Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV First Look: C31-700 Home Media Center RVU Client

• Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:49 PM

Just did quick check ...

The C31 uses 5 watts when ON, 3 watts in standby.

That's very big.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,160 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

So, theoretically, you could have 10 C31's and only use at most 3 at a time, correct?

I really don't know the answer. I mean, you would think so. But it really kind of depends on how Directv's account systems are setup.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#123 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,178 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

I'm guessing not.

You'd have a limit on how many could be added (the # you're paying for) and it's not easy to swap them.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#124 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

I'm guessing not.

You'd have a limit on how many could be added (the # you're paying for) and it's not easy to swap them.

But if you can get them from a third party at some point (purchase, assuming owned), and put 10 in various rooms, you don't think you'd be able to activate 2-3 at a time? Disconnect one, get code for another?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#125 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

But if you can get them from a third party at some point (purchase, assuming owned), and put 10 in various rooms, you don't think you'd be able to activate 2-3 at a time? Disconnect one, get code for another?

First it's a max of 6 RVU clients on the account, with only 3 being able to be connected to the HR34 at one time. So any of those 6 clients could connect as long as you don't go over 3 concurrent RVU clients being powered on at a time.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#126 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,160 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

I don't know if you'd actually have to even "disconnect" one. Assuming you could even obtain that many, turning on a 4th client should simply prompt you that you have too many clients and tell you to turn off one of the others.

On the other hand, the authorization process used by Directv's back-end servers may tell the HR34 simply not to allow connection of any more than three, ever. In which case, you would have to actual go through the disconnection process.

Since none of us have more than 3 clients at this point, I don't know if we can expect a definitive answer quite yet.

EDIT: RAD was posting his response; in light of his info, I guess that's the answer. Thanks, RAD!

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#127 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

Has anyone tried using these with two HR34s?

Yes

#128 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

I'm guessing not.

I thought it was initially said ages ago that there would be a maximum of 8 clients that could be tied to any hmc at one time, with only three being active. Of course, we have no way to check as of this moment....

#129 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,178 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

I thought it was initially said ages ago that there would be a maximum of 8 clients that could be tied to any hmc at one time, with only three being active. Of course, we have no way to check as of this moment....

Whether it's 6 or 8 or whatever, you'd be paying for each one, with "active" just being the number of active streams, unless I'm misunderstanding the billing aspects of this.

And it does not appear simple to add/delete them, simple to add but may require a call to delete, thus wouldn't expect you'd want to do this on a regular basis.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#130 OFFLINE   HarryWild

HarryWild

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:36 AM

I am going to buy two C31s and a HR34 together. Don't want the contract of two years!

#131 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:40 AM

I am going to buy two C31s and a HR34 together. Don't want the contract of two years!

You can't purchased a HMC only lease.

It can only stream 3 different streams to clients. 8 clients can be registered to it which would be billed $6 each.

Edited by Shades228, 31 August 2012 - 01:45 AM.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#132 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,065 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:28 AM

Whether it's 6 or 8 or whatever, you'd be paying for each one, with "active" just being the number of active streams, unless I'm misunderstanding the billing aspects of this.

And it does not appear simple to add/delete them, simple to add but may require a call to delete, thus wouldn't expect you'd want to do this on a regular basis.

FWIW a Reset Everything on the HR34 will also delete a particular client(s), maybe something one would do to replace a C31 with an RVU TV, but that's a little severe.
I did it just to get the proper installation sequence down.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#133 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,495 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:16 AM

It can only stream 3 different streams to clients. 8 clients can be registered to it which would be billed $6 each.

Jerry says his is owned, and he mentioned he was considering getting rid of it. So there may be one possibility.

#134 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,961 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:24 AM

So when you attach an RVU client like the C31 to the HR34, its really in there for good until you call DirecTV and they send a signal to remove it?

I guess it stores the mac address of the RVU client in the HR34 so say a C31 breaks or you replace it with an RVU TV... even though your # of active TV's is the same, it won't be able to add it without calling in?

Maybe DirecTV will make it possible via your account page on directv.com just to cut back on phone traffic getting into the support line.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#135 OFFLINE   Button Pusher

Button Pusher

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 971 posts
  • LocationThe Bluegrass State

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:26 AM

Nice job on the first look!
Jeff

My Setup

#136 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:09 AM

That is how I understand it to be also, according to the CSRs I have dealt with over email, and you here on this board.

However, I will once again voice my displeasure in this decision, as I really feel that DirecTV should not be charging any monthly charges for RVU clients 4-8 since you can only use 3 at a time.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#137 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,389 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

It seems kind of Micro$oftian to pay for every device that you could possibly use even if you can only use three simultaneously. Makes the RVU client vs H2x argument a lot more difficult to reconcile since you can always use an H2x.

Good information nonetheless.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#138 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

I disagree. It's common practice to pay for a cable box or receiver whether or not it's on. The fact that you can only use 3 clients concurrently doesn't mean you can't use 8 clients.

What isn't know yet... is what happens when all the tuners are booked and you turn on a C31. Does it go to the playlist?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#139 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

I know,that was my point. I was only talking about how many can be registers, not streamed to it.

#140 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,180 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:07 AM

I disagree. It's common practice to pay for a cable box or receiver whether or not it's on. The fact that you can only use 3 clients concurrently doesn't mean you can't use 8 clients.

What isn't know yet... is what happens when all the tuners are booked and you turn on a C31. Does it go to the playlist?

But why even take you to a playlist, since you can't watch anything at all. Stewart, why haven't you got Three c31 with your Samsung tv to test this for us? :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...