Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Explain this to me???

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

I am staying in a Comfort Inn in Grand Junction Colorado. I was surprised to see a DirecTV D12-100 and a RC65 remote in my room. The room has a LG widescreen HDTV but is only getting a SD signal from the D12. (oh well)

Here is the strange part. The Grand Junction-Montrose DMA is not on DirecTv. Instead the motel is subscribed to the Denver DMA. A individual living here would not be able to subscribe to the Denver DMA so how come a corporation (Choice Hotels) can? When I come here I like to watch the local news but there is no way to do this. They have the inputs disabled and no OTA antenna so you can only see DirecTV with Denver feeds in the guide.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

Maybe they gave the address of their hotel in Denver to Directv :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:35 PM

Well maybe, but I have stayed in 9 different hotels here and have never seen this. Another funny thing is there is no Regional Sports Network. Root Sports Rocky Mountain comes up as not subscribed when I tried to watch the Rockies game tonight.

#4 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:19 PM

A few years ago, we had a chain furniture store open (Jacksonville FL area). In their living room section, they had a DirecTV receiver and TV set up. As I was flipping through the channels while my wife shopped, I noticed the local stations were from Orlando. I asked one of the sales persons; they said the furniture/props had come from their Orlando store (about 150 driving miles SW). Maybe your D12 migrated the same way?

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,170 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:31 AM

And for commercial accounts perhaps RSNs require the MSOs to charge the customers more than for residential accounts since many more viewers are seeing the feed per account.

But to reduce costs commercial customers are given the option to subscribe to the RSN channel(s) or not.

#6 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:20 AM

Did you see the D* on-screen guide? If so then they aren't subscribing to commercial service. There is a new DRE (DIRECTV Residential Experience) system available for hotels that implements the same residential on-screen guide we know. But it doesn't use the D12 receivers.

It could be a few options:

1. A dealer installed them with residential D* service.

2. The receiver was moved to this location from somewhere within the Denver spotbeam.

3. They were installed with the wrong commercial D* account type.

It's extremely rare to see the equipment in an hotel room, especially the remote.

Edited by Justin23, 25 August 2012 - 06:26 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:24 AM

And for commercial accounts perhaps RSNs require the MSOs to charge the customers more than for residential accounts since many more viewers are seeing the feed per account.

But to reduce costs commercial customers are given the option to subscribe to the RSN channel(s) or not.

The carriage fee for the channels on commercial accounts is higher than residential. For the regular commercial packages (bar, office, waiting areas, etc), the customer picks a package that has RSN's included. Or they can add them a la carte to a lower tier package.

Hotels are what is called "free to guest" & pay a monthly flat rate per room. They can pick & choose different groupings of channels and build their package that way. Or there is a package called In-Room Choice that will have about 80 channels.

#8 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:29 AM

I don't think too many hotels pay extra for HD, either from satellite or cable. They have the widescreen sets because, I don't think you can buy 4 X 3's anymore.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#9 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:16 AM

I don't think too many hotels pay extra for HD, either from satellite or cable. They have the widescreen sets because, I don't think you can buy 4 X 3's anymore.

Some chains like Marriott mandated to their corporate & franchise locations that they must outfit their rooms with HDTV's. What was missing in that mandate was for them to have HD service. You will see HD grow in the hospitality sector over the next year or two.

#10 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

Playing a little more with it this morning. The package is some version of Total Choice but with no music channels. The TC+ channels are greyed out. Regular guide and I can change and set favorite lists. Menu shows 101 sat only and info shows Directv 1 sat 1 watch so I guess it is locked on 101 only. Slimline 3 and SWM version 2.0.24. and 2.0.25. No mix channels. Can't order any ppv.

#11 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:29 AM

See if you have these channels:

-ESPN
-Disney
-CNN

#12 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:42 AM

Yep, all including E&W Disney.

#13 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

Most times if your in a motel, you should worry about spending time either working, enjoying your vacation, or having sex with your spouse. Not worrying about the motel tv and channel setup!:lol:

#14 OFFLINE   gio12

gio12

Icon

• Registered
  • 842 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

Most times if your in a motel, you should worry about spending time either working, enjoying your vacation, or having sex with your spouse. Not worrying about the motel tv and channel setup!:lol:

LMFAO!!!

#15 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

The answer is clear: Someone is pirating signal. This would not have been allowed by DIRECTV L&I.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#16 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

The answer is clear: Someone is pirating signal. This would not have been allowed by DIRECTV L&I.

I don't think it's pirating. I think they were accidentally installed with the incorrect commercial DIRECTV acct type.

The big indicator is Sonic Tap missing. Those music channels are an a la carte add-on for commercial.

I'm a little confused how they are getting Denver locals in Grand Junction. Maybe L&I accounts are allowed nearby locals?

#17 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

It is probably an honest mistake. The franchisee may own a hotel in Denver and Grand Junction. They probably upgraded their Denver location and just moved the receivers to Grand Junction. Since they worked, they just treated them like cable boxes. Not everyone really knows the ins and outs of D* agreements. It may violate some local agreement, but until someone makes them aware things will remain the same.

And who knows, maybe Comfort Inn has some overall agreement with D*. We stayed at a few Choice Motels (overall name for Comfort Inns and others) on our recent trip and they all seemed to have D* as the base service (although most were multiplexed into cable channels).

#18 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

It is probably an honest mistake. The franchisee may own a hotel in Denver and Grand Junction. They probably upgraded their Denver location and just moved the receivers to Grand Junction. Since they worked, they just treated them like cable boxes. Not everyone really knows the ins and outs of D* agreements. It may violate some local agreement, but until someone makes them aware things will remain the same.

And who knows, maybe Comfort Inn has some overall agreement with D*. We stayed at a few Choice Motels (overall name for Comfort Inns and others) on our recent trip and they all seemed to have D* as the base service (although most were multiplexed into cable channels).

Do you think Grand Junction is outside the Denver spotbeam?

#19 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

Did you see the D* on-screen guide? If so then they aren't subscribing to commercial service. There is a new DRE (DIRECTV Residential Experience) system available for hotels that implements the same residential on-screen guide we know. But it doesn't use the D12 receivers.

It could be a few options:

1. A dealer installed them with residential D* service.

2. The receiver was moved to this location from somewhere within the Denver spotbeam.

3. They were installed with the wrong commercial D* account type.

It's extremely rare to see the equipment in an hotel room, especially the remote.

have seen a commercial account at a local CRO get the normal directv onscreen guide, so that is not a sure sign

#20 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

have seen a commercial account at a local CRO get the normal directv onscreen guide, so that is not a sure sign

CRO?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...