Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV First Look: C31-700 Home Media Center RVU Client

• Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

If we could obtain UL, FCC and RVU IDs, we could run queries and obtain meaningful technical info (since no one want to answer to technical questions here :( ).
Especially someone did open it and made small unreadable pictures.

Actually the IDs are on a label and easily accessible. Why not share with us ?

Edited by P Smith, 30 August 2012 - 06:04 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

It also has the Good Housekeeping seal of approval.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#103 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

Good video with good information but dbstalk and Stuart's first looks have them beat when it comes to details. Just look at the pics in the video and you'll see finger prints on the top of the C31. With Stuart's first look the C31 looks nice and clean. :)

Agreed. Not sure who the loser is that does those things for SS, but they should give Stuart a call.

#104 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

It all depends on use. These are great for where you want something quiet, like in a bedroom, want an extra set but don't want to have to redo your setup because your SWM slots are full etc.

I was just thinking about what I would want. We have a HR24 in our bedroom and it doesn't bother us at all. My wife stores a lot of her shows on it and watches them during the summer (she's a school teacher). I'm just thinking for the price why not go big :D I wish they had them for around $2 a month and no whole home charge. Oh well everyone is different.

#105 OFFLINE   63thk

63thk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

So this is like the DISH Hopper?

#106 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,922 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 30 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

Probably best to make your own call on that.

If you start reading from the beginning, you'll understand. Information on the Hopper/Joey system is available on the Dish side of the forum.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#107 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 945 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

Will it do PIP?

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#108 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

Will it do PIP?

No.
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#109 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,046 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

If we could obtain UL, FCC and RVU IDs, we could run queries and obtain meaningful technical info (since no one want to answer to technical questions here :( ).

You can find the UL info yourself with a little looking. I haven't bothered with the others. And I'm not going to open any of mine and risk destroying them to answer your other queries. Why not buy one and let the rest of us know?

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#110 OFFLINE   iceburg02

iceburg02

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

I don't know the answer to that, however, at anyone time the most C31s you can have on the HR34 is 3, that to me doesn't mean you can't have 5 C31s, but that the HR34 can only service 3 at once. This includes TVs too (RVU clients), so the cost, as I'm aware, is associated with the number of fulltime "potential" clients, form the HR34-700. I know others were scaled to the number they were using, but I'm not sure how that worked with TV interfaces, since I didn't have an RVU capable set.

This is my biggest question and potential hangup. Let's say I want to connect 10 TV's but don't need more than 4 running simultaneously. Ideally, I could hook up an HR34 to the first and C31's to the other 9. While I would be charged the one-time acquisition fee of $X for each C31 box, I would only be charged $18/mo ongoing for the clients as I couldn't have more than 3 active at any one time.

I hope you're not telling me they'd charge $54/mo.

#111 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,684 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

Agreed. Not sure who the loser is that does those things for SS, but they should give Stuart a call.

Funny :)

#112 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,046 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

This is my biggest question and potential hangup. Let's say I want to connect 10 TV's but don't need more than 4 running simultaneously. Ideally, I could hook up an HR34 to the first and C31's to the other 9. While I would be charged the one-time acquisition fee of $X for each C31 box, I would only be charged $18/mo ongoing for the clients as I couldn't have more than 3 active at any one time.

I hope you're not telling me they'd charge $54/mo.

No one yet knows the answer to that question. I expect detailed pricing info for "corner cases" such as that will become known around the time of the full national availability in the next month to six weeks.

Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#113 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,951 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

Sorry if I missed something obvious and realize this may have even been answered somewhere in the Samsung RUV capable TV thread;

But since the C31 has no access card and you do not call in to activate, how does DIRECTV really know if and when a C31 or other RVU client has been added to begin billing?

Does the HR34 report back by internet or phone line connection or something when the client has been successfully added?

#114 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

Sorry if I missed something obvious and realize this may have even been answered somewhere in the Samsung RUV capable TV thread;

But since the C31 has no access card and you do not call in to activate, how does DIRECTV really know if and when a C31 or other RVU client has been added to begin billing?

Does the HR34 report back by internet or phone line connection or something when the client has been successfully added?

You need to "add a client" to the HR34 and you need RVU support billing on your account to allow it.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#115 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

Just did quick check ...

The C31 uses 5 watts when ON, 3 watts in standby.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#116 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,461 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Excellent job on the first look, guys. Very informative.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#117 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,046 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

You need to "add a client" to the HR34 and you need RVU support billing on your account to allow it.

And to add just a tiny bit to Sixto's reply . . . your Directv account indicates how many RVU clients you are allowed to use at once. If you only have 1 or 2 allowed on your account in the RVU section of your Services, connecting another one and turning it on will give you an on-screen prompt to turn off one of the other locations. Your account authorizations tell the HR34 how many clients it is allowed to have at once.

Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#118 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

And to add just a tiny bit to Sixto's reply . . . your Directv account indicates how many RVU clients you are allowed to use at once. If you only have 1 or 2 allowed on your account in the RVU section of your Services, connecting another one and turning it on will give you an on-screen prompt to turn off one of the other locations. Your account authorizations tell the HR34 how many clients it is allowed to have at once.

So, theoretically, you could have 10 C31's and only use at most 3 at a time, correct?

#119 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,988 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

I agree with VOS, wireless for WHDVR or the C31 client very much depends on the wireless network. When I was playing with it moving the wireless DECA just a couple feet one way or another could impact how well it worked. IMHO there's just too many variables involved to be able to say flat out that a wireless C31 setup will work reliabily.

In some situations it will work but many will have issues. I tried it too even on g and then on n and I could get it to work fine in some locations but one location not so much.

#120 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,967 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

To delete a client, you need to call, at least when I've clicked on that option on the HR34, you get a message to call.

spam firewall