Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

BTN & DISH Agree to Deal (was BTN, Dish Network negotiation at stalemate)

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

What time is the BTN going dark today?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

What time is the BTN going dark today?

Should have been Dark at Midnight so IDK ....Per BTN facebook they are going to have an ANNOUCEMENT at 10 am central ...I see BTN has taken down the anti-dish" iwantmbigten.com" website

#63 OFFLINE   monoparadox

monoparadox

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

Suppose Charlie the fox closed the PAC-12 deal and used it for leverage with the BTN?

#64 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:33 AM

Suppose Charlie the fox closed the PAC-12 deal and used it for leverage with the BTN?

Certainly shows BTN dish can MAKE the deal ... I think with the crawler gone off BTNS station and the Negative remarks removed from BTNS page we may see a positive outcome

#65 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:40 AM

Feed Just went DARK.... uhoh

#66 OFFLINE   monoparadox

monoparadox

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

Feed Just went DARK.... uhoh

Yooop. Notice page is up.

#67 OFFLINE   monoparadox

monoparadox

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

Certainly shows BTN dish can MAKE the deal ... I think with the crawler gone off BTNS station and the Negative remarks removed from BTNS page we may see a positive outcome

Or, Charlie took his BTN marbles and made an exclusivity deal with the PAC-12, leaving BTN high and dry.

#68 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,892 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

EPG Notice on channel 439 (438-01 Hopper/Joey) ...

We continue to work with Fox to try to reach a deal on the Big 10 Network.
Visit FootballOnDISH.com for game info.

From the Football On DISH site ...

COLLEGE FOOTBALL ON DISH.

DISH continues to work towards an agreement with Fox, the owners of Big Ten Network. We are hopeful we will reach a deal to restore this programming. Thank you for your patience as we work towards an agreement.

While The Big Ten Network is unavailable, use our Big Ten Schedule and GameFinder tool for information on where you can watch many of the Big Ten games on your local stations and other sports channels.

#69 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

Or, Charlie took his BTN marbles and made an exclusivity deal with the PAC-12, leaving BTN high and dry.

Me thinks your correct..... nope ITS BACK ON!

#70 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,690 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

I don't like the Big Ten Network Web site where they list "all the history of Dish dropping channels"...

The thing they are missing... and hoping nobody questions... is that Dish rarely drops channels.

Usually the channels are pulled by the channel provider when no contract is issued.

I honestly can only think of Voom as an example of Dish pulling the plug rather than the provider cutting the feed.

They list the Disney HD feeds we lost a couple of years ago... but the thing is... Dish didn't drop those feeds at all! Dish believed they had the right to carry them for free... and Disney said "no" and pulled the feeds from Dish after Dish refused to pay... and now we have that lawsuit.

AMC similarly pulled their feed when Dish didn't agree to the new proposal...

See the pattern?

Regardless of who you support... the simple facts are that IF there is no contract, Dish can't carry the feeds... so Dish isn't "dropping" these channels...

Dish would happily carry the channels for free OR under the old contract while the negotiations go... but at some point the channels decide to pull their feed and hold the viewers hostage as a negotiation tactic to pressure Dish... and rarely does that work with Dish.

So... when Big Ten went dark... it wasn't Dish dropping them... it was Big Ten dropping Dish.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#71 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

Came back on 4 mins ago...

#72 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,690 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

The alternates are back as well.

#73 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,892 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

Came back on 4 mins ago...

Yep ... and the EPG I quoted above is back to normal.

A last minute catch in the endzone for a game winning touchdown?

#74 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

The alternates are back as well.

dont really make a lot of since to take it down long enough for Dish's facebook page to be bombarded with post Only to bring it back up :confused: glad to see it back but.... DAMAGE CONTROL NEXT TIME PEOPLE...

#75 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

Yep ... and the EPG I quoted above is back to normal.

A last minute catch in the endzone for a game winning touchdown?

More like an Extra Point .....

according to Dish's Facebook " we have reached a short term agreement with BTN so that you are able to watch your college football! We hope to reach a long term agreement soon! -Cheri T. "

tHEY GONNA short Term the whole season ..lol

#76 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,892 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

Regardless of who you support... the simple facts are that IF there is no contract, Dish can't carry the feeds... so Dish isn't "dropping" these channels...

There is too much focus on who actually flips the switch on the channels. What you state is very important. Without PERMISSION to carry a channel, DISH cannot carry the channel. Permission comes with a contract for carriage.

The ESPN/Disney issue is a rare example of DISH carrying channels without permission and the channels going down only when ESPN physically disabled the receivers at DISH. That physical pull coming after a court battle (with ESPN not disabling the feeds until they were sure that they could without penalty). DISH carried the channels based on the belief that they had permission granted by other contracts.

Otherwise, no permission (no contract) = no carry. And all the "A dropped B" talk is simply "failed to come to an agreement".

#77 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,690 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:47 AM

dont really make a lot of since to take it down long enough for Dish's facebook page to be bombarded with post Only to bring it back up :confused: glad to see it back but.... DAMAGE CONTROL NEXT TIME PEOPLE...

Well... we can only assume that no contract agreement was reached, and thus no contract, and Dish was legally obligated to stop carrying the channel OR it was pulled by Big Ten... either way, Dish would have no choice.

So... I'd say Big Ten is in damage control... The postings I see if I look at the Big Ten Facebook page is people noting that Dish just signed with the PAC-12, so it must be the Big Ten dropping the ball here... and I think Big Ten saw that writing literally on their wall... and figured it was in their best interests to extend again and try to work while keeping their games on the air.

#78 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

Well... we can only assume that no contract agreement was reached, and thus no contract, and Dish was legally obligated to stop carrying the channel OR it was pulled by Big Ten... either way, Dish would have no choice.

So... I'd say Big Ten is in damage control... The postings I see if I look at the Big Ten Facebook page is people noting that Dish just signed with the PAC-12, so it must be the Big Ten dropping the ball here... and I think Big Ten saw that writing literally on their wall... and figured it was in their best interests to extend again and try to work while keeping their games on the air.

I agree Im 100% with Dish...They showed they can make the deal (Pac12) but timing really sucked on this BTN deal...The avg customer will simply fly off the handle and immediatly blame dish.....Who knows why these things work out like they do I just know BTN better quit playing short term deal- roulette with dish....

#79 ONLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,690 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

Maybe the fact that Dish announced a multi-year deal with PAC-12 will help keep things moving for Big Ten.

#80 OFFLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 549 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

Just received this email from BTN---

I Want My BTN! Don't let DISH Network Drop the Big Ten Network

Big Ten Network (BTN) and DISH have come together to reach an agreement in principle for DISH to continue carrying BTN. We expect to finalize a long-term agreement soon and we thank fans for their patience.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...