Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34: Version 0x0582 Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Paul E

Paul E

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:48 AM

I've been having this very irritating and FREQUENT problem.... I can recreate it almost daily. I record an early morning news show, and darn near EVERY DAY, it won't play! When I select the recorded show, I get a screenshot of what was on the live feed when I hit 'play' and the progress bar is going, and going, and going. It looks like it's fast forwarding all the time, since the 'time' indicator is moving fairly quickly. But the icon in the progress bar changes when you attempt to ff or rew, giving the impression that something is working. No matter what you do, it still shows that 'live' screenshot, and never changes! I can switch back to live tv, which works fine. I can go back to watch that recording, and it'll do the same thing again.

I've rebooted a few times, and that does seem to help for 2-3 days. But I shouldn't have to reboot that often! I've also deleted the season pass for this show and rebuilt it.

Anyone else experiencing this?
-Paul E

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

Two problems:

1) FFx2 is really much much faster than FFx1 and faster than I remember it. Autocorrect doesn't correct enough now. Usually need to skip back 2 or 3 times.

2) Weird recording bug I've never seen before. This may be an infrastructure problem and not the HR34. Using a phone app (Android or iOS, can't remember which I used), I scheduled a series of recordings on a single channel (using the by-channel list). Some of the recordings happened, some didn't, and at least one happened at the right time on the wrong channel. It is possible I screwed up the confirmation on the missing recordings, but I'm at a loss on how the wrong channel recording happened as I only had the desired channel's programs listed.

Edited by gully_foyle, 02 September 2012 - 10:36 AM.

DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#63 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

[quote name='gully_foyle']Two problems:

1) FFx2 is really much much faster than FFx1 and faster than I remember it. Autocorrect doesn't correct enough now. Usually need to skip back 2 or 3 times.QUOTE]

How many times must I say this? We don't want autocorrect!
Sorry, I don't want autocorrect. :nono:
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#64 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

Directv really needs to go back a software or two. This latest one is terrible. I keep getting the following:

1) Searching for signal (771) on channels. My other boxes work just fine, just the 34. NEVER did this before this software upgrade. I'll reset via menu, it will work fine for awhile.. then boom.

2) Put in the channel number and nothing happens. Put it in again, may or may not turn to that channel, or it may just turn to a totally blacked out channel.

Please go back to the previous software. TERRIBLE.

I had a 771 issue a couple of months ago on my HR34. All my others were correct (H25s and HR24s). I even swapped boxes and still had the problem. It was ok for a while then 771 again.

I called Directv and had a tech come over as it was so new and was going to replace the HR34.

It turns out that we did some more tests and the original install was incorrect. The tech must have gotten confused with all the cables/tuners. So we had too many on one splitter, not enough on another and no terminations on some. The splitter degraded causing the 771 issues.

He replaced the splitters put the HR34 on one and the other boxes on the other (so had 5 tuners on each) and terminated the rest. Not had a problem since and it is the original HR34.

So maybe check your cabling/splitters/SWiM and terminations just in case.
HR34-700, HR24-100, 3x H25-100s, MRV on DECA, SWM16

#65 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Then there is the awesome feature that forces you to take a break from TV. All of a sudden the Whole Home connection to from the HR34 goes belly up. If you are watching on the alternate box then you are forced to wait a while until the thing goes to Whole Home again. So watching HR24 recordings on the HR34 or vice versa its a crap shoot as to whether the whole program will play before the forced time out takes place.

I have HR34 and HR24s and H25s all streaming MRV via WHDVR and never had an issue (except on the very first software of the HR34).

Dropouts like that would seem to indicate a loss of signal through the WHDVR network. I would check your power supply and DECA. And splitters etc.

Sounds more like a hardware/infrastructure issue to me.
HR34-700, HR24-100, 3x H25-100s, MRV on DECA, SWM16

#66 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

I have HR34 and HR24s and H25s all streaming MRV via WHDVR and never had an issue (except on the very first software of the HR34).

Dropouts like that would seem to indicate a loss of signal through the WHDVR network. I would check your power supply and DECA. And splitters etc.

Sounds more like a hardware/infrastructure issue to me.

The problem with that theory, F1 Fan, is that I have the exact same issue and it's relatively new. It didn't exist for the first several months of having the HR34. It only came recently. And it only affects the HR34.

Occam's Razor says that it isn't an infrastructure issue at all, but that some software change to the HR34 is causing this problem for some number of people.

#67 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,776 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

Sorry, I don't want autocorrect. :nono:

It's been a feature for years now, a highly requested one, so I don't see it going away.

You're the first person that I can remember saying they didn't want it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#68 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,353 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

[quote name='I WANT MORE'][quote name='gully_foyle']Two problems:

1) FFx2 is really much much faster than FFx1 and faster than I remember it. Autocorrect doesn't correct enough now. Usually need to skip back 2 or 3 times.QUOTE]

Sorry, I don't want autocorrect. :nono:[/QUOTE]

Try pressing the rewind button 2 times and it will drop to Play and it will not autocorrect.

Edited by jimmie57, 02 September 2012 - 05:46 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#69 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

It's been a feature for years now, a highly requested one, so I don't see it going away.

You're the first person that I can remember saying they didn't want it.

