to ship them, but perhaps not since I see them as being like an AM21x, or NOMAD. We should know in the coming days.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#28 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:41 AM

I'm not certain. There is a Home Media Center charge of $6.00/month for each C31. I have three, so that is $18.00/month. I suspect that they are leased once they are ready to ship them, but perhaps not since I see them as being like an AM21x, or NOMAD. We should know in the coming days.

There's no access card slot right? I thought the monthly fee was to mirror programming on the access card. So if you could buy one outright and put it on your network, wouldn't it find your HR34 and you could pair it up without DirecTV's intervention?

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#29 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,243 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:48 AM

Great job

JACK,

#30 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,805 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:52 AM

Nice work on the First Look by the C31 team, as well as the supplemental additional FAQ.

Those little units are quite something.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#31 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,100 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:56 AM

There's no access card slot right? I thought the monthly fee was to mirror programming on the access card. So if you could buy one outright and put it on your network, wouldn't it find your HR34 and you could pair it up without DirecTV's intervention?

There is no access card slot; the charge is based on how many active clients you can have simultaneously. For instance, if you are signed up for 2 RVU clients and try to turn on a 3rd on the same network, you'll see on an on-screen message that says something like "You are not authorized for this location. Please turn off {name of 1st location} or {name of 2nd location} and try again." Or words to that effect.

Great job on the First Look, Stuart. These are nice little boxes and very convenient. :)

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#32 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,031 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:58 AM

A really cool feature is the ability to connect the C31 wirelessly via a WCCK.
Works great for those places where you don't have a cable drop.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#33 OFFLINE   Mike_TV

Mike_TV

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:12 AM

So I'm guessing people who have lifetime DVR on their account (I have three HRxx in my house) moving to an HMC with RVU client set up would starting incurring an additional $18.00/month charge since these are not DVRs?

#34 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:20 AM

I don't know what remote will come with it, at least for now assume it is the rc65.

Speaking of remotes, it can do an RF remote without any additional hardware, support is built in.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#35 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:21 AM

And if anyone is curious about supporting 3D TV's, yes it does work with 3D channels.

#36 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,852 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:22 AM

Currently I have an HR24, H24 and my H21(owned) is inactive (Home renovations).

I currently pay:
$8 - Advanced Receiver-DVR Monthly
$3 - Whole Home DVR Service Monthly
$6 - Additional TV

That's $17 for 2 rooms.

Are you saying if I got rid of everything I have right now and did an HR34 with 2 C31's, it would only be $1 more a month, but I get 3 rooms instead of 2?

If so, that's not a bad deal.

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#37 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,100 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:23 AM

And to answer a few other obvious questions people might have, without digging into Stuart's great document, it CAN do DoublePlay, but not PIP. It DOES support Pandora streaming (you have to activate through the Pandora website for each client) but not YouTube videos.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#38 ONLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,917 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:28 AM

As always, an excellent First Look. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#39 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:46 AM

Well, if they are owned (which would be great) or if they are only considered an accessory than DirecTV would lose a lot of 2 year commitments as people add rooms with new boxes months or years later. I can't imagine them giving up that cash cow. It would virtually eliminate individual "contracts" after the initial 2 years for new customers with HMC & only clients setups.

#40 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:47 AM

Currently I have an HR24, H24 and my H21(owned) is inactive (Home renovations).

I currently pay:
$8 - Advanced Receiver-DVR Monthly
$3 - Whole Home DVR Service Monthly
$6 - Additional TV

That's $17 for 2 rooms.

Are you saying if I got rid of everything I have right now and did an HR34 with 2 C31's, it would only be $1 more a month, but I get 3 rooms instead of 2?

If so, that's not a bad deal.

Sorry but no from my understanding. The C31 carries the same $6/month charge as an additional receiver does, so it would be $12 for two additional rooms.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...