Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV First Look: C31-700 Home Media Center RVU Client

• Please log in to reply
502 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

Cards on the table, I do not have more than 3 RVU clients at this time :)
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#142 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,986 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:15 AM

That is how I understand it to be also, according to the CSRs I have dealt with over email, and you here on this board.

However, I will once again voice my displeasure in this decision, as I really feel that DirecTV should not be charging any monthly charges for RVU clients 4-8 since you can only use 3 at a time.

I disagree. It's common practice to pay for a cable box or receiver whether or not it's on. The fact that you can only use 3 clients concurrently doesn't mean you can't use 8 clients.

Sorry but got to agree wirh Beerstalker on this one, customers shouldn't have to pay, or at least not pay $6/month for clients 4 through 6 IMHO. You cable box argument doesn't really match up because if that 4th through 6th cable boxes were turned on you'd be able to watch whatever cable channel you normally would be able to. Not with the 4th through 6th C31's, maybe you'd be able to watch a recording but I doubt it since you can only have three concurrent output streams from the C31 going at once from what I've seen. If they want to charge for 4 through 6 at least consider a reduced monthly 'accounting' charge for it but not the full $6/month.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#143 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,759 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

However, I will once again voice my displeasure in this decision, as I really feel that DirecTV should not be charging any monthly charges for RVU clients 4-8 since you can only use 3 at a time.

It's certainly not as convenient, and it would require making sure certain coax connections are capped whenever it's done, but the good news is that the C31 is so small, it can be moved from room to room easily... :)

~Alan

#144 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,759 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

I would of thought if anything you paid for the concurrent licensing model. Since only 3 can concurrently be used at a time, you'd pay no more than 3 charges for each RVU client connected.

Instead it sounds like they might associate a charge with each device ID (MAC address, UID or RID or whatever they are calling it).

Not a big fan of that, though I personally wouldn't need more than 4 rooms anyway.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#145 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

It's certainly not as convenient, and it would require making sure certain coax connections are capped whenever it's done, but the good news is that the C31 is so small, it can be moved from room to room easily... :)

~Alan

They needed to make a docking station for it... :)

#146 OFFLINE   Vinny

Vinny

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,094 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

Another fantastic job with the first look.

I can see that this is the direction I should be going once my good old HR20-700 bites the dust.

I would love to replace my HR22-100 with the HR34 and replace the HR20-700 with a C31. Its exactly what I need. No need to have 2 DVRs with a total of 4 tuners when I can have 1 DVR with 5 tuners.

HR34-700(0x00805)|Networked: Yes via Deca hardwired to Actiontec MI424WR (FiOS)| OTA: No | DOD Enabled: Yes |Mediashare: TVersity |
HDTV: Panasonic Plasma TH-50PZ85U connected via Monster HDMI| Home Theater: Onkyo TX-LR552 connected via coax cable. Whole Home: Yes

HR20-700 (0x07EB)
|Networked: Yes via Deca| OTA: No | HDTV: Hitachi Plasma P42H401 connected via HDMI. Whole Home: Yes

AU9 Slimline | SWM|

#147 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:08 PM

...What isn't know yet... is what happens when all the tuners are booked and you turn on a C31. Does it go to the playlist?

Actually, I do know. If 5 recordings are in progress and you turn on a C31, it is tuned to one of the channels being recorded. If you then try to tune to a channel not being recorded, you are given an option to stop one of the recordings in progress or cancel the tuning change request. Of course you can go to the playlist and select a recording.
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#148 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

A setup with 1 HR34 and 3 C31s would eliminate the need for any DECA connection (DECA connected to your router) right? You can just plug the HR34 into your router via ethernet and the C31s via coax (SWM LNB, 4 or 8 port splitter) and get OnDemand content on the HR34 that can be viewed and served from the C31s. No wireless connection kits, no wired connection kits, pretty simple right?

#149 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,059 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

A setup with 1 HR34 and 3 C31s would eliminate the need for any DECA connection (DECA connected to your router) right? You can just plug the HR34 into your router via ethernet and the C31s via coax (SWM LNB, 4 or 8 port splitter) and get OnDemand content on the HR34 that can be viewed and served from the C31s. No wireless connection kits, no wired connection kits, pretty simple right?

Right. :)

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#150 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

I disagree. It's common practice to pay for a cable box or receiver whether or not it's on. The fact that you can only use 3 clients concurrently doesn't mean you can't use 8 clients.

What isn't know yet... is what happens when all the tuners are booked and you turn on a C31. Does it go to the playlist?

