Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My Deca unit caught on FIRE!

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,860 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

I believe he wants to look at those when he gets here.

"If He Doesn't", then I want too. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

"If He Doesn't", then I want too. :lol:

They will not give it to anyone - it's an evidence for big lawsuit ;).

#63 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

They will not give it to anyone - it's an evidence for big lawsuit ;).

Mr. BP doesn't seem the type to start lawsuits over such a matter. Unless he's just been pretending to be a good guy for lo these many years..... :P
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#64 OFFLINE   amenic

amenic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

Corrected. This is going to be irrelevant information as whole home automatically includes a SWIM, and therefore OP didn't have any B-bands to begin with :)

H23/HR23s are the only receivers with built in B-band converters. When you replace an HR20 or such with an HR-24 they keep the B-bands, except when upgrading to a SWIM. With a SWIM installed DVRs only need one line in, not two, and B-bands get tossed. Going from multiswich to SWIM changes the requirements for a lot of things. D10s/D11s, R10s/R15s, and legacies ususally aren't SWIM compatable at all. D12s, R16s/R22s, and HR20s-24s can work with or without one. HR34 and H25 REQUIRE one to function so although neither of them have built in B-bands, the mandatory SWIM takes care of that for them.

Edited by amenic, 29 August 2012 - 10:10 PM.

#65 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

Just a side note: The H23/HR23s are the only receivers with built in Decas. If you just replace an HR20 or such with an HR-24, you'll still need external Decas. I'm guessing that in this situation they also upgraded the houses system to a SWIM setup. With a SWIM installed DVRs only need one line in, not two, and Decas get tossed. Going from multiswich to SWIM changes the requirements for everything. D10s/D11s, R10s/R15s, and legacies ususally aren't compatable at all. D12s, R16s/R22s, and HR20s-24s can work with or without one. HR34 and H25 REQUIRE one to function so although neither of them have built in DECAs, the mandatory SWIM takes care of that for them.

You're posting some very inacurate info here:

H23/HR23's do not have internal DECA
HR24's have internal DECA
DECA's do not "get tossed" with a SWM setup (in fact, SWM is a requirement for DECA.)
HR34 and H25 have internal DECA
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#66 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:12 PM

Just a side note: The H23/HR23s are the only receivers with built in Decas. If you just replace an HR20 or such with an HR-24, you'll still need external Decas. I'm guessing that in this situation they also upgraded the houses system to a SWIM setup. With a SWIM installed DVRs only need one line in, not two, and Decas get tossed. Going from multiswich to SWIM changes the requirements for everything. D10s/D11s, R10s/R15s, and legacies ususally aren't compatable at all. D12s, R16s/R22s, and HR20s-24s can work with or without one. HR34 and H25 REQUIRE one to function so although neither of them have built in DECAs, the mandatory SWIM takes care of that for them.

Incorrect, the 23's have wide band tuners that don't require BBC's on a non-SWIM setup. They do require DECA's for MRV. The 24's have built in DECA's.

Edit: dsw2112 beat me to it

#67 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:27 AM

Mr. BP doesn't seem the type to start lawsuits over such a matter. Unless he's just been pretending to be a good guy for lo these many years..... :P

Not even a thought of a lawsuit. Now if I had spilled some hot McDonald's coffee in my lap due to the fire.... ;-)
Actually I feel Directv is going above and beyond what I would have expected. Instead of just having me send the faulty equipment back they are sending a field technician from Los Angeles to investigate and check my equipment and installation.
I might just treat him to dinner. :-)
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#68 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,867 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:00 AM

This has been a very interesting thread.
In all liklihood, the tech will want to take the burnt DECA unit back with him.
Given that you had no real damage why not?

Also if they have any other incidents of this on file, they will likely have to notify the Consumer Products Safety Commission. Possible recall too. Could be expensive to Directv.

Recalls only happen in extreme circumstances, when there are several reported cases of product safety issues. Basically, there has to be a demonstrable pattern of safety issues.

Also, unless the law has been changed in the last few years, DirecTV doesn't have to file a report with the Commission since there was no personal injury or collateral property damage. Granted, there could have been, but the rules don't require a report of potential damage.

