Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Isaac Channels

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

Will we see any local coverage from the areas affected by Isaac? Sounds like a good time to turn the channels on if they are!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:55 PM

I'd be a bit surprised if they do.

#3 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

I know they did it with Irene. I'm a storm nut, so I'm just looking for something a little different than the overly-excited Weather channel reporter standing on the beach saying "hi, it's windy here!"

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:18 PM

I don't think Isaac is as big of a storm. Plus they need a local channel in 24 hour hurricane coverage that allows it.

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:58 PM

Take it from someone experiencing Isaac first hand as I type. It's much ado about nothing...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,283 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

Take it from someone experiencing Isaac first hand as I type. It's much ado about nothing...

That's good to hear.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#7 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

Maybe not much where you are, but I think the northern gulf area is going to have a different opinion.

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

Looks like a strong Cat 2 when it makes landfall. I don't see it weakening, especially with it being over open water for the next two days. New Orleans looks like it's right in the path. I'm guessing we'll see some local coverage by Tuesday afternoon.

#9 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

DIRECTV Launches Tropical Storm Isaac Information Channel

Channel Will Provide Local Network News Feeds Along the Storm Track and Red Cross Information to Aid Storm Victims

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- DIRECTV is launching a dedicated 24/7 "Tropical Storm Isaac Information" channel that will provide live broadcasts from local stations in markets affected by the tropical storm to DIRECTV viewers nationwide.

The DIRECTV-produced information channel will begin broadcasting at 9 p.m. EDT/6 p.m. PDT tonight and will air on viewer channels 325 and 349. DIRECTV plans to provide continuous coverage until the storm has diminished in strength.

DIRECTV will simulcast local news and information coverage from various stations in affected markets as the storm moves up from the Florida Keys through the Gulf of Mexico. DIRECTV will also provide graphical information to inform our customer base about potential evacuations, closures, event cancellations and any additional critical information as needed.*Storm preparation information will be delivered in graphical form from the American Red Cross along with information from other emergency organizations.

As DIRECTV tracks the storm it will manually switch to a local station in the affected market. The information channel will broadcast coverage from the following markets:

Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
Ft. Myers-Naples, Fla.
Tampa-St. Petersburg, Fla.
Gainesville, Fla.
Tallahassee, Fla.
Panama City, Fla.
Mobile, Ala.-Pensacola, Fla.
Montgomery, Ala.
Biloxi, Miss.
Hattiesburg, Miss.
New Orleans, La.
About DIRECTV:

DIRECTV (NASDAQ: DTV) is one of the world's leading providers of digital television entertainment services delivering a premium video experience through state-of-the-art technology, unmatched programming and industry-leading customer service to 33 million customers in the U.S. and Latin America. In the U.S., DIRECTV offers its 19.9 million customers access to more than 170 HD channels and Dolby-Digital® 5.1 theater-quality sound, access to exclusive sports programming such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET™, Emmy-award winning technology and higher customer satisfaction than the leading cable companies for 11 years running. DIRECTV Latin America, through its subsidiaries and affiliated companies in Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, and other Latin American countries, leads the pay-TV category in technology, programming and service, delivering an unrivaled digital television experience to 12 million customers. DIRECTV sports and entertainment properties include three Regional Sports Networks (Northwest, Rocky Mountain and Pittsburgh) as well as a 60 percent interest in Game Show Network. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please visit www.directv.com.

DIRECTV
Robert Mercer, (310) 964-4683
rgmercer@directv.com
or
Jade Ekstedt, (310) 964-3429
jlekstedt@directv.com
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#10 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

The channels are in the guide and on :) Currently FOX4 out of Ft. Myers

#11 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

Not quite as pleasant down here. A lot of rain and power problems, must have had thirty, at least, 2 second outages. I had one APC fail and another acting up. Certainly nothing at all like Wilma, but a major inconvenience nonetheless. And to top it off, I was on vacation in Key West and came home early yesterday.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#12 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,283 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

Yes. Live. This is a great service. Good customer focus.

Wonder why two channels? Different satellites?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#13 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,249 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:24 PM

And to top it off, I was on vacation in Key West and came home early yesterday.

I'm sure that was a pleasant drive up the overseas highway.

#14 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,820 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

I spent most of the weekend not too concerned about Isaac. But in the past two hours, the feeder bands have been awful.

Moving through at about 50 mph, massive lighting strikes nearby, super heavy rain where even the 101 sat went to all zero's for over 20 mins. And in the tornado box as I type.

Two brief power outages too.

So even a Tropical Storm without a direct hit is nasty.

#15 OFFLINE   Joe166

Joe166

AllStar

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:36 PM

I don't think anyone ever suggested that Lake Worth and Palm Beach would get much more than windy rain.

Even Key West was spared most of the dire consequences threatened by the local doomsayers. The local stations went into full "Chicken Little" mode yesterday and preempted all national feeds until early this evening. Almost comical, if it weren't so annoying.

I have a lot of respect for Mother Nature, having lived in the Carribean and South Florida all my life and in Southern Dade County during Hurricane Andrew, but this was massive overkill and most aggravating. I do feel sorry for the upper Gulf Coast, as it seems likely that this rather large, but weak storm has the potential to really get strong in the warm Gulf waters and might make landfall in the New Orleans area 7 years to the day that Katrina made landfall. Of course, the Corps of Engineers says the levees will hold, for sure! Sounds familiar.

The Weather Channel has some decent coverage, but their people, with a very few exceptions, are deadly boring.

#16 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

Not quite as pleasant down here. A lot of rain and power problems, must have had thirty, at least, 2 second outages. I had one APC fail and another acting up. Certainly nothing at all like Wilma, but a major inconvenience nonetheless. And to top it off, I was on vacation in Key West and came home early yesterday.

Lots of rain and wind here in Boca but no power outages or damages. When I left Lake Worth 3 hours ago I had about 2" of standing water in most of my yard and a lake in my back yard, that isn't normally there, but that's not a huge deal.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#17 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,728 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

I don't think anyone ever suggested that Lake Worth and Palm Beach would get much more than windy rain.

Hah, are you kidding? The local stations had us running for shelter, stocking up on water, gas, etc.

this was massive overkill and most aggravating

Most definitely.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#18 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:41 PM

That's what they all do, bring out the old fashioned generic hurricane checklist to kill air time.

#19 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,698 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

Wish they could get the HD feeds too.

#20 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

They put Hurricane info/graphics up during local commercial stopsets.

Wish it was automated, seems like the person in the control booth cuts back to the broadcast in mid-sentence. Kind of annoying.

spam firewall