Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

BTN & DISH Agree to Deal (was BTN, Dish Network negotiation at stalemate)

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   ehren

ehren

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

BTN only uses the alt channels for football. They charge $15 to watch other big 10 sports online per month!!! This is why I like how the PAC12 network has done it so far. 3 soccer and 3 volleyball games the past 2 nights. 1 on the main feed and 2 on the alternates. BTN you'd get 1 game and the other 2 would only be online. I hope Dish has this issue in the contract dispute.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:56 PM

Most of the time you'd be right... that DirecTV seems to have less disputes... but they seem to be getting smarter and joining the fray in fighting the channels... so I expect to see DirecTV more like Dish in the coming months and years.

That's one way to look at it. I'd say DirecTV has been smarter about it all along...hence the lack of lasting disputes and legal battles by comparison.
DTV = Digital Television

#143 OFFLINE   adunkle

adunkle

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:11 AM

I just saw on BTN.com that they have reached an agreement. I will have to check when I get home

#144 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:24 AM

"Big Ten Network (BTN) and DISH have reached an agreement that returns BTN to the DISH channel lineup. We're pleased that both sides could eventually come together, and we thank fans for their patience."

No Uplink Activity yet to restore the channels ... but that is good news.

#145 OFFLINE   monoparadox

monoparadox

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:19 AM

Thanks DISH and BTN. That saved me from a tough decision I was going to make next week if it was still in hiatus.

#146 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:12 AM

BTN is on now
Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

#147 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,499 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

And all that angst!
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#148 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,228 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

Big Ten Network Returns to DISH
DISH Customers Can Watch BTN Football Games Starting Today

ENGLEWOOD, CO -- (Marketwire) -- 09/22/12 -- DISH Network L.L.C. (NASDAQ: DISH) announced today that it has reached a new, multi-year agreement with FOX, part owner of Big Ten Network, for the rights to resume broadcast of Big Ten Network and its coverage of college football games and other sports content.

The agreement makes the BTN broadcasts available on DISH in time for today's games. DISH customers have not received the channel since Sept. 14 when a contract between the two companies expired.

"With BTN in our portfolio, and with the recent addition of Pac-12 Networks, we now offer more college sports than any other pay-TV provider in America," said Dave Shull, DISH's senior vice president of programming. "We think our customers will be delighted that they can watch all Big Ten games this weekend and for years to come; and we are proud to offer our channel lineup at the lowest everyday prices in the industry."

BTN is available on channel 439 in DISH's America's Top 120+ package in most areas of states with Big Ten Conference schools. The channel is also available nationwide in DISH's Multi-Sport Pack for $9 per month with a qualifying core package.

Terms of the agreements between DISH and BTN were not disclosed.

Press Release

#149 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

So, to summarize:

Week 1: You will lose BTN if Dish doesn't straighten up and fly right! but for the moment we are still negotiating.

Week 2: Dish is evil, say goodbye to Dish... oh wait, nevermind, Dish is still cool and we have an agreement in principle for long-term.. Yay Dish!

Week 3: Dish sucks... BTN will never ever be on Dish again... they are NOT cool, and you should switch to DirecTV today or else you will never ever see college football that matters again!

Week 4: Dish is the best! Tell all your friends how cool Dish is, Big Ten forever! Dish + BTN = BFF!

And they (both Dish and BTN) couldn't have just done all this without the angst and the prodding of customers to "act" on their behalf?

Glad to see BTN back... but could have done without all the hyperbole and stress they wanted to induce over this negotiation.

Frankly, I kind of like the AMC situation much better. The channels went dark, and we know they won't come back until a longterm deal is reached. No jerking around of the customers.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#150 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

So, to summarize: ........

Week 4: Dish is the best! Tell all your friends how cool Dish is, Big Ten forever! Dish + BTN = BFF!

Lmao

Frankly, I kind of like the AMC situation much better. The channels went dark, and we know they won't come back until a longterm deal is reached. No jerking around of the customers.

Agree.

#151 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,857 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

That's one way to look at it. I'd say DirecTV has been smarter about it all along...hence the lack of lasting disputes and legal battles by comparison.

If by smarter you mean charging higher prices to keep/get programming then yes. And they do have more subscribers so they are doing something right. But while these disputes do get old, I am paying considerably less then my friends with Direct with maybe even more programming, and indeed with nothing looking good for the economy one is ready to switch, another has talked about it. One may give up Mets games to pay less with DISH and get a couple of channels in HD. The challenge for Dish imho is to keep a clear difference in cost. That said, they have added most of the new sports channels from CBS and NBC, along with BeIn, etc... and have both the BTN and PAC12 now, Direct TV does not have both.

#152 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

Snipped

DirecTV does seem to settle these things quite quickly. The Viacom thing was quite surprising when it happened. But if you look, DirecTV is also more expensive for identical programming than Dish, and that is in part because DirecTV errs on the side of programming over price. Dish holds the line hard on price and is willing to kiss unreasonable programmers goodbye. In essence, Dish is doing the heavy lifting of keeping prices down.

The Viacom thing was more or less surprising mainly due to the coming out of nowhere. However the Versus span of time before being back on the air does seem to be a forerunner of the way these things will be going in the future. Add that to the PAC12 and it looks like DirecTV is starting to take a hardline too.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#153 OFFLINE   pfred

pfred

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

There is no way this was all just about 5 cents. It wouldn't even be in the Big Ten's interest to bother negotiating for just a 5-cent increase... as it probably costs them more to spend time negotiating than that would benefit them in revenue.

I agree we aren't getting the full story, though.

Don't jump to conclusions. Do you know if BTN is worth an extra 5 cents? As far as I am concerned, BTN is worth as much as the home shopping channel to me, and that is bupkus ($0).

#154 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

Don't jump to conclusions. Do you know if BTN is worth an extra 5 cents? As far as I am concerned, BTN is worth as much as the home shopping channel to me, and that is bupkus ($0).

You completely misread what I had posted. I didn't say whether BTN was worth another 5 cents... I said it wouldn't make sense for BTN to pull their feeds over a matter of 5 cents. They would lose more money over pulling the signal than they would make back if they get a 5-cent increase.

Moot points anyway since Dish and BTN came to a long term agreement.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...