Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Red Zone Channel without ST

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

How is NFL's red zone different from Directv?
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

How is NFL's red zone different from Directv?

Same format, different host.
DTV = Digital Television

#63 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

After paying $4 billion for an extension of the exclusive rights...it's not surprising that DirecTV wants to keep as many people as possible subbed to the package, rather than offering a prime feature of it as a stand alone. The NFL already made things more difficult for them by taking their idea for RedZone and creating their own version of it. Now DirecTV competitors can use it against them when vying for customers.

And to add insult to injury they named it the same thing.

#64 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

CORRECTION

checked my voice mail..Time Warner rep called me back for my hookup at the bar..

$5.95 for an individual

and $10.00 bucks for commercial..

Still knocks any price D* ever gave me for ST in the dirt !!

It is a good deal @ $6/mo for the "Sports Pass" to get RedZone. Keep it for 6 months during the NFL season and its $36, then drop it.

And its about time that TWC finally has NFL Network and they put it in the digital tier. When they took over for Comcast in my area and dropped NFLN, I dropped TWC. It took the lure of the Red Zone channel for them to finally spend the money on both channels.

When you say "knocks any price D* ever gave me for ST in the dirt", I'm not sure how you can compare the price of a single RedZone channel to the price of the NFL ST with full live games? Although, I was able to get NFL ST for $99. And for $65 more then what you will pay to get the RedZone channel, I think its a much better value. And some DIRECTV customers are getting standalone RedZone for free. So that beats TWC's deal.

Edited by RACJ2, 22 September 2012 - 08:06 AM.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#65 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

It is a good deal @ $6/mo for the "Sports Pass" to get RedZone. Keep it for 6 months during the NFL season and its $36, then drop it.

And its about time that TWC finally has NFL Network and they put it in the digital tier. When they took over for Comcast in my area and dropped NFLN, I dropped TWC. It took the lure of the Red Zone channel for them to finally spend the money on both channels.

When you say "knocks any price D* ever gave me for ST in the dirt", I'm not sure how you can compare the price of a single RedZone channel to the price of the NFL ST with full live games? Although, I was able to get NFL ST for $99. And for $65 more then what you will pay to get the RedZone channel, I think its a much better value. And some DIRECTV customers are getting standalone RedZone for free. So that beats TWC's deal.

but you were able to get that price because you're an individual and not a commercial establishment..unless I'm reading what you wrote wrong.

ONLY PLUS D* ever gave me at the bar was the ability to pay for ST for the bar at season's end in 1 shot. No discounted rate...We're what drives the engine and bean counters at D* they need us. If there were any perks other establishments got......

I

NEVER

GOT

THEM!!

I'm not feeling the pinch from not having ST at the bar so far..We get more Giants & Jets fans asking for the games ..So I'm cool what whatever other regional games CBS & FOX gives us on a given sunday...Pair that with Red Zone on some of my flats screens and I dont see myself shuttering my bar because I (me & my partners) decided to not get ST this year..We had a nice run from 2005 till 2011..Thats a wrap..In-fact I only got D* for my bar for the fantasy football faithful (Steady customers) that wanted access to the thursday night games on NFLN..ST was a throw in when I came on board..Plus D* has all 3 NY RSN's a must for my place...DISH has never carried YES network..and eventually lost SNY & MSG...One marriage I'm glad I never made, with DISH!!

SO some 49eres fans came in on week 1 and asked ..OH no more ticket this year..I said yeah the wallet pinch was too much...Customer then said...do you have RED ZONE ?? I will THIS SUNDAY!!!

so good for all you guys that somehow dealt with a nice CSR that likely didn't want to hear you complain about not having Red-Zone stand alone and just gave it to you to nicely get you off the phone...No sarcasm, really...Congrats to all you guys that were able to do that..Time Warner was very happy to take my order..

D* didn't even try to offer me a discounted rate or package it in 1 big lump payment to retain me...AND NOW I'M hearing the 30 Minute capsules aren't available to commercial establishments this season...Thanks D* for a big bowl of what you cannot do..

Game on everyone!! No more from me on this thread..Catch my posts on the HD anticipation board...Peace..

Edited by Santi360HD, 22 September 2012 - 09:56 AM.

#66 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

And to add insult to injury they named it the same thing.

I think theyre slightly different.

Directv = Red Zone Channel.
NFLN = NFL RedZone.

