Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV First Look: C31-700 Home Media Center RVU Client

• Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

#481 OFFLINE   danelgran1

danelgran1

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:18 PM

I did some digging on the internet and it's a common problem. However, there does seem to be a firmware update that fixes it! The bad news is there is no way to force an update...you have to wait.

Check this out:
"http://www.satelliteguys.us/"

threads/293939-Genie-client-%28c31-%29-won-t-power-back-up/page6

The post suggests that the firmware needs to be at 0x6F8.

I checked my two receivers and one is on 0x711 and guess what??? It now powers on with the remote!!!!

However, my daughter tells me that the unit powers off by itself occasionally. (Wondering if that was because of the firmware updates) I will keep on eye on it for now.

My other C31 is on 0x6F8 and it DOES NOT power on with the remote... So I will just leave it on and wait for the update...

Funny how DirecTV customer support people didn't know about this.....

I'M HATING DIRECTV A LITTLE LESS RIGHT NOW..... :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#482 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:30 PM

I did some digging on the internet and it's a common problem. However, there does seem to be a firmware update that fixes it! The bad news is there is no way to force an update...you have to wait.

Check this out:
"http://www.satelliteguys.us/"

threads/293939-Genie-client-%28c31-%29-won-t-power-back-up/page6

The post suggests that the firmware needs to be at 0x6F8.

I checked my two receivers and one is on 0x711 and guess what??? It now powers on with the remote!!!!

However, my daughter tells me that the unit powers off by itself occasionally. (Wondering if that was because of the firmware updates) I will keep on eye on it for now.

My other C31 is on 0x6F8 and it DOES NOT power on with the remote... So I will just leave it on and wait for the update...

Funny how DirecTV customer support people didn't know about this.....

I'M HATING DIRECTV A LITTLE LESS RIGHT NOW..... :confused:

I've had my Genie & C31 since last June, and never had this problem.

The version 711 is a client version and 0x6F8 dates back to last September so this client should get updated soon.
There isn't much of a reason to check out your link, as there are much more informed folks here to ask.

Edited by veryoldschool, 04 March 2013 - 09:36 PM.

A.K.A VOS

#483 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:49 PM

I've never had that issue either (with any software version).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#484 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,855 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 March 2013 - 09:54 PM

I've never had that issue either (with any software version).

I would compare bootstrap version too...

#485 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 10:08 PM

That other site is misleading you.

First of all you should be receiving version 711 automatically soon, I am surprised you have not yet. That said, there were some issues with much older versions but the specific issue you are reporting is not common, not by any stretch.

I wonder if you haven't received te new version because your c31 has been hanging up for whatever reason. I would leave it on for several hours without touching it and see if it picks up the new version by itself.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#486 OFFLINE   powerhouse1960

powerhouse1960

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 05:39 AM

I just replaced my daughter's tivo receivers with these C31 units. I paid $99 for each, etc. Got them installed and shortly realized that I can't power on the receivers with the remote. Called DTV Customer Service and reported the problem. Their solution is to leave them on all the time. The problem with that is when you power off your TV with the remote, it also powers off the box. At this point the only way to power it back on is by hitting the red reset button on the side of the unit.....then wait 15 minutes for the unit to come back on!!!! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!

So I call Direct TV and I tell them I want the units replaced with their H21 which costs $99!!! but they wont do a swap...oh no...they want an additional $200 and that adds 2 more years to my contract!!

I've been a DirecTV customer since forever and I this is how they treat me???? Ridiculous in my opinion!!!! They can't do an even swap????

Now I know you can just leave the receiver on all the time, but that's unacceptable in my opinion....plus, every time you try to turn off your TV with the remote, it turns off the C31!

I mention this to the customer care agent, and they want me to slide the remote to TV mode then power off the TV and slide the remote back into Directv mode... Seriously???? This is their answer????

Try to explain that to my two young daughters! IT'S CRAZY!

Anyone else having this problem?

I REALLY REALLY HATE DIRECTV RIGHT NOW!!!!!!

Is there anything I can do about this???? Besides pay them another $200?????

Did you try the power button on the c31 instead of the red button?
That will tell you if it’s the remote.

