Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

BTN & DISH Agree to Deal (was BTN, Dish Network negotiation at stalemate)

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:57 PM

I just found this (Lansing State Journal):

http://www.lansingst...dyssey=nav|head

It seems that it is not the Big Ten, but FOX. The following is from the article in the Lansing State Journal:

John Hall, a spokesman for DISH, released a statement that said only “DISH continues good-faith negotiations with FOX, part owner of Big Ten Network. We are always open to proposals that offer our customers high quality programming at a good value.”

And:

"But the current negotiations come in the context of a legal fight. FOX filed a lawsuit against DISH earlier this year contending that Auto Hop, a feature that allows subscribers to automatically skip commercials, was a violation of copyright."

Apparently, if FOX succeeds here, NBC, ABC and CBS will try to do the same with other channels. Get rid of the "Hopper" ad skip feature or else. I guess the legal term is "bribery".

As everyone said would happen. Even if DISH wins the lawsuit the networks can still "make them pay" in negotiations like this.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 540 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 04:57 AM

An update from the Big Ten Network

BTN and DISH have agreed to a short-term arrangement. Discussions will continue towards a long-term agreement. Enjoy today’s season-opening games.

Thank you for your continued support.

(Received via email 4:04 AM EDT 9/1/2012)

#43 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:32 AM

I just read that on the Big Ten Web site as well... It's a positive sign, though not as positive as a new deal of course...

It's also potentially positive for the PAC-12 as well, since if Dish is looking to keep Big Ten, they are open to a similar deal IF the PAC-12 will back off of wanting their 7 24/7 channels! But that's for another thread.

In the meantime, nice to see Big Ten still on this morning.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#44 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

I think one full time channel is enough to devote to each conference.

They think they are WAY more important than they really are.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#45 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

I think one full time channel is enough to devote to each conference.

They think they are WAY more important than they really are.

That's because they are. The Big Ten isn't even the best conference and they put hundreds of thousands of people in their stadiums every Saturday. Just Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State put about 320,000 people in their stadium's.

College football is a huge deal. If you don't like it don't watch. Don't pay for the sports pack. You can even get the top 120 without Big Ten. Don't ever underestimate collage football fans. It's passion like no other sport.

#46 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

But, you see, I AM a sports fan and without looking it up, can you tell me who won the national chanpionship in 2003?

Only the rabid fan would know much less care, and there are a lot fewer of those than they think.

I know people who pay thousands of dollars for season tickets, that's OK, but they think everyone else should feel the same way they do, and 99% of everyone else doesn't.

It's wonderful that you want to watch college football 24/7/365, more power to you, just don't be a bandwidth hog and let the rest of us see the sports we like too.

If PAC12 or whatever gets 6 or 7 full time HD channels, how many other more deserving channels (full time RSN's) will have to wait until 8PSK is fully implemented.

If the Big 10 puts 1,000,000 people in the stands on a weekend, that is about 0.3% of the US population, multiply that by 10 and you are still at only 3%.

Edited by Jim5506, 03 September 2012 - 11:01 AM.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#47 OFFLINE   sloop30

sloop30

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:24 AM

But, you see, I AM a sports fan and without looking it up, can you tell me who won the national chanpionship in 2003?

Only the rabid fan would know much less care, and there are a lot fewer of those than they think.

I know people who pay thousands of dollars for season tickets, that's OK, but they think everyone else should feel the same way they do, and 99% of everyone else doesn't.

It's wonderful that you want to watch college football 24/7/365, more power to you, just don't be a bandwidth hog and let the rest of us see the sports we like too.

If PAC12 or whatever gets 6 or 7 full time HD channels, how many other more deserving channels (full time RSN's) will have to wait until 8PSK is fully implemented.

If the Big 10 puts 1,000,000 people in the stands on a weekend, that is about 0.3% of the US population, multiply that by 10 and you are still at only 3%.

Yeah they are asking for quite a bit in my opinion, having a network is just the tip of the iceberg.

#48 OFFLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 540 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

Received from Big Ten Network last night---

I Want My BTN! Don't let DISH Network Drop the Big Ten Network
Attention DISH Network Customers,

The Big Ten Network still does not have a long-term agreement with DISH.

Last Friday, we thought an agreement with DISH was close so we entered into a short-term arrangement to allow BTN fans to see their teams for the kickoff of college football. Unfortunately, negotiations have stalled and we do not anticipate another short-term arrangement will be reached. This all means starting Saturday, September 8, DISH plans to drop BTN and DISH customers may miss over 35 BTN football games, including the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk series.

Act Now. BTN has long-term agreements with many other TV providers that carry the network. To find another BTN provider, visit IWantBTN.com or CALL 1-855-WANT-B10 for more information.

Thank you for your support.

#49 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

Received from Big Ten Network last night---

I Want My BTN! Don't let DISH Network Drop the Big Ten Network
Attention DISH Network Customers,

The Big Ten Network still does not have a long-term agreement with DISH.

Last Friday, we thought an agreement with DISH was close so we entered into a short-term arrangement to allow BTN fans to see their teams for the kickoff of college football. Unfortunately, negotiations have stalled and we do not anticipate another short-term arrangement will be reached. This all means starting Saturday, September 8, DISH plans to drop BTN and DISH customers may miss over 35 BTN football games, including the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk series.

Act Now. BTN has long-term agreements with many other TV providers that carry the network. To find another BTN provider, visit IWantBTN.com or CALL 1-855-WANT-B10 for more information.

Thank you for your support.

Here we go again.....

#50 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,415 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

I will say this... it doesn't make Big Ten look good when the message fluctuates...

