Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Network Playback Errors and CCK

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dccatl

dccatl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

I've just had my DirecTV installed since Tuesday, HR-34, HR-24 and 2 H-24's. The installer used the CCK to connect to my router but I understand he could have plugged my ethernet directly into the HR-34 (the CCK is sitting on top of the HR-34).

Last night I was recording the Falcons game on the HR-34 and started watching it about 40 min after it started on the same machine. Then I went upstairs to my HR-24 to finish watching the 4th quarter. By that time I had pretty much caught up to the "live" program but still had a couple of minutes I could skip commercials for. As I was skipping commericials I would get a "Playback failed. No audio/video data packets received from server", after stopping and resuming the playback several times I could get it to play.

Today I ran the system test and it said I had "Network Playback Errors" and reported diagnostic code 79-771. I ran the Coax network tests and there were 13 dropouts reported, the mesh test listed all numbers 237 or above (most in the 240-250 range).

My question is: Will removing the CCK from the install help this situation in any way, or is this more likely a temporary glitch or from trying to skip ahead so close to the "edge" of live programming?

My HR-24 is on software 0x5d2 andthe HR-34 is on 0x0582 if that matters.

Thanks in advance,

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,762 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

My first question is: where is the PI for the SWiM located? [or how close to a receiver is it?]
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   dccatl

dccatl

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

The PI is in the basement connected via about a 25' RG-6 to the SWiM mounted outside about 6 feet below the dish.

I just checked the coax coming out of the PI and the nut on the connector was about 1/2 turn loose.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,762 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

The PI is in the basement connected via about a 25' RG-6 to the SWiM mounted outside about 6 feet below the dish.

I just checked the coax coming out of the PI and the nut on the connector was about 1/2 turn loose.

Is the PI the only thing on this coax?
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   dccatl

dccatl

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

Is the PI the only thing on this coax?

Yes, AFAIK my system is connected like this (I haven't traced all the lines from my house's distribution panel but I've only got 1 4-way splitter and I'm sure the PI goes straight to the SWiM):

Attached Thumbnails

• DIRECTV_Install.png

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,762 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

That rules out any problems/issues with the PI and a loose cable too.
The 34's dropped sessions may not be something to worry about either.
There is a lot of things going on these days with the different hardware and software versions.
It looks like your DECA networking is in good shape.

That layout can't be exactly how you're setup, since you have nine tuners, they can't all be on one of the SWiM-16's outputs.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   dccatl

dccatl

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

That rules out any problems/issues with the PI and a loose cable too.
The 34's dropped sessions may not be something to worry about either.
There is a lot of things going on these days with the different hardware and software versions.
It looks like your DECA networking is in good shape.

That layout can't be exactly how you're setup, since you have nine tuners, they can't all be on one of the SWiM-16's outputs.

Thanks for the feedback, I just checked the coax going into the HR-34 and it was about a full turn loose - this was after I experienced about 3 freezes during playback of a VOD where the movie would just pause and then resume after about 10-20 seconds, rewinding and playing back through the same spot would produce the same result, looks like it just skipped a few seconds of recording.

I did re-check my coax distribution box and as you said my install wasn't as I drew earlier, it's actually like the attached.

In any case I guess I'll just wait this out and see if it gets better on its own after ensuring all connections were tight and/or getting more software updates.

I just switched from Dish, primarilly because of thier loss of AMC but the whole home DVR along with more hard drive capacity was an added bonus coming to DirecTV. I like many of the features of the HR-34/24 better than my old ViP-700's but I must say that so far it seems like the Dish equipment was more stable.

Thanks again for your help.

Attached Thumbnails

• DIRECTV_Install.png

#8 OFFLINE   viclovr

viclovr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

I just switched from Dish, primarilly because of thier loss of AMC but the whole home DVR along with more hard drive capacity was an added bonus coming to DirecTV. I like many of the features of the HR-34/24 better than my old ViP-700's but I must say that so far it seems like the Dish equipment was more stable.

Thanks again for your help.

the more complex the system is, the bigger the chance of something going wrong.:D

(not saying it will go wrong.)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...