Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV First Look: C31-700 Home Media Center RVU Client

• Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

#441 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

I agree, charging for more than the right now is very annoying. Id never even consider having more than three clients right now. However, I have to wonder if in part they are (in addition to the obvious reason of gaining income from it) doing it the way they are because of consistency, and also because at some point, we will see people with multiple c31s and HR34s, and at that point, how do you start working the numbers in the system? Could it be done, sure, but at what cost to their backed, and knowing that I doubt very manny of their installs are for more than four tvs anyway...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#442 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

Just yet another reason why I'd just as soon go with full (non-DVR) receivers at the remote-viewing locations, instead of thin-clients.
Rather loose live trick play functions, but still have a separate (remote) tuner, for when there are NO RVU sessions &/or live tuners available, out of the HR34.

#443 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

Just yet another reason why I'd just as soon go with full (non-DVR) receivers at the remote-viewing locations, instead of thin-clients.
Rather loose live trick play functions, but still have a separate (remote) tuner, for when there are NO RVU sessions &/or live tuners available, out of the HR34.

After using the HR34 with clients, after always having DVRs at every TV before, I can say while I used to think just like what your saying, I've changed my mind. I
Love the clients. I'd just never have more than three, so I never run into the situation of not being able to watch something.

#444 OFFLINE   skemp

skemp

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

I agree, charging for more than the right now is very annoying. Id never even consider having more than three clients right now. However, I have to wonder if in part they are (in addition to the obvious reason of gaining income from it) doing it the way they are because of consistency, and also because at some point, we will see people with multiple c31s and HR34s, and at that point, how do you start working the numbers in the system? Could it be done, sure, but at what cost to their backed, and knowing that I doubt very manny of their installs are for more than four tvs anyway...

exactly

#445 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCentral Sierra Mountains

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

FWIW, I've been with D* forever and I haven't asked Customer Retention for anything for a long time. My SDTV in my playroom died last month and I bought a 60" Panny to replace it and when I called and asked CR they sent me an HR34 for free w/free installation and the contract extension. I was pleased enough with that. After reading this thread I stated thinking about my small kitchen flat panel that was connected with RCA's and after calling CR again today they scheduled me for this Saturday for a free install of a C31 for the kitchen panel for the $6.00 per month with no contract extension. I've been with D* for almost 15 years so YMMV but it might be worth a call to Customer Retention to see what they'll cough up.

Vince
Mariposa, CA

#446 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:06 PM

C31 FAQs

Q. Does the AM21 work with the C31?
A. No, but if an AM21 is connected to the HR34, the C31 can play or schedule OTA recordings utilizing that AM21.

According to posters at Solid Signal the C31 can stream LIVE TV. The user claims to have confirmed it. If this is the case, I'm sold.

From Solid Signal:

Originally Posted by SS@SolidSignal

Live OTA, yes. That's what I've been told. VOS, can you confirm?
It works, I just tried it.

My next question is if I have another HD-DVR on this (HR24, etc), will it act as a client? I know it will share it's recorded content. However, will it share it's schedule with the HR34 so everyone can see ALL scheduled recordings? The major problem I have with my Time Warner Whole Home (beside the crap software) is that I always end up with duplicate recording of the same show because my wife will schedule a show in one room and then be in another where she see it is not schedules, therefore she sets it again. I'd like to have the dedicated tuners because I would have up to 4 C31's (if I outfitted every outlet in the home/ 6 total).

This may be my tipping point to pull the trigger and switch, especially since the OTA is streaming because D* won't provide me with all my locals.

I like what I see with D* even though they lack much of the HD that my current Time Warner lineup has. I know they will continue to add the HD.

My only real negatives are no G4 (even SD) and the new guide lacks channel logos in the grid. Logos make for much easier guide scrolling/searching/finding. I really like the Dish GUI for that and think D* should really add it. It's also my understanding that D* has an extensive line of VOD available.

