Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New DTV sign up... old equipment what to re-use..or all new??

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   crashoverride

crashoverride

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:28 PM

So I'm looking at switching back to DTV for a third time (moving from FIOS love the uncompressed better images hate the Frontier pricing).

Anyways I have a pile of old boxes a R22 (they didn't have on record that they had given me) and a couple of ancient R10's my house was one of the first to get a single wire SWM. However it looks like when I sign up I will get all the boxes needed for free (except the HR34 at $99.00)

Long story longer is there any advantage to using the old R22 or well what do I do with it can it be sold reused etc??? Can I save any money by re-using??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

If your getting a unit that is SD receiver you can put the R22 in place of that unit and get DVR and HD till it dies. R22's are considered a SDDVR in D* systems if it ever fails you will get a R16 in return for it unless you get lucky and they have a working R22 on the dock that day. But over all no real benefit to reusing old equipment with a reconnected account. As for what to do with it. any that is considered owned you can sell or keep and use a travel unit(s) just activate them while on the road. Any that are leased. if your not going to use em recycle them.
And welcome back.

Edited by otaliema, 27 August 2012 - 02:14 PM.
Phrasing

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,492 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

I would seriously consider the HR34 at $99. It's their top box and the only one that's guaranteed. To get Whole Home DVR you need a minimum of one HD DVR and one HD receiver. The R22 will work with whole home as a second DVR.

Frontier is pricing themselves out of TV on purpose.

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,815 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

The R22 will work as an HD DVR on your account (with HD), so it is worth reactivating. The two R10's won't work with SWM, so I wouldn't even consider trying to put them back in service.

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,789 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

How many TVs do you have? Whats are you after at each tv? I would get all new all HD equipment myself.

And what do you have now, in total of tv and dvrs etc? What did you have when you where last with Directv? I ask these so I can suggest what you can do that might be as good or better than what you had before.

spam firewall