Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 and Standard Definition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cinman

cinman

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

I am a brand new member who has found amazing insight on DBStalk!! I've done a lot of reading and decided to switch from Dish to the HR34 from Direct TV. I have two HD sets and one SD set. My question is how to make sure the SD set has the ability to play the shows from the HR34. I appears that this only works with HD receivers. Do I just order a HD receiver for my SD set, or will that even work?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:38 AM

Since the cost is the same, the best idea would be to order an HD receiver for your SD tv. It will allow you to watch the HD only channels on that set, which a sd receiver would not be able to receive.

HD receivers will work fine with SD tv's, although if your tv does not have video/audio inputs (rf antenna connection only) you would need a modulator (radio shack) or an old VCR set to video input to be able to get the picture out on channel 3/4 to the TV, as the HD boxes do not have coax out to the TV.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:45 AM

Do I just order a HD receiver for my SD set, or will that even work?

Since the cost is the same, the best idea would be to order an HD receiver for your SD tv. It will allow you to watch the HD only channels on that set, which a sd receiver would not be able to receive.

+1. It'll work fine. I have two 13" CRTs connected composite to two H25s, and they play back HR34 HD recordings without a problem.
/steve

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,208 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

Welcome to DBSTalk!

At the same time, HD sets are really cheap now, unless you need a large screen. I just bought a tiny (24") 3D monitor made by Sony and love it. $199.- Made for their Playstation setups, but it's just fine for my purposes.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   cinman

cinman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

Thanks to all for the quick responses..very helpful :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...