Since I don't yet have it and have been on the fence for awhile sweating out this garbage TWC DVR I'd take any input or comments. I'm especially concerned about the OTA streaming. Thanks

PS: The only other con I see is banging you $6 extra for having the C31 connected since it doesn't have it's own card. It's using the HR-34, but it's still way cheaper than having a DVR on the extra outlet.

ADD ON QUESTIONS: Since the OTA would be recording alot of my items, wouldn't that free up a sat tuner? So, if I'm recording multiple primetime shows, I should be able to still stream the 5 tuners? Could I di-plex my OTA onto the SWiM line?

Edited by BenJF3, 18 October 2012 - 12:11 AM.
Additional Question

BAN the FCC!

#447 OFFLINE   dmark1867

dmark1867

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

I think we will have these in the next few days, hopefully.

Ordered a couple yesterday, thanks!

#448 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:53 AM

According to posters at Solid Signal the C31 can stream LIVE TV. The user claims to have confirmed it. If this is the case, I'm sold.

From Solid Signal:

Originally Posted by SS@SolidSignal

Live OTA, yes. That's what I've been told. VOS, can you confirm?
It works, I just tried it.

My next question is if I have another HD-DVR on this (HR24, etc), will it act as a client? I know it will share it's recorded content. However, will it share it's schedule with the HR34 so everyone can see ALL scheduled recordings? The major problem I have with my Time Warner Whole Home (beside the crap software) is that I always end up with duplicate recording of the same show because my wife will schedule a show in one room and then be in another where she see it is not schedules, therefore she sets it again. I'd like to have the dedicated tuners because I would have up to 4 C31's (if I outfitted every outlet in the home/ 6 total).

This may be my tipping point to pull the trigger and switch, especially since the OTA is streaming because D* won't provide me with all my locals.

I like what I see with D* even though they lack much of the HD that my current Time Warner lineup has. I know they will continue to add the HD.

My only real negatives are no G4 (even SD) and the new guide lacks channel logos in the grid. Logos make for much easier guide scrolling/searching/finding. I really like the Dish GUI for that and think D* should really add it. It's also my understanding that D* has an extensive line of VOD available.

Since I don't yet have it and have been on the fence for awhile sweating out this garbage TWC DVR I'd take any input or comments. I'm especially concerned about the OTA streaming. Thanks

PS: The only other con I see is banging you $6 extra for having the C31 connected since it doesn't have it's own card. It's using the HR-34, but it's still way cheaper than having a DVR on the extra outlet.

ADD ON QUESTIONS: Since the OTA would be recording alot of my items, wouldn't that free up a sat tuner? So, if I'm recording multiple primetime shows, I should be able to still stream the 5 tuners? Could I di-plex my OTA onto the SWiM line?

1. The C31 will stream live OTA only if an AM21 is hooked up to the HR34.

2. Future scheduled recordings on another DVR are not visible to the HR34 or the C31.

3. The maximum simultaneous streams from the HR34 is 3, which can be any combination of live OTA, Satellite, and previously-recorded content. A 4th television can be watched if it is connected directly to the output of the HR34.

4. OTA cannot be diplexed into the SWiM line, the AM21 Off-Air Tuner requires a separate Coax feed from the OTA antenna.

Edited by Smuuth, 18 October 2012 - 09:03 AM.

Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#449 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for the info! Anyone have any insight if they will add the ability for other units to behave the same as the C31 in relation to scheduled recordings?

On that note, one wonders why they didn't just make an HR-34 that supports 8 tuners to take full advantage of a single SWiM feed. That would have made more sense. Then again so would having the add on OTA module just be a dongle or insertable module like how Dish is doing it. The AM21N is huge in comparison to the new hardware coming out.

I do love the fact that clients can stream OTA!

Also, can anyone comment on if D* might add channel logos to the grid? Is there a contact to submit ideas? I know D* pays attention to these forums. Thanks all for the great info. I see a switch soon!

ADD ON: Can anyone confirm how VOD works via the C31?

Edited by BenJF3, 18 October 2012 - 05:40 PM.

BAN the FCC!