DirecTV is going way above and beyond what they are required to do. They are apparently doing it not because they have to, but because they are being good corporate citizens.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#69 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 584 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:35 AM

+1.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#70 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:42 AM

BubblePuppy, what a scary scene! My father was burned out when he was a kid and I was raised to be afraid of fire. I have industrial strength fire extinguishers around the house. I might have thrown everything out on the lawn and spent a night in a motel room if I'd had your experience.

Both DirecTV's rapid corporate response and your attitude in this situation have been exemplary. You receive my highest regards. I admire you no end.

And anytime you want a HR34, just ask. ;) :D
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#71 OFFLINE   Surveyor40

Surveyor40

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 438 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:21 AM

Thank you BP, because of your post you made me verify my own Deca's. I'm not concerned about the Deca's on the shelf in each room, as I can easily get to those. But, I have 4 dvr's installed in a built in rack enclosed in a cubby hole in the basement. If one did light up like yours, I would have to unscrew the shelf first which would be too late. I'm now planning on moving the Deca's to their own shelf, up front, then run coax extensions back to the dvr's. I will wire manage them, and provide strain relief. I've been in a fire before, the experience changes your life's perspective. In this matter I would prefer to be preventive then ignore the possibility. And, kudo's to D* for being a good corporate citizen. Regardless how D* management became aware, they appear to be genuinely concerned.
My Setup
14 year D* customer, LONG LIVE D*'s HDPC

#72 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:57 PM

This little incident has been a learning experience on several levels.
One: Even the most innocuous piece of electronic gear can fail and ignite. So I'm glad that this has inspired many members to double check and even relocate equipment to make a safer environment.

Two: It has illustrated to Directv where the weak link in the CSR chain is. The fact that 5 people whom I talked to (one being a supervisor) never felt that a piece of their equipment catching fire was important enough to alert the higher ups. Hopefully this will change.

Three: That there are people at Directv who take this sort of thing seriously and are willing to go above and beyond to make sure their customers are safe and that the equipment is safe to use. I think Directv has a customer for life.

Four: The fact that the two people who contacted me, including the one flying from LA to go over my setup, became alerted about this by reading it here on DBSTalk just reinforces what we all know about this forum, Directv does read what is posted here (watch it Spock. ;) ) This forum plays no small role in decisions made by Directv. Doug and all who participate here have created an incredible communications tool.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

#73 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,983 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:09 PM

Recalls only happen in extreme circumstances, when there are several reported cases of product safety issues. Basically, there has to be a demonstrable pattern of safety issues.

Also, unless the law has been changed in the last few years, DirecTV doesn't have to file a report with the Commission since there was no personal injury or collateral property damage. Granted, there could have been, but the rules don't require a report of potential damage.

DirecTV is going way above and beyond what they are required to do. They are apparently doing it not because they have to, but because they are being good corporate citizens.

Sorry Titan, I have a different view from a first hand recall experience in prior career. But won't drag the thread into a different direction. Glad Directv finally did the right thing after the first call seemed less than positive from BP's first post.

#74 OFFLINE   amenic

amenic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

Blast. Sorry about that. My brain misfired and I thought we were talking about B-band converters. Corrected post.

#75 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,374 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

Good grief. Now I am thinking of going hybrid and as soon as I can clear my last old units, upgrade to all hr24s.. Anyone have a owned hr24 they want to sell? YIKES!

I am glad everything is working out, and I am curios to see what the tech says after he has visited you.

#76 OFFLINE   dondude32

dondude32

Legend

• Registered
  • 216 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

Have 3 of these installed in the kids rooms. Every room has a smoke detector, but still makes me nervous. HR20-700 has been acting up lately losing signal where I have to remove power cord? Hope it's not related to deca unit.:eek2:

#77 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

You must start developing a safety habit: check a temperature of each DECA box each evening.

#78 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,860 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

I don't want to dismiss any concerns over this, but at the same time, I would hope that it's kept in perspective too.

I have no idea of how many DECAs have been put in service, but the numbers must be staggering, and they've been out for several years.

We have one occurrence reported.
A.K.A VOS

#79 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

Seen how DTV is reacting, it would be better be safe then sorry - the price is our life.

#80 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

I'm with VOS on this one. Safety, yes. Compulsive attention, no. If the DECAs are in the open, and visually checked for abrasion or cuts, and checked for tight connection, you don't need to do more.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...