Dish is going to drop us, run!
Nevermind, we have another week...
Crickets chirp...
AAAAHHHH! The sky is falling, for real this time, panic!

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#51 OFFLINE   Geordon

Geordon

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

I dropped cable for Dish HD the weekend before BTN started covering Michigan State football in HD. I pay for the local sports package, which only contains two channels - Fox Sports Detroit (woop-de-do) and BTN. Without BTN, I will drop my programming level. What sucks about losing BTN, is that, as posted above, games which used to be broadcast by the local stations are now on BTN (especially basketball). Now, I will get nothing.

#52 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 574 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

Here we go again.....

I think I made the right move by switching to DirecTV. DISH has to learn that their lawsuits, and programming disputes, have consequences. I may not be alone with the latest salvos of the AMC channels and now BTN.

#53 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:30 PM

I think I made the right move by switching to DirecTV. DISH has to learn that their lawsuits, and programming disputes, have consequences. I may not be alone with the latest salvos of the AMC channels and now BTN.

This is purely anecdotal and not scientific in any way, so take it FWIW.

I've had satellite TV since 1995, and I am a writer in the computer and electronics world. As a result I have had a lot of friends over the years ask my help in picking a TV provider. A lot. Also FWIW, this included people in all of the places I've lived in the U.S., including Houston, Mid-Michigan, KC, Chicago, Akron/Cleveland, NC, and middle of nowhere IA. Among others.

It almost always goes the same way (with some changes, as technology has changed, e.g. HD large screen TVs.) I put together the options (cable, DirectTV, Dish, and the occasional new technology. The we look at channel lineups and compare packages, including pricing. We'll also compare things like DVRs, etc. but it usually comes down to the channel line-up and pricing.

Almost always, people immediately check to see if some specific channels are available. That always seems to come before looking at pricing. If they are looking for some favorite channel, and it is not available on one of the providers, they'll pick another even if it is more expensive. If both carry the channels they care about, they'll go with the cheaper (usually.) Now, with HD, I've seen people pick one over the other due to a favorite channel not being in HD on a provider. I've commonly seen people pick a provider and pay $10-15 more per month for one dumb channel. Dumb to me, but important to their viewing habits.

A month or so ago, a guy and his family asked for help, the local cable company switched RSNs and he could no longer see all the Cardinals (MLB) regular season games here in NW Iowa. He pays significantly more but he made the switch (to Dish) within a week. I was helping someone else last week, and they were all set to go with Dish, and then they asked if the AMC deal had been resolved, I told them no, and they immediately changed to go with DirectTV. I've seen people really hung up on making sure they got the new NBC sports channel in HD, just because of the Stanley Cup playoffs on there. I've seen people take a higher cost package just because some home/garden channel was only available in HD in that package.

I guess my point is that a lot of people, when choosing a provider, focus on the channels first and then the cost. I've never, thinking back, had someone tell me "Yeah, we don't mind giving up watching these shows that we regularly watch for a $7 or $10 lower cost" when making their choice.

Edited by fudpucker, 07 September 2012 - 07:51 PM.

#54 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:36 PM

I dropped cable for Dish HD the weekend before BTN started covering Michigan State football in HD. I pay for the local sports package, which only contains two channels - Fox Sports Detroit (woop-de-do) and BTN. Without BTN, I will drop my programming level. What sucks about losing BTN, is that, as posted above, games which used to be broadcast by the local stations are now on BTN (especially basketball). Now, I will get nothing.

What local sports package do you pay extra for that has FSD and BTN on Dish? You mean TOP120+ rather than Top120?

You can blame this all on the greed of sports. And I do mean all of it. This has to come to an end, we can't keep paying for every new sports channel at the prices they ask. I

#55 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

All the hoppin' bells and whistles on the box won't mean a thing if you can't watch what you want to watch. DISH's slogan ought to be: "Let's watch TV ... except for ..."
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#56 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

What local sports package do you pay extra for that has FSD and BTN on Dish? You mean TOP120+ rather than Top120?

You can blame this all on the greed of sports. And I do mean all of it. This has to come to an end, we can't keep paying for every new sports channel at the prices they ask. I

I think sports channels are ideally suited for a la carte' pricing. Something like the BTN is a BIG deal in part of the country, and other parts wouldn't pay an extra nickel. Ask any SEC fan how much they would pay to get an SEC package and they'll pay a ton and be happy to pay. Same for other conferences. But an SEC fan shouldn't have to pay for a Big Ten network, and vice versa.

#57 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

And to reinforce my point about people picking based on a channel, from another thread here:

Only thing stopping me from switching is Direct doesn't have DIY in HD. Thats the channel my gf and I watch the most together. Other than DIY, Direct has more channels I want in HD (ESPNNews and ESPNU). If Direct gets DIY in HD, bye bye Dish!

#58 OFFLINE   pmjones

pmjones

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:45 PM

And to reinforce my point about people picking based on a channel, from another thread here:

Hahahahaha! Are you saying there is minimal demand for watching someone change out a water heater in HD? How could you imply such a thing? :D

Heres hoping we see the games on Big 10 tomorrow . . . .

#59 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

Thank goodness I can use my folks Directv login and I can watch the games thru BTN2go on the Iphone.

#60 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

Yeah BTN pissed me off when I could no longer watch Wisconsin Women's b-ball which USED to be on our local PBS. A seperate 14.95 fee per month to see those games was bull thru BTN digital. I already have BTN thru Dish and those scammers can't include those games online at no extra charge?

GURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

spam firewall