Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My Deca unit caught on FIRE!

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,383 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

That would bring DTV to expensive recall - all DECA of the batch must be recalled immediately !

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

It is just a normal connector inside it. Some of the new black ones come loose, so we have to tear off the shrink tube and tighten it up.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#43 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

Just got the call from the installer...he is on his way with two HR24s. I can't be there but Missy knows what to do. Also the installer is not to take the burnt deca.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#44 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,979 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

Wow, I just saw this thread. What a relief that you came home when you did. I'm glad the second person at DirecTV took appropriate action. Perhaps someone here at DBStalk with access to DirecTV can find out who to send the burned DECA to for analysis. Glad your family is OK.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#45 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,920 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

The mods here certainly do have contacts, but if it takes that, then I'd think that's a failure. DirecTV should initiate getting it back to analyze.

I'm glad that I no longer need them.

#46 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

Wow, I just saw this thread. What a relief that you came home when you did. I'm glad the second person at DirecTV took appropriate action. Perhaps someone here at DBStalk with access to DirecTV can find out who to send the burned DECA to for analysis. Glad your family is OK.

I did get a call from Bruce from Directv. They are sending a team out to investigate this. This team may be flying from CA. I'm not sure. I'm keeping the HR20 and the deca for their investigation.
Here is what I don't get, I talked to 5 people between Friday night and Saturday morning, no one seemed to have a heightened concern about one of directv's supplied equipment catching fire. I would think one of the five would have contacted someone higher up.
Bruce said he found out about it by reading my post, perhaps someone here alerted him.
Anyway it has moved up the "fire" ladder, so to speak.

Addendum: I did get a pm requesting my contact info so I could be contacted directly, so there was some Dirctv/DBSTalk communication.
Thank you D.B. for that.

Edited by BubblePuppy, 27 August 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#47 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

Here is what I don't get, I talked to 5 people between Friday night and Saturday morning, no one seemed to have a heightened concern about one of directv's supplied equipment catching fire. I would think one of the five would have contacted someone higher up.

I can't imagine a front line CSR has anything in their script/training to deal/handle something like this.
A.K.A VOS

#48 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

I can't imagine a front line CSR has anything in their script/training to deal/handle something like this.

I did talk to a supervisor on Friday night. But yea...there was a lot of stuttering going on and I'm sure a lot of page turning.
The tech I talked to Saturday was very knowledgeable and never once resorted to script talk. In fact had this happened even ten to 15 minutes earlier and we had been home he would have been the one I would have talked to, but he was leaving for lunch when I called.

#49 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

I did get a call from Bruce from Directv. They are sending a team out to investigate this. This team may be flying from CA. I'm not sure. I'm keeping the HR20 and the deca for their investigation.
Bruce said he found out about it by reading my post, perhaps someone here alerted him.
Anyway it has moved up the "fire" ladder, so to speak.

Addendum: I did get a pm requesting my contact info so I could be contacted directly, so there was some Dirctv/DBSTalk communication.
Thank you D.B. for that.

It is quite encouraging to hear they are taking this all very seriously and going to that length to investigage the matter.

The final findings will be very interesting.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#50 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

It is quite encouraging to hear they are taking this all very seriously and going to that length to investigage the matter.

The final findings will be very interesting.

It would be utterly foolish of them not to.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#51 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

It would be utterly foolish of them not to.

Of course it would....but then....some companies might take that approach....ignore it and pretend it didn't happen.

Glad they are taking the right road on this.

I wonder if BubblePubby will get 3 free months of Showtime out of all this trouble.... :D:lol:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#52 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,764 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

Of course it would....but then....some companies might take that approach....ignore it and pretend it didn't happen.

I wonder if BubblePubby will get 3 free months of Showtime out of all this trouble.... :D:lol:

Sounded like some upgrades in DVRs, fer shure!

Not to be too whimsical, BP, as this is a frightening and upsetting development.

Hope it all turns out fine for you and Mrs. BP.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#53 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

I got 6 months. :D

Sounded like some upgrades in DVRs, fer shure!

Not to be too whimsical, BP, as this is a frightening and upsetting development.

Hope it all turns out fine for you and Mrs. BP.

Two HR24s replacing a HR20-700 and a HR23-700. I did hint at the HR34 and the tech rep said sure.....for $399.00. Maybe I should have Spock call on my behalf. ;)

#54 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,383 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

I got 6 months. :D

Two HR24s replacing a HR20-700 and a HR23-700. I did hint at the HR34 and the tech rep said sure.....for $399.00. Maybe I should have Spock call on my behalf. ;)

Just tell another CSR: "come and smell what would my whole house if you didn't come in right time !"

#55 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

I would bet you have some sort of electrical issue, the outlet may have hot and neutral reversed or some type of grounding issue. These things (DECAS) dont just catch on fire.

#56 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

I received a call from Clayton, super tech, and yes he will be flying in from LA next week. I'm impressed.
Again.. he read about this incident on DBSTalk.
The installer did check the outlets and said everything was fine.
Now to get the HR24s setup. If only Directv had a settings syncing method like Google/Android.
This units are wickedly fast. I'll see if that lasts when it is filled with recordings.

#57 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,412 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

The installer did check the outlets and said everything was fine.

Since it was "fed" by your DVR, it really comes down to the DVR to DECA path, and whether there was anything in the DECA that shorted, or whether it was at the connection of the coax to the DECA where the short was.
This has to be a first [and hopefully only] case of this.

When the PS in my computer did this [melted down] it stunk, which got my attention long before there was any fire.
A.K.A VOS

#58 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

Since it was "fed" by your DVR, it really comes down to the DVR to DECA path, and whether there was anything in the DECA that shorted, or whether it was at the connection of the coax to the DECA where the short was.
This has to be a first [and hopefully only] case of this.

When the PS in my computer did this [melted down] it stunk, which got my attention long before there was any fire.

VOS, I agree. I think the problem was between the deca and the dvr.

#59 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,707 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

This has been a very interesting thread.
In all liklihood, the tech will want to take the burnt DECA unit back with him.
Given that you had no real damage why not?

Also if they have any other incidents of this on file, they will likely have to notify the Consumer Products Safety Commission. Possible recall too. Could be expensive to Directv.

#60 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

This has been a very interesting thread.
In all liklihood, the tech will want to take the burnt DECA unit back with him.
Given that you had no real damage why not?

Also if they have any other incidents of this on file, they will likely have to notify the Consumer Products Safety Commission. Possible recall too. Could be expensive to Directv.

So far this is the first report of a fire associated with a deca. I was instructed to keep the deca and the HR20 it was connected to. Those will be going back to Directv either with Clayton after his arrival or shipped back. I believe he wants to look at those when he gets here. I've even sent him all the pictures I took of the burnt deca.

spam firewall