Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 displays progress bar every time the Advance button is pressed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   thunter913

thunter913

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

The issue is that the 30SKIP feature, which is invoked when pressing the Advance button on the DIRECT universal remote, displays the progress bar, which it should not do. This bug has been noted many times on this forum and has not been fixed as of the 0x0582 release.

The reason I am posting about this problem again is due to a request from DIRECTV tech support. I contacted DIRECTV about this bug and the tech support person asked if I would post to this forum and ask that anyone who is really annoyed by this problem to go to the DIRECTV website, look under the Help button and select the Contact Us link. Click one of the language links under the Email Us heading and send an email documenting the problem. If DIRECTV gets a spike in the number of users complaining about this problem, hopefully it will escalate it and the bug will get fixed.

I was hoping that DIRECTV would fix this problem before football season arrived. I am an NFL Ticket subscriber and I record many games on Sunday. I use the Advance button as a way of powering through the games and it is massively annoying to have the progress bar displayed everytime I press the Advance button.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

I assume that you did a restart of the DVR?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#3 OFFLINE   don s

don s

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Mine does not do this. The 30 SLIP displays it,the 30 SKIP does not for me.

#4 OFFLINE   raromr

raromr

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:15 PM

I believe this is a known issue. Mine does the same SLIP or SKIP.

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,726 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

How long is the Progress Bar displayed under 30SKIP??

My 30 Skip takes place inside one second, so if the bar would display it'd be just a flash of a frame or two.

You do know that hitting the Exit button immediately after FF push removes the bar right away?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   don s

don s

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

Mine does not do this. The 30 SLIP displays it,the 30 SKIP does not for me.

So I checked again and I was wrong. Mine does this on both now ...

#7 OFFLINE   thunter913

thunter913

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

A couple of points

(1) As I stated in my initial post this is a known issue. That is not why made the post. I am trying to get anyone who reads this and is annoyed by this bug as much as I am to email DIRECTV. Hopefully, if enough people do that it will cause a spike and maybe push up the priority of the bug so that it will get fixed quicker.

(2) As some of you pointed out the progress bar disappears in about a second. That is not the issue. The problem is that people like myself are are using the Advance button constantly to move through a recording and end up having the progress bar on the screen all the time. For example, I record an NFL football game. I start watching the game and at the end of the first play I hit the Advance button on the remote. The progress bar appears, then disappears. I watch the second play of the game, then hit the Advance button. Once again the progress bar appears then disappears. I do this the entire game, which as you can see, means the progress is on screen most of the time. None of the other DVRs, i.e. HR20, HR21, etc., put up the progress bar when the Advance button is pressed. Only the HR34 exhibits this behavior, thus this is a bug.

Some of you reading my wonder why users do this and the answer is to get through a 4 hour game in about an hour or slightly less. The time between each NFL play corresponds to approximately 30 seconds. When you watch a lot of football games on Sunday, which I do, you cannot do that unless you remove all of the extraneous stuff, such as time between plays, injuries, commercials, half time, etc.

Edited by thunter913, 27 August 2012 - 10:32 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,493 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

The progress bar coming up on 30SKIP is a known issue for the HR34.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#9 OFFLINE   dccatl

dccatl

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

I noticed this too after the 0x0582 update and it annoys me for the same reason (trying to watch recorded football quickly). I have posted a comment on the DirecTV website as you suggested.

#10 OFFLINE   MurrayW

MurrayW

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:49 AM

A couple of points

(1) As I stated in my initial post this is a known issue. That is not why made the post. I am trying to get anyone who reads this and is annoyed by this bug as much as I am to email DIRECTV. Hopefully, if enough people do that it will cause a spike and maybe push up the priority of the bug so that it will get fixed quicker.

(2) As some of you pointed out the progress bar disappears in about a second. That is not the issue. The problem is that people like myself are are using the Advance button constantly to move through a recording and end up having the progress bar on the screen all the time. For example, I record an NFL football game. I start watching the game and at the end of the first play I hit the Advance button on the remote. The progress bar appears, then disappears. I watch the second play of the game, then hit the Advance button. Once again the progress bar appears then disappears. I do this the entire game, which as you can see, means the progress is on screen most of the time. None of the other DVRs, i.e. HR20, HR21, etc., put up the progress bar when the Advance button is pressed. Only the HR34 exhibits this behavior, thus this is a bug.

Some of you reading my wonder why users do this and the answer is to get through a 4 hour game in about an hour or slightly less. The time between each NFL play corresponds to approximately 30 seconds. When you watch a lot of football games on Sunday, which I do, you cannot do that unless you remove all of the extraneous stuff, such as time between plays, injuries, commercials, half time, etc.

I finally found someone else who watches NFL games like I do! I can usually watch all Sunday NFL games this way starting at noon on Sunday and finishing up at midnight.

#11 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,726 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

I finally found someone else who watches NFL games like I do! I can usually watch all Sunday NFL games this way starting at noon on Sunday and finishing up at midnight.

Oh, I think there's more than a couple of us. 30SKIP works great unless the Hurry-up O kicks in! But I tend to watch 2-4 games a weekend, one or two of which are college.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall