Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV First Look: C31-700 Home Media Center RVU Client

• Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:49 AM

It DOES support Pandora streaming (you have to activate through the Pandora website for each client) but not YouTube videos.

Just to be honest Pandora is there on the extras menu but it's not ready for prime time yet, it currently plays only one song and then stops.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:57 AM

What does/will it cost for one??
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#43 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:02 AM

What does/will it cost for one??

I've seen a rumor of $50 but no official pricing that I know if yet.

#44 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:05 AM

Just to be honest Pandora is there on the extras menu but it's not ready for prime time yet, it currently plays only one song and then stops.

How about VOD channels 1000+?

Can the iPad remote control or other ip remote control apps find C31's?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#45 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

How about VOD channels 1000+?

Can the iPad remote control or other ip remote control apps find C31's?

Yes, the C31 can access all the DirecTV on Demand channels, just like any HRXX.

As for the iPad application it doesn't see any of my C31's, only the HRXX's.

#46 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:20 AM

Great first look guys!

I see it can get poster art, unlike a regular H2x since it is really using the HR34 to do all the heavy lifting.

Does this mean that you can also go through VOD channels and initiate downloads from a C31?

Yes

Sounds like you can go through the To Do list and History from a C31?

Yup!

So what is "individual" between the C31's and HR34? The remote control setup and Favorites list?

Yes, remote setup is unique and so are guide favorites. Other preferences like resolution settings, audio settings, parental controls, ect. are set individually on the C31.

This is really the way to go if you get FULL functionality in every room (access to the series manager, double play, VOD, etc).

Yeah, you get full DVR functionality in a tiny little box.

Does the iPad app detect a C31 as a separate receiver for remote control?

Not yet. I hope it's in the works but I don't know.

Are each C31's able to be named ie) "Bedroom", "Office", "Kitchen", etc...

Yes.

Any word on the pricing?

My guess is $49.95 :)

Oh, and great job on the First Look guys. Outstanding! :up:

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#47 OFFLINE   shuye

shuye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

Great first look!

I guess pricing will be clearer over the next few days, but if all that you have is a HR34 and C31's will you no longer need the $3 per month Whole Home DVR service?

#48 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

I'm not sure of the answer to that. I think that it will probably be a month before we have public confirmation of pricing.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#49 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,004 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

A really cool feature is the ability to connect the C31 wirelessly via a WCCK.
Works great for those places where you don't have a cable drop.

Guess I could expand on this a little bit.
Normally the C31 is on the subnet that is set up on the cable through the SWM, and the C31 provides the HR34 a display interface using the RVU protocol.
The WCCK can instead provide a wireless ethernet link for the C31 to the HR34 through your wireless router and home network, and the direct connection between the C31 and WCCK is a short section of RG6.
Simply set up the WCCK as one normally would (been so long I forget how, but must not have been too hard) and connect the cable between the WCCK and C31 and that's it other than the C31 setup itself (setup procedure is in the First Look).

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#50 OFFLINE   shuye

shuye

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

Is there any noticable difference in the speed of changing channels as compared to a H24/25 or HR? (faster or slower since there is no local tuner?)

How quick is the trick play and accessing recordings from the HR34? Is is comparable to the current speeds of whole home DVR?

Thanks.

#51 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,460 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

Just to confirm, you have full access to Manage series links, to do list etc on the HR34 from the C31?

#52 ONLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,207 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

Just to confirm, you have full access to Manage series links, to do list etc on the HR34 from the C31?

Yes you do.

Great job on the First Look, Stuart.
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#53 OFFLINE   slacker_x

slacker_x

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

This device is exactly what I wanted when I switched to DirecTV. We only have 3 TV's in the house and I'd love to have On-demand/trickplay from every room. I already have the HR34. Just want to see what the price would be.

#54 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:10 AM

1) Is there an impact of performance with 3 or 4 devices doing trick play?
2) I hope this thing is under purchase model vs lease, being there's no access card, would be nice for guest rooms.
3) What will it cost?
4) Will you still need MRV if all you have is HR34 and C31s?
my setup here

#55 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

2) I hope this thing is under purchase model vs lease, being there's no access card, would be nice for guest rooms.

This would be nice for me.
I have guess about 10 weeks a year it would be nice to set it up for those weeks only.

JACK,

#56 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

This is the future of DIRECTV: It's all RVU, and it's smaller than you imagined. Yes, that's an iPhone on top.

It seems to be a great start, but the "future" needs to include an HMC with a heck of alot more tuners than 5 (IMO 8-10 at a minimum) otherwise it is far too limiting to be a total replacement for a setup like mine (which isn't that extravagent of a setup -- TVs in 3 bedrooms, the office and living room).
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#57 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:34 AM

It seems to be a great start, but the "future" needs to include an HMC with a heck of alot more tuners than 5 (IMO 8-10 at a minimum) otherwise it is far too limiting to be a total replacement for a setup like mine (which isn't that extravagent of a setup -- TVs in 3 bedrooms, the office and living room).

A lot of the folks here are not the 'normal' DIRECTV customer. I've heard that a very small percentage has more then one HD DVR so DIRECTV may feel that for the majority of them the HR34 will be just fine.

#58 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,617 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:40 AM

I suspect the requirement to have more than 5 tuners does not reflect the vast majority of customers in the market....in fact, 4 rooms of support was a standard established based on market research.

Having an HR34, along with perhaps one HR24 as a unit on the WHDS/MRV network provides 7 tuners. Implementations of 8,10, or more tuners are the exception rather than the rule to overall DirecTV households. That's not to say they are important, but since they are the exception, those needs likely will not drive product strategies.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#59 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,734 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

I take it TVApps, game lounge, score guide and other interactive features are also available on the C31? The HR34 CPU is driving these features though correct? So say 3 clients are all playing game lounge... How slow does that make the HR34 CPU crawl?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#60 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

I would like to point out, just for accuracy, that the C31 First Look is a joint effort. A lot of people did the work. I did very little of the writing and didn't take the pictures this time. Everyone on the team deserves the credit.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall