Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

BTN & DISH Agree to Deal (was BTN, Dish Network negotiation at stalemate)

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   monoparadox

monoparadox

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

More like an Extra Point .....

according to Dish's Facebook " we have reached a short term agreement with BTN so that you are able to watch your college football! We hope to reach a long term agreement soon! -Cheri T. "

tHEY GONNA short Term the whole season ..lol

Well, we know how it feels being a pawn in a chess game.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   John W

John W

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:47 AM

Things didn't work out. Received 2:52 AM EDT today:

Attention Dish Network Customers:

Despite Big Ten Network's efforts to finalize an agreement, we are disappointed to tell you that DISH Network has decided to drop the Big Ten Network. As you know, BTN has been working around the clock for weeks to try and reach a deal with DISH. They are now unwilling to sign a contract.

DISH customers will miss the rest of the football season on BTN and over 400 Big Ten sporting events. Not only are you missing eight Big Ten games today, but several dozen more this season and over a hundred men's basketball games. It is unfortunate that DISH does not value BTN in the same way that so many of their customers do, including Big Ten students, parents, alumni and fans across the country. Furthermore, DISH customers will continue to pay DISH for a channel they no longer receive.

If DISH won't give you the games you want, others will. To find another BTN provider, go to IWantBTN.com or call 1-855-WANT-B10 (1-855-926-8210) for more information. Stay up to date on the latest developments on BTN's Facebook page and on Twitter (@IWantBTN).

Thank you for your support.

#83 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:44 AM

I honestly have to laugh at letters like these... They're always the most slanted, biased pieces of drivel ever put to paper...

Line by line they try to make it sound like only THEY were trying to finalize an agreement - and that DISH decided to drop the network (as opposed to BTN holding out for more money). They make the LUDICROUS claim about working "around the clock" - go ahead, show me the 24/7 schedule of what YOU did... "They" are now unwilling to sign a contract - yeah, the one YOU want to sign just as YOU don't want to sign the one that THEY want...

Then the list of all the stuff we'll miss out on. You know, here in the Northeast, the Big Ten doesn't mean much. Heck, north of NYC, college sports in their ENTIRETY mean very little unless Boston College makes a run (and sometimes UConn).

You know, they ARE right about ONE thing - DISH does NOT give me the games I want, since I can't get MLB Extra Innings - so I went and signed up for MLB.tv.

I'm sorry - I know there are fans out there for this.. And I'm sure they're not happy about not getting the channel they might want.. But that letter could have been a LOT more dignified and still exhorted their fans to contact Dish to find an agreement.

#84 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

Just received this email from BTN---

I Want My BTN! Don't let DISH Network Drop the Big Ten Network

Big Ten Network (BTN) and DISH have come together to reach an agreement in principle for DISH to continue carrying BTN. We expect to finalize a long-term agreement soon and we thank fans for their patience.

So... umm... what happened to this?

Wasn't it BTN that just last week was sending out notices that the deal was practically done? And now 1 week later they are back to Dish=evil, BTN=good?

IF a deal was so close last week for BTN to send out that email, what could possibly have happened this week to go the completely opposite direction and have them now ranting that Dish has killed BTN for the rest of the season?

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#85 OFFLINE   Beanie

Beanie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:28 AM

Welp, guess it's time to call directtv. I could stomach losing AMC, but this hurts!

#86 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

Welp, guess it's time to call directtv. I could stomach losing AMC, but this hurts!

Me too. I'm not cancelling today but it's getting to the point that I'll eat an ETF and switch back to D*.

2H/1J

#87 ONLINE   Riverpilot

Riverpilot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

Ugh... I feel for you all, losing the channel. Be well....

#88 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

Time for y'all to switch. Dish is going bankrupt when they lose ESPN next year.

#89 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 601 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

So, I am glad I made my move to DirecTV a couple weeks ago. I saw the writing on the wall. I suspect a number of customers will be joining me, especially the 400,000 who live outside the Big 10 region. And probably 25% of the other 2.1 million who live in the Big 10 region.

Oh yeah, still no PAC 12 network on DirecTV, they are at a roadblock similar to what DISH has with BTN. DIrecTV does have it squabbles, but certainly not to what I have seen at DISH over the last 14 years.

#90 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

Really? Prove that is going to happen.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#91 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,515 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:56 AM

So, I am glad I made my move to DirecTV a couple weeks ago. I saw the writing on the wall. I suspect a number of customers will be joining me, especially the 400,000 who live outside the Big 10 region. And probably 25% of the other 2.1 million who live in the Big 10 region.

It is a shame that it is the beginning of a quarter ... we will have to wait until February's release of quarterly reports to see if your claim of 900k lost customers comes true. :rolleyes:

Or we can accept the fact that "subscribers" to BTN via DISH include people who happen to have AT120+ or above and live in a BTN state and people who happen to have Multi-Sport for other reasons (perhaps the stand alone NFL Red Zone). 2.5 million people did not choose to subscribe to BTN.

#92 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,515 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

That would be a big risk on ESPNs part ... to throw away 14 million households and expect them to change to other providers? Especially when they can easily find the undercurrent of satellite and cable subscribers who want ESPN to be a la carte so they can DROP their channel?

When ESPN's contract comes up for renewal there may be a battle. There may be some time where ESPN walks away from DISH and refuses to be carried. It has happened before. But they would be absolutely stupid to walk away and stay away. ESPN needs subscribers as much as the systems that carry their signals.

