Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My Deca unit caught on FIRE!

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

If you are going to be this concerned about potential fires, you'll never get in a car again.
So, in other words, if you have to travel from Chicago to Los Angeles, take a DECA, not a car. :grin:

Tight squeeze.
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

So the mystery seems to continue.

I'm assuming they will follow-up after their autopsy of the DECA and HR20.

In the mean time, hopefully things are now calmer and you have newer equipment in place to provide some peace of mind.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#123 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:09 AM

So the mystery seems to continue.

I'm assuming they will follow-up after their autopsy of the DECA and HR20.

In the mean time, hopefully things are now calmer and you have newer equipment in place to provide some peace of mind.

I would like to think that I am still in the loop. The reality of it could be different.
I have to commend Directv on the response, replacing both dvrs with HR24's to eliminate the use of external decas, sending Clayton from LA to investigate the issue, and giving me a few months of free premium movie channels.

#124 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

I would like to think that I am still in the loop. The reality of it could be different.

I just have the feeling this will be handled internally from here out.
A.K.A VOS

#125 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:43 AM

That would make sense.

#126 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,916 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:05 AM

Yes, to me the impressive thing is their response. They didn't just tell you to throw out the old one and send you a new one. Even if nothing more is heard about it, it shows that they really did take it seriously, not just a standard press statement "we're taking this very seriously."

#127 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,857 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

Yes, to me the impressive thing is their response. They didn't just tell you to throw out the old one and send you a new one. Even if nothing more is heard about it, it shows that they really did take it seriously, not just a standard press statement "we're taking this very seriously."

OMG. That's show how we beaten down to dust with "our" problem related to equipments what the companies selling/renting to us.

We see normal [PROPER] reaction of the company and ppl start qualifying this as high courteous handling.

Definitely our brains washed seriously. :(

#128 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

OMG. That's show how we beaten down to dust with "our" problem related to equipments what the companies selling/renting to us.

We see normal [PROPER] reaction of the company and ppl start qualifying this as high courteous handling.

Definitely our brains washed seriously. :(

I have to disagree.
All Directv had to do was send a return box for the Deca (and the dvr if necessary) and send me a new Deca or send out a installer to attach the new Deca and make sure the HR20 was working. They did not have to replace the HR20 that was involved with fire sight unseen.
At my request Directv replaced both dvrs of my with two HR24s. How many times will Directv replace a unit with a requested model? Not often from what I read. You get what they send you, no guarantees which model you get.

Directv had the installer of the HR24s go over every connection and connector, cable to cable, from satellite to wall outlet. He could have just connected the dvrs, made sure the two were working and left.
And to top it all off Directv flies out Clayton from Los Angeles to Missouri to go over everything again, plus perform even more intensive testings. he spent over 3+ hours at my house.
And again, all Directv could have done is send me a return box and replace the burnt deca.
There is no way I will say that Directv gave me standard, everyday service. This transcended that..for what ever the motives were.

#129 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:28 PM

I have to disagree.
All Directv had to do was send a return box for the Deca (and the dvr if necessary) and send me a new Deca or send out a installer to attach the new Deca and make sure the HR20 was working. They did not have to replace the HR20 that was involved with fire sight unseen.

At my request Directv replaced both dvrs of my with two HR24s. How many times will Directv replace a unit with a requested model? Not often from what I read. You get what they send you, no guarantees which model you get.

Directv had the installer of the HR24s go over every connection and connector, cable to cable, from satellite to wall outlet. He could have just connected the dvrs, made sure the two were working and left.
And to top it all off Directv flies out Clayton from Los Angeles to Missouri to go over everything again, plus perform even more intensive testings. he spent over 3+ hours at my house.
And again, all Directv could have done is send me a return box and replace the burnt deca.
There is no way I will say that Directv gave me standard, everyday service. This transcended that..for what ever the motives were.

It seems quite fair to say that they demonstrated real concern on your situation, went the extra mile to investigate, and did the right thing to get you new replacement units.

#130 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:44 PM

I have to disagree.

That's typical enduser point of view.

I'm talking from opposite side and common rules: they did nothing extra; if you would work for any company where is fire could start by the equipment, you'll know how handle such cases properly. Telling you ... (had experience working with Li-Ion batteries and you know last years issues with these)

#131 OFFLINE   MalcolmG

MalcolmG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:38 AM

Saw this paper and thought of this thread. Interesting read.http://www.kodiakcon...ource_Final.pdf

#132 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

That's why I hate see white residue on PCB (boards); always cleaning it by isoprpanol.

But seen that very often :(.

#133 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,211 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:51 AM

If you are going to be this concerned about potential fires, you'll never get in a car again. Vehicle fires happen much more frequently that BubblePuppy's problem. From 2002 to 2005, there were an average of 305,800 vehicle fires per year, causing on average 520 deaths and 1,640 injuries. link

In BP's case, there was one fire that caused no deaths or injuries.

So, in other words, if you have to travel from Chicago to Los Angeles, take a DECA, not a car. :grin:

Heh.....

If you have any fear of DECAs being vulnerable (I don't), keep them away from enclosures. That'd also ensure that the cable and its connectors have air circulating around them, and that a visual might show scorching before any danger of any combustion.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#134 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

If you have any fear of DECAs being vulnerable (I don't), keep them away from enclosures. That'd also ensure that the cable and its connectors have air circulating around them, and that a visual might show scorching before any danger of any combustion.

Agree.

I've used as many as 5 external DECa units at one time (no longer though, as DECA is internal in all my units). No fear here to reuse one if I need to add one of my dormant older units back into the network.

#135 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,259 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:27 AM

Very interesting article.
Perhaps my Deca grew whiskers and needed a shave.
http://www.sc.edu/ne...71#.UMRY4KNMHJt

Edited by BubblePuppy, 09 December 2012 - 03:34 AM.

#136 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,576 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

Fascinating stuff.

I hope they're wrong about this:

Some observers even predict that it’s only a matter of time before miniature devices built after the ban [on adding lead to tin solder] start failing en masse.

/steve

#137 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:53 AM

I was the head of a design group and we encounter this issue on one of our designs. However, I do not believe it is a massive issue as suggested by this article.

First, we had to use a scanning electron microscope to even see the whiskers. in enough detail. Also, they occurred only in a particular portion of the circuit where the impedance was right. And finally, proper cleaning of the circuit board (after wave solder) fixed the issue. Since most PWAs today predominately use SMT (surface mount) and there is quite a bit of lead free soldering, I wonder how significant this will really be. It would be interesting to hear from an expert in this area. BTW, it didn't take very long for issues to show up for us either. I'm not convinced this is a ticking time-bomb.

#138 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

Tin Whiskers

Great name for a rock band.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#139 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

I agree.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#140 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

I'm not convinced this is a ticking time-bomb.

It's the End Of The World!

Tin whiskers could cause Toyotas to accellerate

http://www.huffingto..._n_1221076.html

satellites to fail

http://nepp.nasa.gov...lures/index.htm

computers to die

http://www.guardian....rch.engineering

and pacemakers to be recalled.

http://www.fda.gov/I...s/ucm072921.htm

You could DIE because of tin whiskers!

(But then, if you haven't had your 1970s pacemaker replaced by now, you're probably dead, anyway.)

:D

And there already is a rock band.

http://www.tinwhiskersband.com/
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

Protected By... spam firewall...And...