Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV First Look: C31-700 Home Media Center RVU Client

• Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

#81 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

If you have a phone line connected to the HR34, can all connected C31's access the call logs and see caller ID popups?

Yes.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,175 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

I suspect the requirement to have more than 5 tuners does not reflect the vast majority of customers in the market.<< Snipped bits out >>

I bet it doesn't represent a slim majority much less a vast one! :hurah: In fact, I would be surprised if more than 20% of even the rarified group that makes up the DBSTalk regulars need more than 7. (One HR34 and one other DVR). Thus guessing that the general population really interested in paying for way more tuners would be less than 5%.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#83 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,175 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

Terrific little unit, and fine first look!

It's as compact as I had hoped.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#84 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,681 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

Any news on whether the C31 is RVU certified?

UL listed?

FCC approved?

RVU and MoCA certification wouldn't be necessary for DIRECTV's immediate purposes, but UL listing and FCC approval would seem a must before the product is allowed into general availability.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#85 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,808 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

Alright, so here's my question for speculation. How long before the standard install is a HR34 with c31 clients as the normal and all free install, and then make all h2xs $50 and hr2xs $99 on new installs, basically flipping their current pricing structure for new customers. I'd like to think almost immediately after its available, but I suspect physical inventory may be the determining factor for when they can go to that model.

Like you, I suspect inventory, as well as training, to be the reasons why it wouldn't be immediate...

~Alan

#86 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 583 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

Nice. Just in time too.
List is getting short….FMC HD, ID HD, Sundance HD, and Encore HD Channels.

#87 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

UL listed?

FCC approved?

RVU and MoCA certification wouldn't be necessary for DIRECTV's immediate purposes, but UL listing and FCC approval would seem a must before the product is allowed into general availability.

Don't know about the other two but the label on the bottom says tested to comply with FCC regulations for home and office use.

Edited by RAD, 30 August 2012 - 01:59 PM.

#88 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,082 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

UL listed?

FCC approved?

It's UL listed. And it works as advertised. I don't recall the answers to the other questions right off hand.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#89 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,904 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

A really cool feature is the ability to connect the C31 wirelessly via a WCCK.
Works great for those places where you don't have a cable drop.

How does the WCCK give live video on a C31?

Seems to me we tried that years ago for early MRV and concluded that 802.11g/n wasn't reliable enough so wired or DECA is always recommended.

Isn't this like MRV/WHDVR?

#90 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

I dont see this answered anywhere....

Can I view HR24 (or other HRxx) recorded programs on the C31 as I can on my HR34 (lets assume MRV/WHDVR etc).
HR34-700, HR24-100, 3x H25-100s, MRV on DECA, SWM16

#91 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:30 PM

Seems to me we tried that years ago for early MRV and concluded that 802.11g/n wasn't reliable enough so wired or DECA is always recommended.

It would be, and after using a U-Who wireless receiver, it all comes down to how you setup your WiFi network.
U-Who uses a 5 GHz N access point, with the gateway being 2.4 GHz G.

The U-Who ad mentioned earlier in this thread, like all ads, doesn't really address the limitations.
A.K.A VOS

#92 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,735 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

Has anyone tried using these with two HR34s?

#93 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

I dont see this answered anywhere....

Can I view HR24 (or other HRxx) recorded programs on the C31 as I can on my HR34 (lets assume MRV/WHDVR etc).

I don't believe this is currently true but it will be in the future. I'm sorry but I have no other information to give.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#94 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

Has anyone tried using these with two HR34s?

I don't believe you'll find an answer to that question that satisfies you... officially DIRECTV only supports one HR34 per account.

#95 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

It would be, and after using a U-Who wireless receiver, it all comes down to how you setup your WiFi network.
U-Who uses a 5 GHz N access point, with the gateway being 2.4 GHz G.

The U-Who ad mentioned earlier in this thread, like all ads, doesn't really address the limitations.

I agree with VOS, wireless for WHDVR or the C31 client very much depends on the wireless network. When I was playing with it moving the wireless DECA just a couple feet one way or another could impact how well it worked. IMHO there's just too many variables involved to be able to say flat out that a wireless C31 setup will work reliabily.

#96 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,286 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

There's no access card slot right? I thought the monthly fee was to mirror programming on the access card. So if you could buy one outright and put it on your network, wouldn't it find your HR34 and you could pair it up without DirecTV's intervention?

I don't know the answer to that, however, at anyone time the most C31s you can have on the HR34 is 3, that to me doesn't mean you can't have 5 C31s, but that the HR34 can only service 3 at once. This includes TVs too (RVU clients), so the cost, as I'm aware, is associated with the number of fulltime "potential" clients, form the HR34-700. I know others were scaled to the number they were using, but I'm not sure how that worked with TV interfaces, since I didn't have an RVU capable set.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#97 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,286 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

So I'm guessing people who have lifetime DVR on their account (I have three HRxx in my house) moving to an HMC with RVU client set up would starting incurring an additional $18.00/month charge since these are not DVRs?

$6.00 per unit, attached to an HR34-700. But if you don't have any, then $0.00 extra, for clients, but there is the usual STB charge on top of that.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#98 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,286 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

Well, if they are owned (which would be great) or if they are only considered an accessory than DirecTV would lose a lot of 2 year commitments as people add rooms with new boxes months or years later. I can't imagine them giving up that cash cow. It would virtually eliminate individual "contracts" after the initial 2 years for new customers with HMC & only clients setups.

Good point, I don't know. :)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#99 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,866 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

UL listed?

FCC approved?

Yes it is RVU, UL, and FCC approved. It is also energy star and Dolby certified. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind your question, but the answers are matters of public record.

#100 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

The WCCK simply acts as an ethernet bridge to your wireless router so that the C31 and the HR34 can talk to each other (in place of the subnet through the SWM on a wired connection). The HR34 uses the RVU protocol to send video over this wireless connection. The WCCK and C31 are connected with a short run of coax cable. Yes, range will be limited by the quality of your router and physical layout of your setup. Does the RVU protocol provide a "better" connection than streaming straight video over a wireless connection? Don't know, and don't recall seeing any discussion on the subject. Works for me. My WCCK/C31 and wireless router are separated by about 20' and two walls.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

Protected By... spam firewall...And...