Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Distribute modulator output (UHF) through a DPP44 switch

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EdN

EdN

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:03 AM

I want to distribute output from a modulator (UHF channels) though the DPP44 switch to my 4 satellite receivers. Can I use the 4th input port? Would I use a Holland DPD2 diplexer? The output from a 1000.4WA dish is also going into the DPP44 switch.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,729 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:37 AM

You may want to do it that way, but it won't work.

What you need to do -
get a 3/4 way splitter and enough pairs of diplexers.

Wiring - from the OUTPUT side of the DPP44 - put the diplexers in, the SAT input to the output of the DPP44. The ANT input goes to the splitter. The input to the splitter comes from another cable on the output of your modulator. At each end of the cable, you put the other diplexer, with the common going to the common at the DPP44. Sat will go to the satellite reciever, ANT to your OTA inputs device.

If the modulator is the one supplying for the others - then you could use the diplexers to send the signal to the DPP44 , where you would then split and use the diplexer as above.

In any event - the DPP44 will not work to pass the OTA signals in a reliable manner to all the outputs.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   EdN

EdN

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

You may want to do it that way, but it won't work.

What you need to do -
get a 3/4 way splitter and enough pairs of diplexers.

Wiring - from the OUTPUT side of the DPP44 - put the diplexers in, the SAT input to the output of the DPP44. The ANT input goes to the splitter. The input to the splitter comes from another cable on the output of your modulator. At each end of the cable, you put the other diplexer, with the common going to the common at the DPP44. Sat will go to the satellite reciever, ANT to your OTA inputs device.

If the modulator is the one supplying for the others - then you could use the diplexers to send the signal to the DPP44 , where you would then split and use the diplexer as above.

In any event - the DPP44 will not work to pass the OTA signals in a reliable manner to all the outputs.

Hi Scooper,
Thanks for the reply. Is there any way you could include a diagram as an attachment?
I think that would clear up any questions I have.
Thanks again.

#4 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Just to give complete info, Ed is trying to view dvd's from his player through the receiver. He posted this on another site.

#5 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

Scooper's got it right, just make sure the power inserter for output port 1 is not in line with any of your UHF/VHF signals. IOW, do not put the power inserter between the in/out ports of your diplexers. EdN, it would be helpful to know what receivers you have and how they are all connected, and whether you already have diplexers for TV2, etc. before a diagram can be applied.

#6 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,729 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

My wife did up a nice drawing - I just don't have anywhere to post a link for it...

#7 OFFLINE   EdN

EdN

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

Scooper's got it right, just make sure the power inserter for output port 1 is not in line with any of your UHF/VHF signals. IOW, do not put the power inserter between the in/out ports of your diplexers. EdN, it would be helpful to know what receivers you have and how they are all connected, and whether you already have diplexers for TV2, etc. before a diagram can be applied.

Hi All,
I made a sketch of my system (png image). How do I insert it into quick reply?

Edited by EdN, 26 August 2012 - 08:30 PM.
image doesn't show.

#8 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

From paint? Click attach (paper clip) when replying, browse, find the file, click upload and wait. Then it's attached to your post, just like my van:

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:05 PM

Click "go advanced", attach is not available with quick reply.

#10 OFFLINE   EdN

EdN

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:16 PM

Hi All,
Attached is a sketch of my system.

Attached Files

#11 OFFLINE   EdN

EdN

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:28 AM

I came up with the attached layout. Please tell me if it will work.
Thanks.

Attached Files

#12 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,729 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

That's pretty close

#13 OFFLINE   EdN

EdN

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:31 AM

I hooked it up as shown in my earlier post's attachment and it works fine. I needed an amplifier between the modulator and the splitter.

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

So, you didn't use DPP44 as part of UHF signals distribution ? Mangled with bunch of splitters/combiners ...

I would try just for a gig, then use only splitters at receivers.

spam firewall