Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV First Look: C31-700 Home Media Center RVU Client

• Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

#421 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

If you want to "rock it old school" you could use the 10 pin to component cable, set your resolution to 480i and just use the green "Y" channel/cable for some nice black and white DTV images. :sure:

...and in honor of our matchup this week in Pittsburgh:

....E-A-G-L-E-S,........EAGLES!!!!!!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#422 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

there is no composite hookup on the C31. I would watch one tv at a time anyway, Want to bring the fr remote down the basement to change channels.

You need a composite dongle, which fits in the same plug as the component dongle. Trust me, it works. ;). It's just hard to find right now, maybe solid signal has it, not sure if they have it yet, but I know they will at some point. It's the same dongle that is used for the h25 receivers.

#423 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Hello all,

I've been fighting an issue with my HR34 + C31s. Previously I had RVU Samsung TV Clients... They were sluggish, etc. I chose to move to the C31 due to how speedy they were.

My issue is, once the tech and I pair the C31 with the HR34 it wants to do a software update. It basically ends up forcing the update. Prior to the update it all works perfectly. After the Update the C31 cannot find the "server" (HR34). Has anyone had this issue? This has now happened on all 4 C31's I have. RVU on the Samsung TV still works flawlessly besides the sluggishness.

I am able to do a factory reset on it (which reverts to the previous software) and it will see the HR34. But minutes later it will want to do the update again.

Thanks for any input. :)

You can not stop an update for the c31. The latest software for a c31 is actually kept on the HR34 itself.

With the c31 on, press and hold select for about eleven seconds, and then release it and then let us know what software version it says you are seeing on the c31.

#424 OFFLINE   mattgt

mattgt

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

@Supramom2000 - A billion times. The installer is now replacing the HR34 to see if that's the cause. I'll update after he is done.

@inkahauts - The software version is 0x06D0, Fri, 9/7/2012. (The HR34 is running the Gennie Software (latest)).

Thanks for the help guys!

#425 OFFLINE   steelerfanmike

steelerfanmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts
  • LocationNj/pa border

Posted 06 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

You need a composite dongle, which fits in the same plug as the component dongle. Trust me, it works. ;). It's just hard to find right now, maybe solid signal has it, not sure if they have it yet, but I know they will at some point. It's the same dongle that is used for the h25 receivers.

Yes your right.... That composite dongle is very hard to find. Waiting on component dongle ,than to a component to composite adapter, than to a rf modular. I guess i needed this to work bad.... LOL:lol:

Thanks for everyone's input.... You too Eagle fan...(NOT)
HR34-700 with a AM 21 OTA Tuner Hooked to a Sony HD3D 60" TV ( KDL-60EX720)
With 3 C31 Clients an using a Cisco E4200 V2 wireless router for APPS and Youtube
Hooked to a OTA Channel Master Roof mount 100 mile range antenna with a rotor.
To watch (Philly @ WilkesBarre PA. Locals)
Directv locals are NYC

#426 OFFLINE   dmark1867

dmark1867

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:48 AM

Any news on the RCA dongle for the C31? Seems like they are still very hard to find.

#427 OFFLINE   SolidSignal

SolidSignal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:10 AM

I think we will have these in the next few days, hopefully.

#428 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

Any way you can sell just the C31 without the remote and HDMI cable?
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#429 OFFLINE   Craig540

Craig540

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:52 AM

Is there a DVR charge for this like any other DVR?

#430 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

No just an extra receiver fee of $6
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#431 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

Is there a DVR charge for this like any other DVR?

The DVR fees are a once per household arrangement. As you must also have an Advanced HD DVR to use the C31, you'll be paying a single DVR fee.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#432 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

Do you guys have an estimate for when the C31 wall mount will be available?

#433 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

Do you guys have an estimate for when the C31 wall mount will be available?

Not sure about that, but saw they have The composite adapter in at the moment.

#434 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

Am I correct, that currently if you have an HR34, & other HR2x DVR's connected w/MRV, the C31 can ONLY play recordings from the HR34???

#435 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

Am I correct, that currently if you have an HR34, & other HR2x DVR's connected w/MRV, the C31 can ONLY play recordings from the HR34???

If it doesn't with the currently release national software it will be able to play from HR2X's with a future release.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#436 OFFLINE   skemp

skemp

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

I just switched from Dish 922 to the "Genie" HR34 and 3 C31s. I really like it. This is the perfect platform for home entertainment of the future.

I do have one axe to grind though. I was thrilled to read in the dealer install manual for the C31 that you can register up to 8 RVUs to the HMC but only 3 will play at a time. Since my setup came with service for 4 TVs I wanted to buy 2 more C31s so that I could have TV ready to go at all 6 tvs in my house (since sharing seems to be a challenge with Directv unlike Dish). Anyway, my gripe is that Directv wants to charge me the $6 fee for the 5th and 6th TV even though I can only be watching a total of 4 at a time. Not cool.

dtvu.satinstalltraining.com/C31/C31_RVU_FG_FINAL.pdf (page 15)

#437 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,996 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

I just switched from Dish 922 to the "Genie" HR34 and 3 C31s. I really like it. This is the perfect platform for home entertainment of the future.

I do have one axe to grind though. I was thrilled to read in the dealer install manual for the C31 that you can register up to 8 RVUs to the HMC but only 3 will play at a time. Since my setup came with service for 4 TVs I wanted to buy 2 more C31s so that I could have TV ready to go at all 6 tvs in my house (since sharing seems to be a challenge with Directv unlike Dish). Anyway, my gripe is that Directv wants to charge me the $6 fee for the 5th and 6th TV even though I can only be watching a total of 4 at a time. Not cool.

dtvu.satinstalltraining.com/C31/C31_RVU_FG_FINAL.pdf (page 15)

Totally agree with you on the pricing for the additional clients. DIRECTV IMHO really needs to step up to the plate on this and reevaluate this pricing.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#438 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,201 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

Totally agree with you on the pricing for the additional clients. DIRECTV IMHO really needs to step up to the plate on this and reevaluate this pricing.

+1.

And welcome to the forum! :welcome_s
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#439 OFFLINE   skemp

skemp

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

+1.

And welcome to the forum! :welcome_s

Thanks!

Maybe I'm in left-field but I actually believe they will be more profitable in the end if they adjust the per receiver model for Genie setups. Because right now I can't bring myself to buying 2 more C31s at $100 per pop and then be charged another $6 a month for tv #5 and beyond. I would stomach the cost of the C31s alone, though.

#440 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

I've been saying that they shouldn't be charging anything for C31s past the first three for months now since we first heard they would be. I certainly hope that DirecTV listens and changes their mind, but I doubt they will (look at how many complained about charging for Whole Home DVR, DirecTV never went back on that decision either).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...