Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR 34 and CCK

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Pakratt

Pakratt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

Had a fun week with CSR's. Currently out of contract and a 12 year customer. Called and asked for retention to inquire about getting a HR34. Wouldn't budge on a deal so I asked for 2 HR 24's to replace my 2 aging HR20-700's knowing that it was a roll of the dice to actually receive 2 HR 24's via Directtv. She quoted $219.70 for the 2 but quickly came down to $21.70 for shipping only. I specified that I would not accept anything but 2 brand new HR24's or I would send them back. Well, I did not luck out--got 2 HR21-100's. I called Directtv back to inquire on how to return them and during the discussion the CSR offerred me the HR34 for free, $49 to install, and $99 for the CCK. She later removed the $49 install so I got the package for $99 plus tax. I don't want the CCK so I look at it as $99 for the HR34. I tried to talk her out of the CCK but she said that she could not do that. I'm purchasing the HR24 from Solid Signal so I will end up with the HR34 and HR24 which is what I wanted to begin with. Install is this Sunday.

I do not have Whole Home nor do I want the Internet capability so my understanding is that both DVR's will act as separate units. Can I just ask the tech not to install the CCK and that will accomplish that? I do have a SWM8.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Annihilator31

Annihilator31

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

what is cck?
HR20-700 on a Sony XBR Tv
HR24-500 & AM21 on a Sony SXRD Tv
Harmon Kardon AVR-354 Receiver &
Harmon Kardon AVR-48 DVD Player
Viewsat MX-HD to a 120cm FTA motorized dish

PC: Dell XPS 730x 64bit, 12gb of RAM, Intel SSD

Nobody knows what it like for a tech except us tech's! btw Metal Rulez!

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

Cinema Connection Kit, and you don't need it with an HR34 because there is an Ethernet port on the back that acts as a bridge with the built in DECA.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

I just replaced my HR20 with an HR34. Like you, it will complement my HR24. I have a 1.5TB external drive on my 24, coupled with the 1TB in the 34...I think 7 tuners and 2.5TB of storage should be enough!
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#5 OFFLINE   humanjas

humanjas

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

Cinema Connection Kit, and you don't need it with an HR34 because there is an Ethernet port on the back that acts as a bridge with the built in DECA.

I'm getting an HR34 tomorrow, but I already have a CCK connected to my router for the 3 other HR boxes currently in my setup. Is it better to scrap the CCK and use the HR34 or keep the CCK, or does it even matter?

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

I'm getting an HR34 tomorrow, but I already have a CCK connected to my router for the 3 other HR boxes currently in my setup. Is it better to scrap the CCK and use the HR34 or keep the CCK, or does it even matter?

Since I'm still using mine, I go with "doesn't even matter".
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:53 PM

To answer that, I suggest you allow the tech to install the CCK. He will not get his full pay for the install without it. This is done in order to help most people get the best possible service, and you are free to disconnect it after he leaves. It is an owned part and you can do as you wish with it after he goes.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:58 PM

It's going to be easier for him to setup with you not changing anything. But as Stuart says, you can feel free to mess with it after he leaves.
LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, H25, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, H25, Xbox 360.

Bonus: 73" mitsubishi 73742, HR24, SnapAV HDMI balun

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

Go with the CCK. Every time you reboot the HR34 if you're going through it that network connection goes down. With a CCK you don't have to worry about that.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   Pakratt

Pakratt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

I had my HR34 installed today. Tech was great. Even exchanged my other HR20 with a new HR24. I told him that I did not want Whole Home or the CCK installed (My Preference). He was fine with that if that was what I wanted. Now I have a new HR24 coming from Solid Signal so will have to check on cost of returning it. I forgot to mention before that when I ordered the HR34 I also inquired about the no charge for HD and got it extended for 1 year. Happy camper here.

#11 OFFLINE   SolidSignal

SolidSignal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

It's very important you contact us quickly so we can get that taken care of. DIRECTV limits our ability to take back activated receivers.

#12 OFFLINE   heisman6183

heisman6183

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

Are there any magic words to get an HR34? I'm having my H21 upgraded to an HD DVR (no idea what model the tech will have). I accepted the upgrade and the contract extension to get Sunday Ticket Max and I asked about the HR34 and they said no dice, wouldn't even give me a price if I wanted to pay for it. I'm not interested in the full $400 but it sounds like a lot of people are getting a deal on it. I've called a couple times and get the same response. I've been a customer since 2008 and have been out of contract since 2010, until I get my new HD DVR.

#13 OFFLINE   CuriousG

CuriousG

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

Are there any magic words to get an HR34?

I called last week and simply asked, "when does my contract end?". My next question was gong to be, how much will it cost me to cancel my remaining months. The conversation didn't get past the first question, however.

The CSR asked me, very diplomatically, why I was asking about my contract expiration and I laid out why I was going to switch to DISH to get the more advanced equipment for my multi-room installation. He offered me the HR-34 with installation for $199 plus a $20 per month credit for the next six months, and suggested I keep the existing three DVRs so I would have "plenty of recording time". I didn't have to ask for anything. This was the deal he volunteered.

The install was last Saturday, and now I'm trying to figure out how to utilize 11 tuners in a household with two people :eek2:.

#14 OFFLINE   Pakratt

Pakratt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

If you are not happy with the model HDDVR that you receive and have not activated it, you could try calling retention and ask for instructions on sending it back and then use that opportunity to say that what you really would like to have is the HR34 and see what you can do. Good Luck.

#15 OFFLINE   Pakratt

Pakratt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the info Solid Signal. The HR24 that I will have would still be unopened in the original box. I have E-Mailed for info on how to return. Won't even receive the HR24 until 8/29.

#16 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,436 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

I just replaced my HR20 with an HR34. Like you, it will complement my HR24. I have a 1.5TB external drive on my 24, coupled with the 1TB in the 34...I think 7 tuners and 2.5TB of storage should be enough!

Hah! Remember when Bill Gates opined that 256K of RAM* was plenty??
:D

But that's what I am going for.... I am through trying to see a difference between my OTA networks and the DIRECTV® feed.

* It may not have been RAM, and the number may well have been different, but most will get the point. (I expect an immediate correcting jibe!)

Edited by Laxguy, 28 August 2012 - 10:56 AM.
clarity

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#17 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

<snip>I specified that I would not accept anything but 2 brand new HR24's or I would send them back. Well, I did not luck out--got 2 HR21-100's.<snip>

I *think* what you should have done was refuse delivery from the installer (assuming he/she brought the units and they weren't shipped to you). Then you could have rescheduled and perhaps rec'd. the HR24s. Usually the installer's are helpful in this regard and can indicate the possibility of getting certain equipment.

Of course...woulda coulda shoulda...oh well.
HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#18 OFFLINE   Pakratt

Pakratt

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

My order for the HR24's were delivered by UPS. Left on the porch so did not have opportunity to refuse. Understand your comment though....

spam firewall