Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Apple vs Samsung trial

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,295 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:35 PM

The verdict is in, surprisingly, just waiting for it to be read. Word is the jury has never asked for any clarifications or re-reading of testimony. They had to go through 700 individual decisions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

Big win for Apple, not that they really need another billion bucks. ;)

So is there an appeal process for something like this or is it finally over with?

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,295 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

I don't think this is the end of the road. But I think Samsung also just lost in South Korea. Correction, they infringed on each others patents.

Of course Motorola is now suing Apple.

#4 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

Epic fail of the jury. At the very least it should have been a mutually assured destruction scenario; I find it unbelievable that the double tap to zoom and pinch to zoom patents were upheld.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#5 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:26 PM

http://news.yahoo.co...61--sector.html

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,295 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

Epic fail of the jury. At the very least it should have been a mutually assured destruction scenario; I find it unbelievable that the double tap to zoom and pinch to zoom patents were upheld.

The patent system, particularly when it comes to software patents, is very broken.

#7 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:48 PM

Seems to me the jury already had their mind made up. What a shame...
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#8 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

Seems to me the jury already had their mind made up. What a shame...

The jury had to fill out questionaires not really give a verdict. However it's been reported many times that Samsungs legal team was not very good at speaking to the jury and trying to convince them about the facts. I think that Samsung was prepping more for the appellate courts than it was for the jury.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#9 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

I just got a Samsung Galaxy Note phone yesterday. Does that mean that all the apps, via android, won't work in the future? I guess I should've got the i-Phone4s instead, oh well........Here's a link talking about the ramifications of the verdict.....

http://money.cnn.com...dict/index.html

Edited by texasmoose, 24 August 2012 - 11:08 PM.

HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#10 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:37 AM

Here is a list posted over @ CNET of Samsung's infringing devices:

http://reviews.cnet....7-10013506.html
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#11 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:58 AM

Big win for Apple, not that they really need another billion bucks. ;)

So is there an appeal process for something like this or is it finally over with?

did you expect anything else but Apple to win? After all people venerate that company and offer tithes to the grand altar of Apple. Not even sure why they had the court decision, apple was going to win by default of their greatness

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,295 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:37 AM

But, did the jury have the ability to say that the Apple patents were invalid? Apple does have the patent for pinch and zoom as an example. Whether they should have been able to get that patent is a valid argument, but they do.

Software patents are the issue, not Apple. There is a company that has been suing coffee shops and other businesses for offering wifi, because they claim wifi infringes on their patents. We've had companies sue for infringement of patents they hold, but the patent holder doesn't actually have any products of their own. Their business model basically is to sue or scare companies to license their patents. Some of them aren't even things they invented, just patents they bought.

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,928 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

did you expect anything else but Apple to win? After all people venerate that company and offer tithes to the grand altar of Apple. Not even sure why they had the court decision, apple was going to win by default of their greatness

Veneration has nothing to do with the verdict.

Do you have some reason to loathe Apple? Have any products of theirs?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#14 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:36 AM

Geez, I'm surprised at all the anger. Apple had some great ideas, which they want to charge a premium for. Samsung needs to either come up with their own ideas or pay the price. That's why the patent office exists. I don't hear anyone complaining when Pfizer charges $50 a bottle for some new anti-depressant that can't be turned into a generic for years. Like it or not, that's how our country works.

#15 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,005 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

Geez, I'm surprised at all the anger. Apple had some great ideas, which they want to charge a premium for.

Here's are some contrasting perspectives on that topic:

http://techrealist.wordpress.com/
http://www.transform...ifications.html
http://www.npr.org/b...tphone-industry

Samsung needs to either come up with their own ideas or pay the price. That's why the patent office exists. I don't hear anyone complaining when Pfizer charges $50 a bottle for some new anti-depressant that can't be turned into a generic for years. Like it or not, that's how our country works.

I guess so.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#16 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:52 AM

Veneration has nothing to do with the verdict.

Do you have some reason to loathe Apple? Have any products of theirs?

I have mostly all of their products, and IMO, this "win" is a huge loss for consumers. Without Samsung and Google, you don't have notifications on your iPhone right now and don't have built in nav coming with ios6.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#17 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,928 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

I have mostly all of their products, and IMO, this "win" is a huge loss for consumers. Without Samsung and Google, you don't have notifications on your iPhone right now and don't have built in nav coming with ios6.

I agree that products will cost more due to this verdict. I was inquiring about the vehement bitterness expressed by a few, not you that I've seen.

Not clear on notifications- do you mean the popups?, and while iPhones have employed Google maps in their app, is that really a part of the litigation? Wasn't that done by agreement? And isn't Apple putting in their own mapping systems and database?

#18 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

Posted Image

Nah, Samsung didn't copy anything. :rolleyes:
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#19 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

My guess is much of the loathing for apple stems from direct statements made by Jobs that he fully intended to kill off Android. Since it would be very difficult for Apple to sue Google for damages they have decided to go after the manufacturers that are delivering Android based devices.

This is definitely bad news for the consumer. It will not be the last lawsuit coming from Apple as you can bet preparations are already being made to sue others in the same way. If this is allowed to continue the only competitive options will be triangular shaped phones with mechanical push buttons.

Apple did not invent the rectangle with rounded corners, touch screen interface or even soft icons on a screen. They did not invent the portable mp3 player, cell phone or tablet computer. Saying that the ipod, iphone and ipad are completely new and unique devices not based on any previous technology or idea is completely bogus. If they are allowed to continue the methodical destruction of competition in the marketplace through patent litigation our system is not just broken it is a joke.

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,928 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

Saying that the ipod, iphone and ipad are completely new and unique devices not based on any previous technology or idea is completely bogus. If they are allowed to continue the methodical destruction of competition in the marketplace through patent litigation our system is not just broken it is a joke.

Has Apple or its lawyers made that contention?

Are they methodically destroying competition? No doubt putting a dent in it, but enforcing patents has long been a part of capitalist America, as well as the United Kingdom, perhaps other countries.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...