Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV messed up my order and now I have to wait 2 more weeks

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

Who did you order service through? Website, calling D* directly, telco, retail location (Best Buy, Costco, etc)?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:34 AM

Isn't that something? We can't do without our tv, and that includes me. What did we do before TV?

To be fair to you and the rest of us..... this is a forum for "enthusiasts", not a forum for "occasionally watch TV, don't really care..." :hurah:

#23 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

To be fair to you and the rest of us..... this is a forum for "enthusiasts", not a forum for "occasionally watch TV, don't really care..." :hurah:

I missed that part in the rules, you have a link?

#24 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 836 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

The exact same thing happened to me. I was told the installer changed the appointment for no reason. I told he did it to attend the Miami Heat parade.

I got DIRECTV to finish the HMC install the next day at my connivence and not what they had available 4 days later AND I got a $150 credit for the issue.

#25 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,315 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

The entire thing is that DirecTV messed up my order, and I am having to wait. There is no earlier appointment other than 9/9. The credit to the account is great, however, it does not ease the pain of no TV due to the mess up on DirecTV part. Just seems that since they admit it was a mistake on them they would have better ways to resolve this. So, now I have no TV for 2 more weeks....missing more shows, games, etc.

Finding a local installer to do it means I pay, and I should not have to since I did not mess up my order. I know this is an option, but not one I should be punished for.

Have you logged into your account to see if there is an earlier date available? I'm pretty sure this happened to me back in 2008 and they told me the same thing. I logged in online and changed it myself. Let us know.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#26 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:09 AM

I was able to call the national phone number of the company actually doing the installation which was Ironwood at the time and they got me a much earlier appointment. They were nice about it and knew what I wanted right away without me even asking. They must get called frequently for this.

#27 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

AS Steve Martin would say, " Excuuuuuuse meeee".:)

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#28 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

I'm pretty sure all are welcome, life would be pretty boring if we all agreed and thought alike.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#29 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

Isn't that something? We can't do without our tv, and that includes me. What did we do before TV? I remember my parents would visit friends or have friends come over. When I was a teenager, we spent a lot of time outside hanging out with friends. Today, I'm lost without my tv. We have multiple tv's and DVR's. I even have Netflix to fill in the times when there is not anything, on any of the bunch of channels I pay for with D*, or recorded, that I care to watch.

I missed that part in the rules, you have a link?

AS Steve Martin would say, " Excuuuuuuse meeee".:)

I'm pretty sure all are welcome, life would be pretty boring if we all agreed and thought alike.

I think maybe tampa8's response was misunderstood. I didn't read it as saying only "enthusiasts" could post here. I read it as an explanation as to why people on this board can't live without their TV.

#30 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:50 AM

Maybe I'm daft but I don't get it.

If I understand your post correctly, fieldsg22, it was an order entry error that caused the problem. In other words, human error. It wasn't maliciousness or laziness that caused your appointment to be canceled. I could get upset over that. But somehow human beings being human beings makes it easier for me to accept the situation. I realize this is just me. You might be different in this regard.

For that mistake, DirecTV has offered you a credit. While I may well have missed the size of the credit, you seem to be OK with the amount offered.

Beyond that, you have mentioned two options. Other posters have mentioned a third idea. I see a fourth one.

1) You accept the credit and take the install in two weeks. If there are truly no other appointments available between now and then, that's what you have to do. I don't see the issue here. If you want DirecTV, and you think the credit they offered for the mistake is fair, then what's the problem?

2) If you don't want to wait for DirecTV, then go to another service provider. It sounds like you could get an installation much sooner from someone else. It isn't like you don't have a choice here. And it is just TV. I'd especially consider this option if the other provider doesn't have a commitment. Use them simply as a stop gap provider if you need TV for the next two weeks. Me, I'd go without TV for a couple of weeks and use this opportunity as a chance to read those books I haven't gotten around to yet. If I really want to see a sporting event, which would be about all I'd truly miss seeing, I'd go to a sports bar for the game.

3) I agree with other posters in that you should game the system to see if there really isn't an open date for installation in the next two weeks. If nothing shows up online, I'd call them every morning over your cup of coffee to see if something has popped up.

4) I'd push DirecTV to give you the name of the installation firm so you can contact them directly to be put on a waiting list in case there is a cancellation. DirecTV used to give out the name and phone numbers of their installers relatively easily. My experience is that they don't do that anymore. I'd push them to give you this information. The suggestion of sending an email to ellenfilipiak@directv.com about your situation could shake loose this phone number and get you an installation sooner.

Again, I may just be dumb but this problem is equivalent to my going to the best car mechanic in my town. To have Pete Conway's shop work on my car means a two week wait. If an appointment I'd set up somehow got screwed up and I had to wait an additional two weeks to have my car worked on, then I'd wait (This is assuming the problem I have with my car could wait two weeks in the first place. If it could wait two weeks, it could wait four.) If either I don't want to or can't wait two weeks then I would take my car to a different mechanic. You seem to have the same options.

EDIT: Thinking about it more, there is a fifth option, and one that I understand completely. You simply wanted to blow off some steam, complaining here that DirecTV made a mistake with your appointment and you'll be without TV for two more weeks. That is a perfectly acceptable and standard use for DBSTalk. Please do that any time you want. Ignore blowhards like me. Welcome to the forum, fieldsg22. :)

Edited by Carl Spock, 26 August 2012 - 12:05 PM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#31 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

I think the big thing here is DirecTV's system really needs to be fixed. They shouldn't have to completely delete/cancel an order in order to fix a mistake with the order. If there is no way around having to do that then they need to put something in place so they can hold the original appointment time slot open until they can get the new order set up and assigned to the same time slot. You shouldn't be able to lose your time slot because they need to fix something they screwed up.

Also nobody should be able to cancel/reschedule an appointment without the consent of the account owner on record allowing it to happen.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#32 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

I can understand the frustration that the OP's order was messed up, and that his install date was moved back. My install date was a day late, because the installer"s vehicle had broken down, and that upset me. I didn't make a big deal and just rolled with it. However, some of you are justifying the error by saying that mistakes are made.

I learned a long time ago, that it's not so much what the error is, but how fast you can recover from it. In this case, D* didn't do very well in trying to recover from the error.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#33 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:37 AM

I really hope they will end up crediting you fieldsg22 .. YOU WERE W/O SERVICE!!

Makes me mad........... GOOD LUCK BUDDY :)

#34 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,562 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

Don't be mad! Or sad!

It looks like a drive by sham. OP hasn't responded to requests for info. It looks dodgy at best.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#35 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

I really hope they will end up crediting you fieldsg22 .. YOU WERE W/O SERVICE!!

Makes me mad........... GOOD LUCK BUDDY :)

A two week old post in an inactive thread on an Internet forum from a stranger you call buddy makes you mad...

Dude111, if I was you, this morning I'd be setting up an appointment with my doctor to discuss my upcoming heart disease.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#36 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

He'll get a few calls from Directv's installers saying they've had a cancellation and can move up the install date sooner. I got that a few times when I first re-upped in May 2010 but declined due to my personal schedule. I will say the wait was worth it as I was treated to a nice lawn-chair view of the Directv installer almost slipping off the roof and dropping his electric drill which slid off the roof onto the top of a plexiglass table below.

spam firewall