Like someone else said, that is nowhere near the same. With 8 cable boxes you could be watching 8 different channels on 8 different TVs at any one time. Just like if you had an HR34 an 8 H25s you could still watch live TV on all 8 H25s at one time if you needed to (while you would still be limited to 3 recordings being streamed. I have no problem with DirecTV charging for all 8 H25s since the programming is still being mirrored to all 8.

With 8 RVU clients you cannot use all 8 at the same time, only 3 at a time. That means you have less functionality, and shouldn't have to pay the same amount.

In my parents case there is absolutely no real advantage to getting the C31 with billing set up this way. They live in an MPEG4 area, so they could get an HR34 and 7 H25s for pretty much the same cost as an HR34 and 7 C31s, and have the same monthly expense with the ability to watch live TV on all 8 TVs (which they don't really need). But it's going to cost DirecTV a lot more money because that means they have to give my parents a SWM 16, H25s instead of C31s, two splitters, different power inserter, more wiring etc instead of a SWM LNB and a normal install. But if it's going to cost my parents the same amount of money an HR34 and 7 H25s makes more sense for them.

If DirecTV only charged $6/month for the first 3 C31s both DirecTV and my parents could save money.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#151 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

That can be done with any setup that has an HR34. AN HR34 and 3 H25s can be set up the same way with the ethernet connected directly to the HR34. The HR34 and all 3 H25s (or H24s) would all have internet connections as well as Whole Home DVR functionality.

DirecTV just doesn't tell the techs that to avoid confusion with the HR24 that can't be set up that way. If you hooked up one HR24 and 3 H25s (or H24s) and hooked up the ethernet connection directly to the HR24 only the HR24 would have an internet connection and Whole Home DVR would no longer work (because the DECA adapter built into the HR24 would shut itself off).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#152 OFFLINE   CurtP

CurtP

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

How is the trick play latency? It was unusable with my Samsung TV - so bad in fact that I went back to autonomous receivers. I'm also curious how the PQ compares between the client and direct connect - there was a noticeable improvement when I went to direct connect, even though the RVU Alliance claims no PQ degradation.

I'm not overly excited about the RVU pricing structure.

#153 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

Much better than the Samsung RVU TV. I have both... trickplay on the C31 is really similar to the way it is on the HR34.

#154 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,059 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

How is the trick play latency? It was unusable with my Samsung TV - so bad in fact that I went back to autonomous receivers. I'm also curious how the PQ compares between the client and direct connect - there was a noticeable improvement when I went to direct connect, even though the RVU Alliance claims no PQ degradation.

PQ is identical, no ifs ands or buts. I've got clients on three TVs that previously had HR2x boxes on them. Same input, same calibrations, no difference in picture.

Trickplay latency in my experience is on par with a pre-HR24 receiver (HR20-23), in my opinion. I have not timed things with a stopwatch to be certain, but it subjectively feels TO ME like watching with a typical DVR. Not as quick as an HR24 but certainly acceptable.

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#155 OFFLINE   canekid

canekid

Legend

• Registered
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

So how do you get one? What if you trade an H25 for the C31? Does it cost more or is there an additional monthly fee?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setup: HR34-700 - Samsung 48" 1080p / HR20-700 - HTPC Slave & DVR Server / H25-100 - Westinghouse 37" 1080p
Notes:Yes I have a Samsung TV. When it quits, I will buy Sony instead

#156 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

I think there will be a $6 fee for the C31, but you don't have a mirroring fee like you do for a regular receiver.

#157 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,759 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

I think there will be a $6 fee for the C31, but you don't have a mirroring fee like you do for a regular receiver.

I thought the $6 was the mirroring fee?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#158 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

The fee for an RVU client isn't called a mirroring fee.

#159 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,759 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

Instant Replay still needs a little adjusting to get it comparable to what we have on the HRxx STBs, but I suspect that might be an easy fix in the future.

PQ on channels is identical to my eyes... and I have VERY critical eyes, so take that for what it's worth.

The poster art is fuzzier for some strange reason though... :grin:

Technically, they changed the name to "Additional TV" fees for other receivers.

~Alan

#160 OFFLINE   LoweBoy

LoweBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

I am not clear on this but maybe it is too early to ask this but..... If I were to purchase two C31's and only activate a single client on my account will be able to have them at different locations and only use one at a time with a single client charge?
LoweBoy
1 HR34-700 -- Pioneer VSX-1021 -- Samsung 55" B8k
1 HR24-500 -- Samsung 46" C8k
1 HR20-100 -- Vizio 32"
1 H25-700-- Vizio 32"
1 H25-500-- Samsung 40"

nomad & MRV all self installed
iPads & iPhones & AppleTV

spam firewall