This little incident has been a learning experience on several levels.
One: Even the most innocuous piece of electronic gear can fail and ignite. So I'm glad that this has inspired many members to double check and even relocate equipment to make a safer environment.
Two: It has illustrated to Directv where the weak link in the CSR chain is. The fact that 5 people whom I talked to (one being a supervisor) never felt that a piece of their equipment catching fire was important enough to alert the higher ups. Hopefully this will change.
Three: That there are people at Directv who take this sort of thing seriously and are willing to go above and beyond to make sure their customers are safe and that the equipment is safe to use. I think Directv has a customer for life.
Four: The fact that the two people who contacted me, including the one flying from LA to go over my setup, became alerted about this by reading it here on DBSTalk just reinforces what we all know about this forum, Directv does read what is posted here (watch it Spock.
) This forum plays no small role in decisions made by Directv. Doug and all who participate here have created an incredible communications tool.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.