Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34: Version 0x0582 Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   y2k02c5

y2k02c5

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

Tough call! :) I just got a '34 and really like it. My other DVR is a '24, which I also like. I'd lean towards the five tuner model and bigger HDD.

This really should have been posted in a new thread, but since you asked. In my opinion, its a no-brainer, get the HR34. As mentioned, 5 tuners, twice the storage, plus 2x's the series recordings and PIP. Nothing like being able to record 4 different programs simultaneously and still have an open tuner to watch live TV.

Aside from size and a couple minor glitches, the only downside is that it won't hold the program buffer after you turn it off. So you have to leave it on to buffer the current channel, after you shut your TV off. Although leaving it on, only means the front panel stays lit, unless you dim the panel.

And the RF function works great!

Thanks Guys. Appreciate the feedback. Glad to hear the RF works great. I'm going to have this in a rack behind the seating area and needed to ensure the RF worked.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   CliffV

CliffV

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

My HR34 froze last night for a half hour. We had just finished watching a show and deleted it. The screen started to show the Program List, but froze after displaying the background and no text. The PIL properly showed the current show. The remote and front panel were totally unresponsive. The red record light was on, so we didn't want to RBR.

We had shows to watch on another DVR, so we did that. When we went back to the HR-34, it was unfrozen. However, when we went to the Program List, the two shows that had been recording were interrupted. Both shows were only 17 minutes long AND a new show by the same name started 46 minutes into the show. It was as though the machine had been powered off for 30 minutes.

This is the same problem I reported here: http://www.dbstalk.c...oot#post3085509

Has anyone else seen similar behaviour?

#123 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

Has anyone else seen similar behaviour? asks CliffV just above. Yes, the same thing has happened to me twice with my particular HR34, the second time just yesterday. I only gave the HR34 fifteen minutes to recover on its own, but to no avail. Reboot, but for reasons unbeknownst to me, the Guide was fully restored immediately.

Edited by jibberyerkibber, 16 September 2012 - 06:22 AM.
spelling

#124 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:36 AM

I made two one minute PARTIAL recordings yesterday. Both of them failed. By that I mean when I tried to play them back, they both (always) started 30 seconds after the point where I originally pressed RECORD. When I used the BACK ARROW to rewind to the theoretical beginning of the saved videos, the video only rewound to 15 seconds to a point 15 seconds after where I pressed RECORD, i.e. not nearly all the way to where I pressed RECORD. The first 15 seconds of each video were never recorded. Also, when I press PLAY with each of these truncated videos, I get a 3 second freeze frame of the real-time tuner picture that's on the screen before the video will start.

Edited by jibberyerkibber, 17 September 2012 - 05:49 AM.
fix something

#125 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

This latest downgrade has a new glitch. Recordings played on the HR34 have proper sound. Playing some recordings on the HR24 and the sound is there but down to a very low level that is unintelligible. If I crank up the receiver to hear the audio, then when some commercials come on the sound is so loud it will break your eardrums. So now we really don't have two way whole home.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#126 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 282 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

1. With all five tuners set to record NFL ST games and watching local Fox OTA channel. A couple of minutes before noon the standard message "This reciever needs to switch to channel 705 to record Colts etc...."

It gave the prompt "OK to record" or "Don't record".
When I selected "OK to record" the box would clear and then pop back on in a few seconds, never would clear. Then at 12:00 it changed channel as expected.

My experience with other HRxx recorders the box would clear after selection was made.

2. Another wierd one, when I tune to a NFL ST channel that is carried by the local OTA station the standard "This game is Blacked out" message would blink on and off a few times alternating with the progress bar then a black screen.

On other HRxx boxes it stays on and offers the option to search for a channel that is not blacked out.

Not a show stopper but annoying. Everything else worked great.

Really like the HR34........

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-100 AM21N
HR21-200

#127 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:06 PM

NDS has zero to do with any of the hd boxes. Zero.

Gee what year is this?

... DirecTV using DVR technology from NDS Group PLC., a unit of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., which is a former DirecTV shareholder. Late last year DirecTV extended its contract with NDS to 2013.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#128 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

... DirecTV using DVR technology from NDS Group PLC., a unit of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp., which is a former DirecTV shareholder. Late last year DirecTV extended its contract with NDS to 2013.

For SD boxes, not HD. NDS has nothing to do with the H or HR series receivers.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#129 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,899 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:57 PM

I think they do handle certain parts, like the security software and local ad insertion.

But I thought they handled more of the H20 than the other HD boxes or the R22.

#130 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

But I thought they handled more of the H20 than the other HD boxes or the R22.

I forgot about the H20 still being NDS, you're right. Basic rule of thumb... If it has the old blue GUI it's NDS, if it has the new HD GUI it's DirecTV.

And no, I'm not saying that DirecTV only made the H/HR's "in house" when they went to the HD GUI. That's just how you tell them apart now.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#131 OFFLINE   EyeRonik1

EyeRonik1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:56 PM

The HR34 hangs consistently when I try to record 8-hour+ programs, with an extra hour tacked on because it's live. I have Smart Search auto-recordings for the US Open, Wimbledon and the French Open, and most days when recording the early rounds, the HR34 would freeze. No recordings happen; the machine turns on and shows live TV and recordings but does not record anything new. A menu restart solves the problem.