Not the first nor the only.
Autocorrect make it virtually impossible to sync the video with audio from another source such as Sirius. I do this with sports PxP all the time. Watch the game while listening to the home radio broadcast.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#70 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

Autocorrect make it virtually impossible to sync the video with audio from another source such as Sirius. I do this with sports PxP all the time. Watch the game while listening to the home radio broadcast.

You have to realize how rare you are by doing...auto correct has a much broader appeal. I'm not knocking what you're doing. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#71 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,776 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:45 PM

Syncing with an outside audio source is nearly impossible with or without autocorrect. One of them is on a delay or if both are on delay one has a longer delay. You couldn't maintain sync even if you didn't FF.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#72 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

Syncing with an outside audio source is nearly impossible with or without autocorrect. One of them is on a delay or if both are on delay one has a longer delay. You couldn't maintain sync even if you didn't FF.

Not true. I've been doing it for years. Sirius is "always" behind the TV. "always".
Without auto correct it is a simple process. Pause the tv until the ball is kicked off and that's it.
With auto correct the damn thing jumps back a few clicks and it becomes a PIA to get them synced.
That's all I'm saying.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#73 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,776 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

Not true. I've been doing it for years. Sirius is "always" behind the TV. "always".
Without auto correct it is a simple process. Pause the tv until the ball is kicked off and that's it.
With auto correct the damn thing jumps back a few clicks and it becomes a PIA to get them synced.
That's all I'm saying.

But autocorrect isn't on pause, it's only on FF and maybe RW. I'm not sure about RW. With FF the amount of autocorrect depends on the speed of the FF too. If you use 1X FF there is no autocorrect.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#74 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

If you press pause and wait for Sirius to catch up then press play or pause again the HR24 jumps back a few clicks. I don't believe the HR34 does this and I hope they don't change it.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

#75 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

Got my HR34 on 8/18 and it loaded 057c software.

The only problem I had initially was the unit kept dropping network connection and my other DVR's wouldn't see it in MRV mode.
I switched the HR34 IP address to static and rebooted the other units and MRV has worked perfectly since.

Running 57c my HR34 has worked flawlessly for a whole week, ha ha...

Last night (running 0582 software) when I finished a recording and selected delete the box sat there for a couple of minutes before deleting the recording and when it finally deleted the PIG window was all black.
After exiting out of the playlist there was no video output at all, the channel banner would show up when changing channels but no video, OTA and DTV channels.

Any recording would output video and any channel that was recording would show live TV everything else black.

Did a menu reboot and all returned to normal.

J C

After the above snafu I figured it's about time to do a report on my new HR34.
Is this just me or is this normal?

1. When I put the HR34 in standby the power light on the AM21 remains on. The AM21 was previously connected to an HR21 and the power light went off every time the box was put in standby.

2. When I watch MLB games I put the games I want to watch in a custom menu and when they go to commercial I channel up th the next game.
Occasionally when I channel up the HR34 gets confused, it will blink the channel banner and the progress bar then a black screen. I channel down then back up and all is ok, it may not repeat for a very long time and at other times it is more frequent.

3. When switching between PIP the screen will blink and flash and then switch displays. It always switches but doesn't do it very gracefully. Is this normal?

Thanks J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#76 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,776 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

If you press pause and wait for Sirius to catch up then press play or pause again the HR24 jumps back a few clicks. I don't believe the HR34 does this and I hope they don't change it.

My HR24 doesn't do that, neither do my HR21's.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#77 OFFLINE   mkertzman

mkertzman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:13 PM

I'm experiencing this exact problem, almost always on programs recorded from MSNBC.

I've been having this very irritating and FREQUENT problem.... I can recreate it almost daily. I record an early morning news show, and darn near EVERY DAY, it won't play! When I select the recorded show, I get a screenshot of what was on the live feed when I hit 'play' and the progress bar is going, and going, and going. It looks like it's fast forwarding all the time, since the 'time' indicator is moving fairly quickly. But the icon in the progress bar changes when you attempt to ff or rew, giving the impression that something is working. No matter what you do, it still shows that 'live' screenshot, and never changes! I can switch back to live tv, which works fine. I can go back to watch that recording, and it'll do the same thing again.

I've rebooted a few times, and that does seem to help for 2-3 days. But I shouldn't have to reboot that often! I've also deleted the season pass for this show and rebuilt it.

Anyone else experiencing this?

#78 OFFLINE   larry55

larry55

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 04:54 AM

no problems here.

#79 OFFLINE   snappjay

snappjay

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

Here's what I mean:

This 3/4 white screen issue is very annoying. It seems to happen going from HD to SD (in our household, we always jump between Baby First TV and Disney JR). Going from SD to HD doesn't have any issues, but going from HD to SD always seems to cause the 3/4 white screen....
TV Vizio VF551XVT
Remote Logitech Harmony 900
Service DirecTV Choice Xtra Classic
Receivers HR-34/700

#80 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

The problem with that theory, F1 Fan, is that I have the exact same issue and it's relatively new. It didn't exist for the first several months of having the HR34. It only came recently. And it only affects the HR34.

Occam's Razor says that it isn't an infrastructure issue at all, but that some software change to the HR34 is causing this problem for some number of people.

I will add that my HR34 was swapped out today.

My technician -- one of the specialty techs who goes to homes for the more challenging problems -- said my installation, cabling, etc. was fine. Within hours, my new HR34 was dropping off the Whole Home network just like the old one.

spam firewall