Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv / Century Link Internet Deal

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   AWAX1978

AWAX1978

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:28 AM

Not sure if this is the best place to post so please redirect if needed.

I'm moving my D* service in about a week and took them up on the Century Link Internet deal. I've previously had Comcast (My only other option) and thought due to the low price and discount on my D* bill, I figured it was worth trying.

I'd like to know if anyone else is currently using Century Link as an ISP and if they are satisfied with it. I signed up for the 20Mbps which is what I had with Comcast. There are so many negative reviews on both Century Link and Comcast on the internet, it's hard to tell who's worse. I could care less about customer service, just want a reliable service that doesn't move like a slug.

Just in case, I'm hanging on to my rental modem from Comcast for a couple extra days, that way I can switch back in right away if needed.

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

Once they get it setup do a speed test. Once you get it installed it's going to be consistent. So it will be consistently bad or good however if it's bad you can make them fix it. I have a DSL, 20 MB, service and a 50 MB cable subscription and the DSL is great for what it's used for.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,863 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:45 AM

I had Qwest DSL (prior to Century Link buying Qwest) for a year. It worked fine, however the fastest speed I could get was 1.5 down, 768 up due to distance from the central office. Like you, my choices are very limited and I have tried every option I have to Comcast (DSL and Clear), but keep ending up going back to Comcast for internet. I hate that they (Comcast) have an effective monopoly due to city franchise permits.

#4 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 663 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

I have had Qwest/CenturyLink DSL for almost a decade now with no problems. I get 12 Mbps down/896k up for $19.99/month. What speeds are available depend on how big a city you live in/are moving to, I know some areas top out at 7Mbps and others top out at 40. Another factor you may want to consider if you're a cheapskate like me is that CenturyLink modems can be bought on ebay for under $15.

#5 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

I have had DSL with CenturyLink (formerly CenturyTel) for about 5 years. 1.5/256 was as fast as I could get, but recently I was upgraded to 4.0/512. In this rural area, it is DSL, dial-up, or satellite. Overall they have been pretty good with consistent speed over the years I have been with them.

DIRECTV
DIRECTV AU9-SL3 dish, SWM 16, HR44-700, HR24-100 2TB external HDD, HR24--200 1TB external HDD, HR24-200 1TB external HDD, HR21-700 receivers 2TB interal HDD, DECA Networked

C-BAND

7.5' SAMI C-Band dish, Chaparral Dual C feed, Norsat 8115C-Band LNB's, GEOSat Pro MicroHD, GBox V3000 Positioner

#6 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

I'm moving my D* service in about a week and took them up on the Century Link Internet deal. I've previously had Comcast (My only other option) and thought due to the low price and discount on my D* bill, I figured it was worth trying.

I'd like to know if anyone else is currently using Century Link as an ISP and if they are satisfied with it. I signed up for the 20Mbps which is what I had with Comcast. There are so many negative reviews on both Century Link and Comcast on the internet, it's hard to tell who's worse. I could care less about customer service, just want a reliable service that doesn't move like a slug.

Just in case, I'm hanging on to my rental modem from Comcast for a couple extra days, that way I can switch back in right away if needed.

I've had Qwest/Century Link for years as my ISP. My experience has been very good. I've got their 20mbps service and it should do well for you to handle D*'s VOD, Netflix, computers, laptops, and any handheld devices you're using....sometimes all at once. :)

A speed test should show you doing about 80% of the "advertised"....but speed tests don't tell you the whole story. a 1 minute speed test doesn't tell you if you're capable of sustained, loaded, speeds.

#7 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

I have the CenturyLink DirecTV bundle. I have been very happy with it. Get the cheapest modem they sell for your service and then get a good router. I am on the 20/800 service and pay $30.00 a month for it. I call loyalty once a year and get my plan renewed. Speed and reliability have been good and it is much cheeper then Comcast cable, the only other choice I have.