#67 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

Sorry, I wasn't referring to a business account. That is an excellent deal @ $10/mo. Especially if your clientele is mainly watching local games. Then the RedZone channel is where they can watch their fantasy players scoring.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#68 OFFLINE   mika911

mika911

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

I am in a TWC area and already hearing the rumblings about Red Zone due to last week's announcement.

I don't get to see my favorite team this week so I thought I'd call DirecTV and try to get Red Zone based on the fact I could now get it from my internet provider, TWC, if I switched to their TV service. At least that way I could see some key plays of my game this week.

The lady was really nice and said that based on my account we can have Red Zone for 2012 season. She put it on immediately.

Thanks DirecTV!

Furthermore, she said DirecTV's version of Red Zone is exclusive. ha.

#69 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

I am in a TWC area and already hearing the rumblings about Red Zone due to last week's announcement.

I don't get to see my favorite team this week so I thought I'd call DirecTV and try to get Red Zone based on the fact I could now get it from my internet provider, TWC, if I switched to their TV service. At least that way I could see some key plays of my game this week.

The lady was really nice and said that based on my account we can have Red Zone for 2012 season. She put it on immediately.

Thanks DirecTV!

Furthermore, she said DirecTV's version of Red Zone is exclusive. ha.

Directv's version of red zone is exclusive and different from NFL Networks version.
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#70 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 967 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:40 AM

I know verizon fios includes the nfl redzone channel in the ultimate pack for $15.00 more than the pack below it but that also includes all the cinemax,and showtime channels.

#71 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

Directv's version of red zone is exclusive and different from NFL Networks version.

DTV Redzone shows live game action, while NFL's only has announcers......

#72 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

Incorrect - both show live action.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#73 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

If your gonna do drugs dont post here.

#74 OFFLINE   DBSNewbie

DBSNewbie

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:31 PM

Incorrect - both show live action.

Out of curiosity...

Does NFL Redzone have a host, like Andrew Siciliano, to provide additional commentary, updates, highlights, two games side-by-side, etc. or does it just jump to the CBS/Fox coverage of the games they are switching to?

Thanks.
Slimline, WB616 (2), SWM8 (2), OTA, MRV (U)
Den: Sony KDS-60A3000 -> HR20-700; Sony KDL-40S2000 (5) -> HR20-700 (2) & HR20-100 (3)
Master Bed: Kuro PDP-5020FD -> HR34-700
Master Bath: Sony KDL-26S3000 + PSP -> HR24-200
Daughter's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR20-700
Son's: Sony KDL-40W3000 -> HR24-500
Kitchen: Sharp 20" -> H24-700
Guest: Sharp 20" -> H20-100
Patio: SunbriteTV 3220 -> H25-500
Living Room: Sony 42" XBR Plasma -> HR20-100

Diagram of Setup

#75 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Out of curiosity...

Does NFL Redzone have a host, like Andrew Siciliano, to provide additional commentary, updates, highlights, two games side-by-side, etc. or does it just jump to the CBS/Fox coverage of the games they are switching to?

Thanks.

Yes. Same format, different host.
DTV = Digital Television

#76 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Out of curiosity...

Does NFL Redzone have a host, like Andrew Siciliano, to provide additional commentary, updates, highlights, two games side-by-side, etc.

As Hoos said yep scott hanson from NFL Network hosts.
Does all that you mentioned even does a quad box of games at times.

They are basically the same.

#77 OFFLINE   Spoonman27

Spoonman27

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

First thing I noticed yesterday in switching between the two. Directv went to highlights only at 4:15 approx PT while the Comcast red zone feed kept going to 5 P.M PT. (I have both systems until the Pac 12 - directv situation resolves itself.)

#78 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:44 AM

I think theyre slightly different.

Directv = Red Zone Channel.
NFLN = NFL RedZone.

Distinction without a difference. If this were a trademark dispute it wouldn't fly.

I don't know how many conversations I've had where I mentioned watching Red Zone and then need to then clarify it's DirecTV's Red Zone, not the NFL networks Red Zone, and then need to go into the whole history of the thing for my non DirecTV friends.

#79 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

Are you calling me a liar?? On my local(neighbor's)T.W.C. in NY they DID NOT show any live actions of games between 1:00pm & 4:30..........

#80 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Are you calling me a liar?? On my local(neighbor's)T.W.C. in NY they DID NOT show any live actions of games between 1:00pm & 4:30..........

You said they only showed announcers. Can you explain what you mean by that? Are you saying you only saw camera shots of the announcers (commentators) in the booth or you only heard the commentary without video? I'm not sure what you mean...
DTV = Digital Television

Protected By... spam firewall...And...