#450 OFFLINE   denpri

denpri

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:52 PM

As to your VOD question, just checked and VOD works fine on my C31!

#451 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:44 PM

Since I don't see the C31 listed anywhere on DirecTVs website I suppose you currently have to call them to get one (if you want to get one from them vs SolidSignal or some other non DirecTV source)? Also, does anyone know if they require a truck roll or will they just send one. I already have an HR34.
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#452 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

I only saw it as I was pricing out a new sub sign up. Since I'm looking at this and Dish (now that they have AMC back) and the Genie with clients are available that way. Maybe a new sub only thing via the website.
BAN the FCC!

#453 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

Long time lurker.

I'm scheduled to get DirecTV installed this Saturday. I'm getting the Genie (which I've now learned is also known as the H34) and two C31 units.

I have never subscribed to satellite before, and currently have cable. I will remain with cable for internet, but will be dropping television service with them. Hopefully the location where all my home runs terminate can simply be disconnected from the cable company's splitter (except for the one feeding my cable modem) and be connected to the multiswitch equipment necessary to make the DirecTV equipment work. Ten-year-old home with RG-6 cabling, two cables to each drop.

I recently upgraded our main HDTV, and the one displaced will move to the bedroom. The bedroom TV, an older SD CRT, will be the third outlet in the basement. That comprises my three intended outlets.

Questions:

I normally watch my bedroom TV through ear buds connected to a small bookshelf stereo. That audio signal comes from the TiVo, so the audio is available whether the TV is on or off. If I can get my hands on one of the H2510 10 pin dongles, can I drive an HDTV with HDMI and still deliver audio to the stereo? I guess I don't care if I get the composite or component dongle, as I'm only going to use the audio portion of it.

If I want to move a C31, can I do that by simply ensuring the appropriate home run cable in the intended location is plugged into the multiswitch, after unplugging the home run that connected it to its former location?

I have some space/shelving issues at the main TV. Would it be practical to put the DVR in the bedroom and use a C31 at the main TV, or would there be performance/feature reasons to want the DVR there instead of a client box?

I often record some kids' programming off the air on local subchannels, which won't be carried on satellite. Can I add the AM21 OTA tuner to the H34 and have seamless access to OTA stuff at all televisions?

#454 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:07 AM

I normally watch my bedroom TV through ear buds connected to a small bookshelf stereo. That audio signal comes from the TiVo, so the audio is available whether the TV is on or off. If I can get my hands on one of the H2510 10 pin dongles, can I drive an HDTV with HDMI and still deliver audio to the stereo? I guess I don't care if I get the composite or component dongle, as I'm only going to use the audio portion of it.

Yes, both outputs are active simultaneously.

If I want to move a C31, can I do that by simply ensuring the appropriate home run cable in the intended location is plugged into the multiswitch, after unplugging the home run that connected it to its former location?

You don't even need to disconnect the cables, just use any barrel and cheap terminator on the end of the line. Leaving unused cables isn't optimal but with most installations it's no big deal as long as the unused runs are terminated. If you do run into any issues, disconnecting unused cables would be the first thing to try.

I have some space/shelving issues at the main TV. Would it be practical to put the DVR in the bedroom and use a C31 at the main TV, or would there be performance/feature reasons to want the DVR there instead of a client box?

In most cases there is very little performance difference between the client and the server. The client is a little slower to "wake up" and some people say it's a little slower to perform, but not much.

I often record some kids' programming off the air on local subchannels, which won't be carried on satellite. Can I add the AM21 OTA tuner to the H34 and have seamless access to OTA stuff at all televisions?

OTA programming will go to all clients if the AM21 is connected to the HR34.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#455 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,013 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:14 AM

Congrats and welcome!
Responses in blue below.

Long time lurker.

I'm scheduled to get DirecTV installed this Saturday. I'm getting the Genie (which I've now learned is also known as the H34) and two C31 units.