#8 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:44 AM

I had 'em (Qwest, actually) for about 4 years and although it was only 1.5mbps/512k, it felt faster for average web browsing than the 3mbps/512k cable connection I'd been using before. You could see the difference in when downloading files, though. Was very consistent and reliable. I stayed loyal for a long time just because of their stance against some of the new, proposed regulations like ACTA and their track record of refusing to cooperate with big media and politicians. When Centurylink bought them, it kind of went out the window for me and I could get a 50mpbs connection with the cable company.

#9 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:09 AM

I live in north-central North Dakota. I have a locally owned, independent telco. It leaves me with their DSL option. I have the 10 - 16 Mbps for $40.95 a month. My speeds are always between 12 & 13 Mbps. I figure jumping up to this tier is worth it. It's $8 more per month coming from 6 Mbps, doubling my speed.

The drawback is that there will never be a bundling option for me, and like I said, it's a local closed off system. Examples...

(The following 2 examples are, of course, not as relevant as they used to be.)

- Even today, there are no local AOL dial-in numbers.

- Going kind of hand-in-hand, there are no local dial-in numbers for tivo service.
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

#10 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:36 AM

I have D* (since 1998) and CenturyLink (w/ 10Mbps DSL) and get the $5 per month discount. I have separate bills since the phone/DSL is a business expense. I occasionally have to reboot my DSL modem, but that's about it. I would never give a dime to Comcrap.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#11 OFFLINE   amh84

amh84

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts
  • LocationNogales, Arizona

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

I've had the CenturyLink (Qwest) bundle since 2007. Not great at 1.5 Down/768 Up, but it's the only thing out here. Saving $5 just for being a customer of both is really the only draw. Supposedly, this area of So. Arizona is going to be testing out "rural fiber" sometime "soon". We'll see what that entails.

HR34-700, HR22-100, C31 x3

#12 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

I used Century Link DSL for a couple of years and it worked pretty much ok. There were occasional outages. There are 2 things I have against Internet service with the big phone company; (1) To get the promotional rates you have to bundle in one of their high profit overpriced packages, and (2) When there's a problem on their end, trying to get it fixed is like talking to a brick wall. I was with Verizon before that and I'm speaking generically for both them and Century Link now. They will not even consider the problem to be on their end until they've dragged you through the full customer-end troubleshooting script. (Router plugged in, cables plugged in, let's go through every Windows network setting that exists, etc.). One time when I called they dragged me though this stuff for an hour, then the script finally said to reset my port (on their end), and that fixed it. Another time I spent at least 30 minutes to get to "oh, I see we do have an outage in your area". I finally learned that when the line goes down, just kiss it off for 24 hours and it will probably be back up, with some other poor sucker having wasted their time. I'm with a small local ISP now, the rates are lower, the line speed is faster, and if there's a problem they don't assume you're totally clueless and work with you to drill down to the cause pretty quickly.

#13 OFFLINE   latinkreationz

latinkreationz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

I've had Qwest now CenturyLink for almost 3 years and bundled with D*. I'm currently on 40/20 which has been consistent since the day I signed up. I switched from Cox because of their terrible service and constant modem reboots. I've been a happy camper.

#14 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

20meg sounds like fiber to the trunk, which is awesome. I have 25meg from Comcast at the moment because it's the only thing available and I'm paying $73 per month(I know I could call in and get discounts but I like to think of myself as a good customer and not a smart consumer:) ). I'm curious to know what happens after your move as I have FiOS internet coming to the area soon and plan to switch based on reliability and available speeds. It will be fiber to the trunk as well.

#15 OFFLINE   pandafish

pandafish

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:48 PM

I have had Qwest/Centurylink DSL since 2006 when I started working for Qwest. I have had from 1.5M to 7M. It has always worked consistently with little problems. Occasionally the modem disconnects and it can be solved by unplugging and plugging back in. It happens maybe one a year. I upgraded to 12M a couple of months ago and have been very pleased. Tests show consistently between 10.5 to 11.5.

spam firewall