(Speculation: The HR34 calculates space remaining and deletes expired shows when a show starts, but if several programs fill up the available space in the meantime the recording processes fail catastrophically. Just a guess...)

#132 OFFLINE   BigFoot48

BigFoot48

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

We've had our HR34 since Feb and believe this problem started with the last update. We have it hooked up to the den TV via component (3' cable) and to the bedroom set (on the other side of the wall) via HDMI (18' cable).

Since the update, about half the time when we turn on the bedroom TV, either with its switch or via the DTV remote, the den TV immediately goes blue screen with the Vizio message "Signal Not Found". When acting normally like it did for six months, the den TV picture merely blinks momentarily and continues showing whatever was being watched when the other TV is turned on cable

The only way I've found to restart the signal to the den TV is to do a RBR. So, why is turning on the bedroom TV causing the HR34 to stop sending the component cables signal?

UPDATE: A friend recommended changing to a different HDMI port on the bedroom TV. I did that and it may have fixed my problem, but its only been tested about six times over three days now so I can't be sure if it's fixed for good as this was a seemly random problem that was becoming more frequent.

Edited by BigFoot48, 20 September 2012 - 07:44 AM.

DTV since 1998. HR-34 since Feb 2012.

#133 OFFLINE   Golfman

Golfman

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts
  • LocationReston, VA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

What is the Series Link limit for the HR34-700 running on 0x583?

HR34-700, AM21, Samsung PN64E550 OnkyoTX-NR515 receiver 5.1 surround FIOS 50/25 high speed Internet
HR21-100,Fantom 2TB eSATA Toshiba 32AFX62, SWM, DECA, Whole Home
AT9-5LNB

#134 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,883 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

We were gone for part of last week and the weekend, so when I got home last night I looked at my ToDo list to see if any more new shows had populated my ToDo list. When I left it was at around 45 shows.

Well, wasn't I surprised when it was at 15. WTH? So I went looking at the Guide and sure enough several shows no longer showed the R icon. All of Monday's shows were Ok, but Tuesday had some missing, so in the Guide when I hit the Rec button once, it immediately displayed the Series Link R icon. So at that point it knew it was a SL and needed to be flagged as such.

This morning, I was back up to 48 shows to record. Anyone else seeing this?

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#135 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,003 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

What is the Series Link limit for the HR34-700 running on 0x583?

It's been 100 since it was released, and hasn't changed, unfortunately.

#136 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,003 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

We were gone for part of last week and the weekend, so when I got home last night I looked at my ToDo list to see if any more new shows had populated my ToDo list. When I left it was at around 45 shows.

Well, wasn't I surprised when it was at 15. WTH? So I went looking at the Guide and sure enough several shows no longer showed the R icon. All of Monday's shows were Ok, but Tuesday had some missing, so in the Guide when I hit the Rec button once, it immediately displayed the Series Link R icon. So at that point it knew it was a SL and needed to be flagged as such.

This morning, I was back up to 48 shows to record. Anyone else seeing this?

No but, I bet it'd record your shows either way. Could be a guide data thing. Some shows are starting this week, but not many. When did you get your HR34 and when did you set up these series links?

#137 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,883 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

When did you get your HR34 and when did you set up these series links?

December. Most were setup last year, but a couple when the new shows appeared in the guide.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#138 OFFLINE   Paul E

Paul E

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:16 AM

I've been having this very irritating and FREQUENT problem.... I can recreate it almost daily. I record an early morning news show, and darn near EVERY DAY, it won't play! When I select the recorded show, I get a screenshot of what was on the live feed when I hit 'play' and the progress bar is going, and going, and going. It looks like it's fast forwarding all the time, since the 'time' indicator is moving fairly quickly. But the icon in the progress bar changes when you attempt to ff or rew, giving the impression that something is working.

I discovered a work around for this problem.... if I leave the DVR set to a channel other than the channel I'm recording overnight, it records just fine! (example, recording ABC news, set DVR on CNN). It's been working great for the last week!

Hope this helps other's who are suffering with this bug.
-Paul E

#139 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

Not sure why I'm still on this release, but I'm not sure I want to risk a reboot and get the genie either. Last night's recording of The Amazing Race, which I have set for 2hrs because of football overuns recorded nothing. All I got was a frozen picture of whatever was on the screen when I hit play, and the scroll bar advancing throughout the 2hr time period. I also had 0 mins recorded for The Mentalist, while 2episodes of Once Upon a Time, Revenge, 666, and Copper all appear to have recorded with no issues. I luckily had both non-recording episodes set-up to record on the HR20, which recorded them just fine. Today, I came home and found a frozen screenshot of the Today show which I believe was from the final hour being shown @ 1pm on KSHB now (it was 3:45 at the time). Punching in 41, brought up the channel banner, but returned back to the frozen screenshot. I started playing something from my playlist, and hit exit, which brought back live TV on ch41. I currently have 27% freespace.
HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

spam firewall