I have never subscribed to satellite before, and currently have cable. I will remain with cable for internet, but will be dropping television service with them. Hopefully the location where all my home runs terminate can simply be disconnected from the cable company's splitter (except for the one feeding my cable modem) and be connected to the multiswitch equipment necessary to make the DirecTV equipment work. Ten-year-old home with RG-6 cabling, two cables to each drop.

I recently upgraded our main HDTV, and the one displaced will move to the bedroom. The bedroom TV, an older SD CRT, will be the third outlet in the basement. That comprises my three intended outlets.

Questions:

I normally watch my bedroom TV through ear buds connected to a small bookshelf stereo. That audio signal comes from the TiVo, so the audio is available whether the TV is on or off. If I can get my hands on one of the H2510 10 pin dongles, can I drive an HDTV with HDMI and still deliver audio to the stereo? I guess I don't care if I get the composite or component dongle, as I'm only going to use the audio portion of it. My C31 component output is active at the same time as HDMI (used to make the screen caps of the First Look).

If I want to move a C31, can I do that by simply ensuring the appropriate home run cable in the intended location is plugged into the multiswitch, after unplugging the home run that connected it to its former location? Hopefully all of your cables are home runs, can't have any cablevision splitters in the runs. You should easily be able to move a C31 to another cable connected to your multiswitch. A wireless connection kit will work too, it's how mine is connected as I have no cable run to the master bath closet where the C31 is located (feeds the TV thru the wall).

I have some space/shelving issues at the main TV. Would it be practical to put the DVR in the bedroom and use a C31 at the main TV, or would there be performance/feature reasons to want the DVR there instead of a client box? I'd put the DVR where you might want to use PiP. Of course the DVR itself will be more responsive, but the C31 is liveable.

I often record some kids' programming off the air on local subchannels, which won't be carried on satellite. Can I add the AM21 OTA tuner to the H34 and have seamless access to OTA stuff at all televisions? Yep, and the HR34 will scan for channels, but be aware that there might not be Guide data for all the channels/subchannels, and you may have to manually record those.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#456 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,084 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

Long time lurker.

congrats on your first post!

If you plan to use PIP, it is only available on the TV that is directly connected to the HR34.

The AM21 will allow you to watch and/or record only two OTA channels at a time.

#457 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,849 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

When the installer arrives, take a couple of minutes to walk/talk through the install so you are both in agreement as to what will be done and how it will be done. Make sure the installer understands you will still be using cable for internet and does not disturb the coax that is needed to make that happen.

#458 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,917 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

:welcome_s to DBSTalk, active chapter.

You've lurked well, as your questions show a lot of savvy. Don't hesitate to followup.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#459 OFFLINE   TMan

TMan

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for the information! I appreciate it. I'm gonna ramble again.

Sounds like the AM21 is something I can add on my own, purchased at retail, without being formally "installed" on my account per se, other than following the procedure to connect and make the H34 aware of its presence. Good to know that it contributes two OTA-capable tuners (but does not increase my overall tuner count to seven, I assume) to the Genie system. I can't imagine ever being scheduled more than two programs deep on channels not already available to me on the satellite side. Would also make a nice rain fade backup device, too, for the locals. Caution on subchannel guide data is noted. Just ten miles from our local transmitter towers, my antenna is small.

Okay, good. The C31 will drive HDMI and the breakout dongle simultaneously. Not only do I often watch that television without its speakers on (sleeping wife), listening instead through the little stereo's ear buds, I also listen to some news in the morning without even turning the television on. I will probably have to turn on the C31, though, as I assume it will time out overnight, or at least not be on the correct channel. Right now, my old analog-only TiVo is set to record the morning news, so at the appointed time it's always pumping the audio from the correct channel for me. Yeah, that's a pretty bizarre thing I've got going there. :D

Is there a preferred vendor for ordering one of the dongles?

Looks like I'll want the DVR in the living room then, as I can envision using PiP and/or side-by-side functions more there versus the bedroom television. Glad to hear the C31 is adequately responsive otherwise, though.

