Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Seeking Advice On Establishing MRV & Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tenn_

tenn_

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

I would like to establsh MRV service and a DirecTV internet connection. For equipment I have a HR22, 2ea HR23's, a H22 and a SWM switch installed. None of it is connected to my 3Mbps connection AT&T/Netgear "N" ADSL2+ modem/router yet.

I have a Cat 5e cable connection available between my H22 location and modem/router. I would like to replace the H22 with a HR34.

I recently received a letter from DirecTv offfering a free Cinema connection Kit.

What additional hardware will I need? Any suggestions on how I might I get what I need at the least cost greatly appreciated?

Thank you!

Edited by tenn_, 27 August 2012 - 09:00 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   caseyf5

caseyf5

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts
  • LocationBethpage, NY 11714

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

I would like to establsh MRV service and a DirecTV internet connection. For equipment I have a HR22, 2ea HR23's, a H22 and a SWM switch installed. None of it is connected to my 3Mbps connection AT&T/Netgear "N" ADSL2+ modem/router yet.

I have a Cat 5e cable connection available between my H22 location and modem/router. I would like to replace the H22 with a HR34.

I recently received a letter from DirecTv offfering a free Cinema connection Kit.

What additional hardware will I need? Any suggestions on how I might I get what I need at the least cost greatly appreciated?

Thank you!

Hello tenn_,

As someone who did his own upgrade I can tell you that you will not get a significantly reduced cost yourself buying the parts and it is even possible that you could even spend more than the cost that DirectTv will charge you for doing the complete upgrade. I started with a legacy slimline dish with 4 cables going to a Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch. For me it was just removing old parts and replacing them with all new required parts. Unless you get some discount(s) the cost of the HR34 is $ 399.00 and the technicians service call is $ 49.00 as far as I recall. You can politely ask for a reduced price but who knows if you will get it or not. Since you are going over the 8 tuner limit there are parts to be replaced and unless your are lucky a realignment of the dish might have to be done. Connectors could be replaced, 3 broadband Deca's (non H24 or H25 receivers as well as H2x except for HR24 and HR34 DVR's). You are best using the Cinema Connection Kit as it puts all of your DirecTV receivers/DVR's into you home network through the coax. The one thing that I find worrysome is your internet speed of 3 Mbps. A faster connection would be better if you are going to use VOD and other things using the internet. You might notice some things taking a long time to download. Good luck in whichever way you decide to go. :hurah:
My setup: 1 HR34/700 DVR no external HD, 1 HR24/500 DVR using WD 2TB Green HD and Antec MX-1 enclosure (used for CE) and 3 H24/700 receivers, 1 SL5 Dish (4 cable), 1 SWM16 Multiswitch, 1 Wired CCK. 1 Whole Home with DECA, 1 Sharp LC-37GP1U TV, 1 Sony Home Theater System HT-CT550W (Soundbar), 1 Impact 6x2 Component Video Matrix (Switcher) and 2 Sewell 1x2 HDMI Splitters with Ethernet, 3D Support and 4Kx2K Resolution with multiple hdmi cables with Ethernet.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

All of that is true, if there's a deal on the table you won't beat the cost. Of course that deal may only include the cinema connection kit and not the $99 truck roll. If there is already coax and internet in the same room then you can connect the cinema connection kit between them, and it's not that hard. I think someone has a connection graphic they can probably point you to that will help you understand.

If you don't have an open coax line in the same room, you must either run one or rely on DIRECTV (again, it's likely they'll charge you $100 or more) to do this.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

Ps if he doesn't have have swm then hr34 is $399, $49 truckroll, and either $99 cck or $199 mrv. (Fyi $99 cck and $199 mrv are identical work orders, cept $99 cck you have to call and turn on mrv your self) Most techs even think something is wrong when the cck orders don't turn on mrv automatically when the order closes.
My setup: 3x HR 23-700, 1x HR 24, 1x HR34, 4x C31's, WiFi CCK. Nomad...

spam firewall