Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Red Zone Channel without ST

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:13 AM

Side comment: I won't be surprised if, as part of the current contract discussions for renewing ST, Directv works an agreement wtih NFL so that Directv can offer the Red Zone as a stand-alone product, just like any other provider can.

What other provider offers ST?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#142 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:41 AM

called once again, and still say its only offered with ST.  Two years in a row. I use to call Directv and ask if they had any deals, and Directv would give me stuff left and right. Now I call and nothiIg, every so often they will give me showtime or starz. 

Im really thinking of swithing over to Suddenlink. They have Tivo, I can get a tivo and tivo mini's that are wireless or use cat 5.

No HD fee.

They have most of the HD channels that Directv has(most basic channels/prem channels.)

When you call, do you ask for retention?   (By saying 'cancel' at the menu prompt?)

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#143 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

What other provider offers ST?

I didn't say other providers offer ST, I said other providers offer NFL Red Zone channel. Directv's Red Zone channel is different, but they both serve the same purpose.

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#144 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:29 AM

They should give us Redzone to make up for cutting off ESPN 3D at the end of SEPT. No more Masters Golf in 3D LIVE or football and basketball games from last year!

Except its not Directv that is cutting off the channel, ESPN is....so I guess you could try to get ESPN to pay for your ST subscription.

#145 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,393 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

I didn't say other providers offer ST, I said other providers offer NFL Red Zone channel. Directv's Red Zone channel is different, but they both serve the same purpose.

I know, you said you wanted the NFL to allow DirecTV to offer the RZC as a stand-alone like other providers.  But since other providers only offer the RZC, to say they offer it as a stand-alone product isn't a fair comparison.

#146 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

Called today to cancel the HD Extra Pack. Rep asked if I was interested in ST. I said no, but would consider the Red Zone channel. He said he didn't think they offered that, but would transfer me to someone else. Next person didn't think so either, but also transferred me. Third person said he knew it could be done, but he couldn't do it and sent me on another transfer. The fourth person, thanked me for being a valuable customer and told me she could set me up with ST Max for $18 per month for 4 months. I told her I didn't want to increase my bill, so she offset it with a $15 credit per month for 15 months and another $10 credit per month for 12 months. I had to agree to a 1 year contract. Fine.

So, getting the full ST Max, and I'm saving $7 per month for the next 4 months, saving $25 per month for the 8 months after that, and saving another $10 per month for the 6 months after that. Altogether, I'm not only getting ST Max, but also saving a total of nearly $300 all for a 1 year contract extension.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#147 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

Sounds like a winner! 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#148 OFFLINE   bertman64

bertman64

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:40 PM

I am well aware that ESPN is cutting off their 3D programming and it has nothing to do with NFLST Redzone channel so no need to waste your time with a nasty moronic comment!

#149 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:03 PM

If you want to talk about ESPN 3D then search and revive the old thread about it, But I do agree that RZC should be a standalone channel. Maybe that was part of the deal even though it's not the NFL RZC.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#150 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:36 AM

When you call, do you ask for retention?   (By saying 'cancel' at the menu prompt?)

I don't think this is the way anymore(saying "Cancel" at the prompt that is....). Twice today I tried, but was sent to a regular CSR both times....I then asked to be transferred to "retention". 1st time was cut off, 2nd time finally put thru after lengthy delay. When I finally got to a rep, she was not very helpful and not as pleasant as most retention CSR's have been in the past.....Maybe times they are a changin'.....

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#151 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

I don't think this is the way anymore(saying "Cancel" at the prompt that is....). Twice today I tried, but was sent to a regular CSR both times....I then asked to be transferred to "retention". 1st time was cut off, 2nd time finally put thru after lengthy delay. When I finally got to a rep, she was not very helpful and not as pleasant as most retention CSR's have been in the past.....Maybe times they are a changin'.....

