Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Would this work as EHD?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 800 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:01 AM

I have a chance to buy a Western Digital My Book Essential 500 GB manufacturer refurbished external hard drive for $70. I want to backup my 622's recorded programming. Don't have a lot saved but some can't be replaced. I already use a My Book with my PC so I know it has its own AC power pack and is USB 2.0. Any reason this drive won't work with my 622? What about with the newest receivers? I'll have to upgrade someday.

Also, approximately how much disk space does 1 hour of HD programming take?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:45 AM

It should work. Note that you are not really doing a backup. You move programming to the EHD.

#3 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

Agree, it should work. Off the top of my head, you'll be able to record a bunch of hours with 500Gbs. Not sure, but I also think it'll work on a 722/722k ... but I'll defer to the resident experts. Have no clue about the 900-series or the Hopper.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#4 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 455 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

I have a My Book Essential 1TB on a 622. It works fine.

Klang is right. This isn't a backup. Programs are moved (manually, by you) from the DVR internal drive to the EHD. They can then be viewed directly from the EHD, or they can be moved manually back to the internal drive. However, only one copy ever exists of any given recording.

Keith

spam firewall