#487 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,709 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

Sounds like this might be a HDMI CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) issue where the TV is sending a signal on the HDMI back channel to shut off the source device. If you disable CEC on the TV, the symptom may go away.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#488 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 09:26 AM

C31s do not use HDMI-CEC. The reason both devices are turning off is probably that he is pushing the button on the remote that turns both devices off.
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#489 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

Is it possible that the problematic C31 is actually turning on, but he is getting the grey/black screen error that was a pretty widespread issue? He may just believe it isn't coming on since he doesn't see a TV channel.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#490 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,121 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Which power buttons are you using and where's the slider switch when your hitting the power. And are you rf or ir on the remote for the c31?

#491 OFFLINE   matty8199

matty8199

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:11 AM

It would appear that the current ELA doesn't discriminate on whether or not you have the capability of utilizing WHDS.The assumption is that if you have only a lone HR2x or HR3x, you must pay the $20 fee.

Based on the most sophisticated box in your setup:

Advanced Receiver fee (one or more HD DVRs)  $20
Advanced Receiver - HD fee (H2x)             $10
Advanced Receiver - DVR fee (SD DVR)          $8
Advanced Receiver - TiVo fee (THR-22)         $5 (in addition to the $20 fee)
The DIRECTV sign-up application confirms this fee schedule. If you select only an HR34, it will show the $20 fee (less a $10 discount for 24 months).

i've seen elsewhere in this thread that the $20 is inclusive of the $10 HD access, $8 DVR and $3 whole home (i.e. it's $1 cheaper than all three of those separately)...what does that mean for those of us that are grandfathered into free DVR (i.e. $8 included in base package back from when it was included with premier) and free HD ($10 credit for being on auto-pay)? does that mean if/when i upgrade to the genie i end up losing those and having to pay the additional $20 fee (and in effect my bill goes up $17 before i even add any RVU clients)? right now the only extra fee i'm paying is the $3 whole home DVR fee...

#492 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,709 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

does that mean if/when i upgrade to the genie i end up losing those and having to pay the additional $20 fee (and in effect my bill goes up $17 before i even add any RVU clients)?

I'm pretty sure I covered this earlier. Lifetime DVR service remains for the lifetime of the account number. This is covered under section 7 (third paragraph) of the DIRECTV Customer Agreement. I would hope that they would "back out" the DVR fee or allow you to go with the separate HD and WHDS fees.

You should ask DIRECTV to explain it as only they can tell you how they are going to treat you with any certainty.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#493 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

I thought the $25 advanced receiver service was only for new customers? I know my bill still has the seperate $10 HD Access, $10 DVR service, and $3 Whole home fees. So the customers with grandfathered in free DVR service should still only have to pay the $10 HD Access, and $3 Whole Home fees, they shouldn't have to deal with paying the Advanced Receiver Service fee and worry about getting a $10 refund or whatever.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#494 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,709 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

I thought the $25 advanced receiver service was only for new customers?

I don't think that's the case, but I haven't been able to pin it down. I have a nagging suspicion that anyone (whether a new or existing customer) that adds a Genie now will get dinged the full $25.

I know my bill still has the seperate $10 HD Access, $10 DVR service, and $3 Whole home fees.

I suspect that is because you are being grandfathered.

So the customers with grandfathered in free DVR service should still only have to pay the $10 HD Access, and $3 Whole Home fees, they shouldn't have to deal with paying the Advanced Receiver Service fee and worry about getting a $10 refund or whatever.

It seems reasonable but as I say, what DIRECTV does is entirely up to them.

#495 OFFLINE   scirica

scirica

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 07:55 AM

I recently swapped out an HR23 for an HR34. Moved my living room HR24 to the bedroom so I went from an HR23 and HR24 to a Genie and HR24.

For an additional room can I just add a C31 to the system and leave my HR24 in the bedroom? In other words, can you have a mix of C31's and HR2x's in your "Genie" system?

#496 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

For an additional room can I just add a C31 to the system and leave my HR24 in the bedroom? In other words, can you have a mix of C31's and HR2x's in your "Genie" system?

Yes, you can.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#497 OFFLINE   scirica

scirica

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

Yes, you can.

Thanks for the quick reply. This will be perfect for adding a panel in my home office and putting the C31 in the closet below.

#498 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,855 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

A question to that person who did pictures for the "First Look ..." - please post hires picture of PCB with removed heat-sink.
Or post, at least, model of main CPU: BCM7???

#499 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,103 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

A question to that person who did pictures for the "First Look ..." - please post hires picture of PCB with removed heat-sink.
Or post, at least, model of main CPU: BCM7???

:)

those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#500 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,855 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

OK, Scott then :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...