They are making it harder to reach retention CSR's.   You can try this instead and see if it works for you, since it worked for me.  When you call, say "promotions".  That sends you to a promotions CSR and they can offer things a regular CSR can't.  You may have agree to a 1 yr commitment though.  I received RZC free and NFL ST free, plus a $35 credit/mo for 12 months, in exchange for a 1 yr commitment that only extended my current commitment by a few months.

HR34-700, HR22-100

#152 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:17 AM

That's interesting because that's how I did it.

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

#153 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

That's interesting because that's how I did it.

Me too and she was very pleasant and very helpful.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5 SWM 16
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

HR44-500
ATT uverse internet

#154 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

As I stated in my post, this is the 1st time I've ever not been impressed with the CSR in retentions....I did try the "Promotions" at the prompt and I was quickly taken to that dept. and was helped by a very pleasant CSR and recv'd a nice deal on NHL CenterIce, which is the reason for all my calls today...

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#155 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

As I stated in my post, this is the 1st time I've ever not been impressed with the CSR in retentions....I did try the "Promotions" at the prompt and I was quickly taken to that dept. and was helped by a very pleasant CSR and recv'd a nice deal on NHL CenterIce, which is the reason for all my calls today...

You're Welcome! ;)

HR34-700, HR22-100

#156 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

I called and asked for promotions, the rep answered thanks for calling Directv promotions how can I help you. I asked for any type of promo on NFL ST or Redzone. Stated a early bird offer of $37 a month. I told them Ive got friends that got free ST for renewing 1 yr contract. NO GO> he then switched me to another rep and the only thing he offered was 2 months free SHOWTIME. Told them no thanks. told them I got a offer from Suddenlink to switch to them for a $300 credit. They still said there was no offer for NFL even with a renewal.

I give up!

#157 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,819 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

I called and asked for promotions, the rep answered thanks for calling Directv promotions how can I help you. I asked for any type of promo on NFL ST or Redzone. Stated a early bird offer of $37 a month. I told them Ive got friends that got free ST for renewing 1 yr contract. NO GO> he then switched me to another rep and the only thing he offered was 2 months free SHOWTIME. Told them no thanks. told them I got a offer from Suddenlink to switch to them for a $300 credit. They still said there was no offer for NFL even with a renewal.

I give up!

I wonder if you have something flagged on your account?

#158 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

I had to speak with Directv today regarding my account (was receiving 721 on some channels and a refresh wasn't working).  After my problem was resolved I inquired as to receiving ST Redzone channel as a stand alone.  Regular CSR transferred me to Retention.  The regular Retention rep said she didn't have access to provide me with Redzone or ST for free so she said if you say the "magic" word I can transfer you to somebody who does.  Naturally, I said, "Supervisor please".  Once connected to a great supervisor named Kevin all went well.  He stated that last year I received ST for free so my account was flagged this year.  I told him I only cared to have Redzone and not all of the games.  He stated that there was a promo for Redzone ala carte and he added it to my account.  Took a bit of time, but I'm satisfed.  The key was getting to the Retention supervisor.  BTW I'm a $200+ a month customer with Premiere and have been with Directv since 1995.  YMMV. 

#159 OFFLINE   KK in CT

KK in CT

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Not sure how some are getting Redzone channel as a stand alone.  That's all I'm really interested in.  Tried calling a regular CSR - no help.  Then tried the "promotions" route, but nothing doing there either.  Both times I was told the only way to get that was by subscribing to the NFL Sunday Ticket Max at $59.99/month.  That's way too much to pay for one channel. 

#160 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:14 PM

I don't know how they set it up for mine - once I got through (I used "Cancel" at the voice prompts), the CSR said at first that he didn't think he could do it, but went away for a bit then came back and said he could do it, no problem. We chatted a bit while he put things through (his mom is a teacher at the high school where my son went to school), and voila. I checked my account later and sure enough, it said Red Zone Channel special offer and no cost. 

I'm sure I'll find out if it really works next week. I enjoyed having the rest of the ST package, but RZC (or the ADD channel as my wife calls it) is all I care about (though I did like being able to glance at the Mix channel once every blue moon). I get pretty much what I need from the RZC.

Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...