I don't understand exactly what the DirecTV Cinema Connection Kit is. Is that just a device that connects to the H34 and behaves like a wireless network card to talk to one's existing home wi-fi, or does the device actually add the additional Web-based content to the system? I have wired Ethernet available at the H34's location; will that give the H34 any and all the internet connectivity it needs? The matrix displayed on this page was confusing with how it mentions Ethernet: (edit: the forum won't let me post a URL yet due to low post count)

It will be hard to give up my beloved TiVos after nine years, but it's time to try something different, gain some new channels, and new functionality along the way.

Currently, the cable company coax enters my home. A (powered/amplifying, I think) two-way splitter drives the cable modem on one leg (and thus a nearby router, patch panel,and CAT5 Ethernet home runs), and the other leg splits again into a four-way to drive four home runs that go to various points in my home, though I was only using two. There shouldn't be any other splits elsewhere. I presume we'll just unplug the home runs from that cable four-way and use them with the new switch gear, leaving the cable company stuff undisturbed up through and including the cable modem.

I'm not sure about physically terminating runs like Stuart mentioned, but if I move a C31 to a different room, I can surely manage to swap what cable run is being fed at the multiswitch.

#460 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,013 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

Responses in blue below.

Thanks for the information! I appreciate it. I'm gonna ramble again.

Sounds like the AM21 is something I can add on my own, purchased at retail, without being formally "installed" on my account per se, other than following the procedure to connect and make the H34 aware of its presence. Good to know that it contributes two OTA-capable tuners (but does not increase my overall tuner count to seven, I assume) to the Genie system. I can't imagine ever being scheduled more than two programs deep on channels not already available to me on the satellite side. Would also make a nice rain fade backup device, too, for the locals. Caution on subchannel guide data is noted. Just ten miles from our local transmitter towers, my antenna is small.

Okay, good. The C31 will drive HDMI and the breakout dongle simultaneously. Not only do I often watch that television without its speakers on (sleeping wife), listening instead through the little stereo's ear buds, I also listen to some news in the morning without even turning the television on. I will probably have to turn on the C31, though, as I assume it will time out overnight, or at least not be on the correct channel. Right now, my old analog-only TiVo is set to record the morning news, so at the appointed time it's always pumping the audio from the correct channel for me. Yeah, that's a pretty bizarre thing I've got going there. :D

Is there a preferred vendor for ordering one of the dongles? C31 component dongle link

Looks like I'll want the DVR in the living room then, as I can envision using PiP and/or side-by-side functions more there versus the bedroom television. Glad to hear the C31 is adequately responsive otherwise, though.

I don't understand exactly what the DirecTV Cinema Connection Kit is. Is that just a device that connects to the H34 and behaves like a wireless network card to talk to one's existing home wi-fi, or does the device actually add the additional Web-based content to the system? I have wired Ethernet available at the H34's location; will that give the H34 any and all the internet connectivity it needs? The matrix displayed on this page was confusing with how it mentions Ethernet: (edit: the forum won't let me post a URL yet due to low post count) The Cinema Connection Kit just provides a connection to your router, but you don't need it with an HR34, you can plug it into the network directly (and don't use both!) and it will provide the interface for all coax-connection DVRs/receivers. Now the Wireless Cinema Connection Kit can be used as a wireless bridge to run a C31 without a coax cable.

It will be hard to give up my beloved TiVos after nine years, but it's time to try something different, gain some new channels, and new functionality along the way.

Currently, the cable company coax enters my home. A (powered/amplifying, I think) two-way splitter drives the cable modem on one leg (and thus a nearby router, patch panel,and CAT5 Ethernet home runs), and the other leg splits again into a four-way to drive four home runs that go to various points in my home, though I was only using two. There shouldn't be any other splits elsewhere. I presume we'll just unplug the home runs from that cable four-way and use them with the new switch gear, leaving the cable company stuff undisturbed up through and including the cable modem.

I'm not sure about physically terminating runs like Stuart mentioned, but if I move a C31 to a different room, I can surely manage to swap what cable run is being fed at the multiswitch. 75 ohm coax terminator

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

spam firewall