Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Lance Armstrong banned for life,stripped of 7 Tour wins.

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,188 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

I agree. It sounds like he strongly believed Lance was deeply involved in an extensive doping program and wanted to pursue Lance to get enough proof to convincingly nail him.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

Considering how he poorly managed his charity, how he used it, IMHO, to advance his fraudulent career (sure, a few folks might have been helped, but that was probably more so by accident), I can't agree that any good he did, of which there was little, made any difference.

I personally know of 2 hospitals that received funds from his charity, and gratefully so. Many people were helped by those contributions.

You could not be more wrong about those moneys failing to do good, or doing so "by accident".

That's not meant to (in any way) condone his bad decisions and actions...rather...it's to take a more realistic perspective in contrast to a cynical view.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#63 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,188 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

You could not be more wrong about those moneys failing to do good, or doing so "by accident".

I never said that. You misinterpreted what I said.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#64 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

I never said that. You misinterpreted what I said.

Considering how he poorly managed his charity, how he used it, IMHO, to advance his fraudulent career (sure, a few folks might have been helped, but that was probably more so by accident), I can't agree that any good he did, of which there was little, made any difference.

That post speaks for itself...nothing to misinterpret.

#65 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,188 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

Sorry, but it's clear that you misinterpreted my post. Any good that he did made little difference; he's guilty. If a murderer saves 100 children, does that lessen his crimes of killing 10? All of Lance's charity work is irrelevant; it has no impact upon his cheating.

#66 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

Sorry, but it's clear that you misinterpreted my post. Any good that he did made little difference; he's guilty. If a murderer saves 100 children, does that lessen his crimes of killing 10? All of Lance's charity work is irrelevant; it has no impact upon his cheating.

Then why didn't you say that? Instead, you claimed that the charity had been ineffective and poorly managed.
DTV = Digital Television

#67 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,188 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

It was. You simply misconstrued my post to mean his "good" actions didn't affect the charity. I meant that his good actions have had no effect on his cheating, his lying, his entire reputation. Perhaps the original post was a wee bit ambiguous. ;)

#68 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:19 AM

Your original post, as well as this one...is easy to understand. You basically are saying in this 2nd post that no matter what he did that could be construed as a positive thing, it doesn't matter to you because of his actions toward doping. That's different than your statement in the 1st post, but appreicate the clarity to your view.

All that said - respectfully disagree.

There may not be any positive value in terms of how people perceive him overall in the context of his negative actions...but there is plenty of positive and lasting impact of how the recipients gained from the positive charity activities he performed.

Looking at the big picture - the glass is not half empty here, nor half full...it's completely full - part negative and part positive.

Just ask the cancer patients and others who have better lives because the funds were there to treat them, regardless of what happens to Lance at this point. At one hospital alone, there were literally hundreds of beneficiaries.

Unfortunately he made some very foolish choices that now pretty much prevent him from continuing the positive activities.

#69 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

I get where Vader is coming from, though...

Say there is a serial killer (to go to an extreme)... but he is also a philanthropist... so he kills by night BUT by day he contributes to a charity that does good work.

The charity doesn't mitigate his serial killing does it? He isn't a "good" guy because he also helps, right?

And the charity... even if no fault of their own... kind of gets associated with the serial killer and it taints them a bit.

That's all I think Vader is saying.

Lance isn't helped by his charity work, because the bad he has done personally outweighs any good he has done... From the charity's perspective, even if they were good and didn't know about Lance, they still carry a bit of that negative with them going forward because of being associated... whether fair or not.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#70 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,188 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

I get where Vader is coming from, though...

That's all I think Vader is saying.

Lance isn't helped by his charity work, because the bad he has done personally outweighs any good he has done... From the charity's perspective, even if they were good and didn't know about Lance, they still carry a bit of that negative with them going forward because of being associated... whether fair or not.

You are correct. A good reiteration of what I was trying to get across.

#71 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Your summation certainly is concise - no disagreement to it.

My issue with a previous post was the clear inference that the good stuff had no value just because it was initiated by Lance. Thanks for your rendition.

#72 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,188 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Your summation certainly is concise - no disagreement to it.

My issue with a previous post was the clear inference that the good stuff had no value just because it was initiated by Lance. Thanks for your rendition.

Except that the inference wasn't clear. :raspberry

#73 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

Except that the inference wasn't clear. :raspberry

It was quite clear to the 3 people who read it and told me that they came to the exact same "mis-interpretation". :eek2:

So we can now move on.

#74 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,188 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Hey! I can't help it they couldn't understand what they're reading. What about the 4 people who told ME they understood things perfectly. :P

Protected By... spam firewall...And...