Perhaps BTN will come to the realization that they need DISH as well ... or perhaps they won't. They claim 80 million households and if DISH is only 2.5 million of them they could survive without DISH subscribers.

#93 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

That would be a big risk on ESPNs part ... to throw away 14 million households and expect them to change to other providers? Especially when they can easily find the undercurrent of satellite and cable subscribers who want ESPN to be a la carte so they can DROP their channel?

If, as has been widely reported, ESPN costs close to $10/subscriber once you include all the extras, Dish could offer a serious discount over other providers. And since stats show that half of all households never watch ESPN, that would provide a serious incentive for non-sports fans to switch to Dish. ESPN could lose a lot more than 14 million subscribers with such a move. Risky indeed.

#94 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

If, as has been widely reported, ESPN costs close to $10/subscriber once you include all the extras, Dish could offer a serious discount over other providers. And since stats show that half of all households never watch ESPN, that would provide a serious incentive for non-sports fans to switch to Dish. ESPN could lose a lot more than 14 million subscribers with such a move. Risky indeed.

I think losing ESPN would be far riskier for Dish than it would be for Disney. Do you really think that a provider would discount it's product because it doesn't have a channel? Sure the rate would be lower, but I bet not by that much. And not by enough to replace the people who would drop Dish because of that.

#95 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,515 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

I would not expect an immediate discount if ESPN left DISH ... nor would I expect ESPN to return as an a la carte package. But as I noted - losing 14 million subscribers would not be good for ESPN. They would find a way to come to terms with DISH. The Weather channel thought they were a lock to stay on DISH but they found themselves restoring their channel to their previous format and refocusing on weather coverage once DISH forced the issue by letting them go.

There is no immediate replacement for ESPN's channels ... The Weather Channel could be replaced by another group of meteorologists with high tech software - ESPN has exclusive sports. But if ESPN pulls their feeds I expect Multi-Sport would be immediately provided as a replacement package with a discount for those already paying for Multi-Sport. I doubt the outage would last a month ... and I'm sure the people already looking for some reason to leave would leave but DISH would survive. They did it before and they can do it again.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves. ESPN's contract is not up. BTN is the network that made a carriage offer that DISH could refuse. It may be back by next weekend. It all depends on the ratings. DISH isn't as big of a piece of BTN's subscriber base as DISH is of ESPN's viewership. And I assume the viewership of BTN via DISH is low enough that DISH can do without the channel.

#96 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:04 AM

I would not expect an immediate discount if ESPN left DISH ... nor would I expect ESPN to return as an a la carte package.

I think we all know if this were to happen there would be some instant discounts given to anyone who called in about it. So while not a national discount there would be compensation.

With that said DISH will be fine without BTN just like DIRECTV will be fine without PAC 12. In fact I'd bet they just trade people with the amount of "hard core" fans that will swap. Everything else will just be business as usual. Neither of these will be a huge driving force but it may just add something to the argument of why someone would leave.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#97 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 822 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:41 AM

I suspect this is a case where Dish shot itself in the foot. In the middle of negotiations with BTN they gave in to Pac 12 for multiple channels. Why wouldn't BTN dig in their heels after that? I'm in BTN territory but don't watch it that much. My alma mater is in the Big East but moving to ACC next year. And I love SEC football which is free on CBS. Found more games than I had time to watch before BTN and I'll be fine without it if they never reach agreement. Would be really unhappy if I had to pay extra because Dish caved on a fee increase for BTN.

#98 OFFLINE   festivus

festivus

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

Well, now I don't have AMC (which I don't watch a whole lot), my local CBS station in Columbus (which I can get OTA but it makes recording shows a pain) and now BTN (which I do watch during football season).

I tend to be on the side of Dish in all of this. But it's getting to the point where I simply need a provider that carries the channels that I want. I might give a couple of more weeks but at that point I may have to consider DirecTV.
Panasonic TCP50S1 50 inch plasma in great room, Dish VIP622, Pioneer Surround System

Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector in basement, 106 inch gray screen, 2nd Dish VIP622. LG Surround System

db2 antennna in attic for both VIP622s

Time Warner Roadrunner

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. ~Carl Sagan

#99 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

I suspect this is a case where Dish shot itself in the foot. In the middle of negotiations with BTN they gave in to Pac 12 for multiple channels. Why wouldn't BTN dig in their heels after that? I'm in BTN territory but don't watch it that much. My alma mater is in the Big East but moving to ACC next year. And I love SEC football which is free on CBS. Found more games than I had time to watch before BTN and I'll be fine without it if they never reach agreement. Would be really unhappy if I had to pay extra because Dish caved on a fee increase for BTN.

Dish didn't give in to PAC-12 for multiple channels. In face Dish didn't give PAC-12 as good of a deal as Big Ten in terns of number of channels...

Big Ten has: Full time SD main channel, Full time HD main channel, 4 part time alt SD channels, 4 HD part time alt channels.

PAC-12 has: Full time SD main channel, Part time HD main channel, 4 part time alt SD channels, 4 HD part time alt channels.

So... PAC-12 didn't get a full-time HD feed at all! Big Ten did... otherwise, no difference.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#100 OFFLINE   monoparadox

monoparadox

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

Frankly, I don't care who is at fault. I want to watch my team. That's why I have a television in the first place.

Bye Dish.

spam firewall